What's new

Everyday Shave

I am soon going to be in a situation where I will have to shave every single day (police academy). I currently am able to shave around every 3 days with minimal irritation, although, I do have sensitive skin and any less than that + going against the grain will give me irritation. Are there any recommended blades/skin products or that I could use to speed up the healing process so every day shaving will be feasible? Thanks

lasta

Blade Biter
What do you use now?

To be honest, most people starting off with DE shaving get more irritation vs cartridge in the beginning. It's a matter of getting used to it and developing shaving technique.

As for gear. A BIG IMO YMMV thing, all subjective.

For me:

Brushes make no difference
All razors are just blade holders
Most soaps/creams work equally, just have to dial them in. More water almost always equal more slickness.

Blades do make a difference:

Too sharp (feather) and you have a higher chance of digging the edge into your skin/scrapping causing irritation (especially for beginners).
Too mild/dull and you risk tugging on the hairs causing irritation.

Russian made Gillettes generally considered a sweet spot for ~90% of shavers. Gillette Silver Blue is particularly popular, I agree.

You just need a socially acceptable shave, it doesn't have to be super close. You don't have to go ATG. You should be able to find a mild razor/sharp blade combination that you can use every day. For example, Muhle R89 with Gillette Nacet or Personna Lab Blue. Build a good lather and you should not get irritation.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I am soon going to be in a situation where I will have to shave every single day (police academy). I currently am able to shave around every 3 days with minimal irritation, although, I do have sensitive skin and any less than that + going against the grain will give me irritation. Are there any recommended blades/skin products or that I could use to speed up the healing process so every day shaving will be feasible? Thanks
Surround by close family who are police or military. I get it. Agree with @BigJ. Also highly recommend a soothing aftershave balm. If you're in the US, Walmart carries Nivea Cooling Balm at under $5/bottle. Its non-greasy and really cuts down on irritation. Also, it sounds like you may eliminate ATG daily. Good call in the short term as you figure out what works for you.

Thank you for your service. It is a most honorable profession!

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
May God bless and keep you safe! I too started at 21 as an LEO.
I shave most every single work day and mostly with the grain. I get what I call a work acceptable shave. So long as they see you as clean shaven at the start of the day they accept that your whiskers grow very fast.
Good luck!

I shave daily and find good soap and aftershave help (PAA is my favorite at the moment). As others have said maybe forego the atg pass if that's going to be too much for your skin. Maybe look into a more efficient razor that will give you an acceptable 1-2 pass shave....less strokes equals less irritation. Best of luck with your shaves and the academy.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Perhaps not the most practical advice, but when I began committing to using a straight razor my issues with irritation disappeared. I don’t shave ATG and often do a single WTG pass with great results. I’m a daily SR shaver and always offer that as an alternative when other methods are not producing the preferred results. Good luck figuring out what works for you..

I shave every day. For me technique is the key, especially:
1. No pressure, and
2. Proper razor angle.

Good prep, a fine soap, an optimal combination of razor + blade, etc. are helpful but secondary.

This!!

If I had to shave every day then I would chose my DE89 for the job. Also, I would only go for an acceptable shave -- I would just take the whiskers off and would not go for a BBS or a DFS.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Just shave downward, with the grain. First pass takes off most of the hair in any case. No sense chasing a BBS if you have irritation issues and have to shave daily. Cold water splash before and after and rinse the razor in cold water. It helps cool your face and neck. Get a good slick soap or cream. Only shave lathered areas...no repeated passes after the lather has been removed. Re-lather first! Use a mentholated Witch Hazel product or aftershave to help cool your face after the shave. And, as has been said already...easy on the pressure when shaving.

And Happy Shaves! Good luck at the Academy.

God Bless.

What do you use now?

To be honest, most people starting off with DE shaving get more irritation vs cartridge in the beginning. It's a matter of getting used to it and developing shaving technique.

As for gear. A BIG IMO YMMV thing, all subjective.

For me:

Brushes make no difference
All razors are just blade holders
Most soaps/creams work equally, just have to dial them in. More water almost always equal more slickness.

Blades do make a difference:

Too sharp (feather) and you have a higher chance of digging the edge into your skin/scrapping causing irritation (especially for beginners).
Too mild/dull and you risk tugging on the hairs causing irritation.

Russian made Gillettes generally considered a sweet spot for ~90% of shavers. Gillette Silver Blue is particularly popular, I agree.
I do have heavy growth and thick/dark hair. Well, I have a DE with feather blades, they cause me irritation. I usually use a Gillette Fusion5 and using that against the grain kills my skin, but WTG is usually fine. Being that I have such dark and thick hair, I will not get an adequate shave just WTG. I will check out Russian made Gillettes, do you have any recommendations for razors a couple steps down from feather? Thank you

You just need a socially acceptable shave, it doesn't have to be super close. You don't have to go ATG. You should be able to find a mild razor/sharp blade combination that you can use every day. For example, Muhle R89 with Gillette Nacet or Personna Lab Blue. Build a good lather and you should not get irritation.
If I do not go ATG, I do not get an adequate shave due to my thick/dark hair, but I am using a DE with feather blades. They do cause a great deal of irritation, even after many days. For lather I am using proraso sensitive skin.

Surround by close family who are police or military. I get it. Agree with @BigJ. Also highly recommend a soothing aftershave balm. If you're in the US, Walmart carries Nivea Cooling Balm at under $5/bottle. Its non-greasy and really cuts down on irritation. Also, it sounds like you may eliminate ATG daily. Good call in the short term as you figure out what works for you.

Thank you for your service. It is a most honorable profession!
I wish I could do without going ATG, but my hair is just too dark for that. I will definitely look into Nivea Cooling Balm. Thank you!

May God bless and keep you safe! I too started at 21 as an LEO.
I shave most every single work day and mostly with the grain. I get what I call a work acceptable shave. So long as they see you as clean shaven at the start of the day they accept that your whiskers grow very fast.
Good luck!
Hopefully they do, Thank you!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Loads of good advice...prep, technique, etc. I agree that the blade is key here, and I am a fan of Gillette Silver Blues. I agree that a razor is just a blade holder, but they differ in the way they hold the blade, affecting the angle, etc. For me the combo of an EJ DE89 and Gillette Silver Blues will be the best reasonably priced solution.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Straight razor truly shave-ready with ARKO. Daily for thirty days and your problem is solved. WTG + 2 x XTG will give you at least a DFS with no ingrowns or irritation.

Thank you for your service and best wishes to you at the Academy and in your career.

Loads of great advice already. With the grain, light touch (less pressure) and good prep.
Personally, I found Personna Platinum Chromes to be a great blade. Lately, I have found injectors to be awesome, easy, smooth, and efficient. And, I think the longer handles make them more like cartridge razors.

Reactions: GNR

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I shave every day. For me technique is the key, especially:
1. No pressure, and
2. Proper razor angle.

Good prep, a fine soap, an optimal combination of razor + blade, etc. are helpful but secondary.

Just my $0.02!
I agree 100%. I'm willing to bet all of BigJ's money that you're using too much pressure (I'm sure he'll appreciate that).

It's possible you're using a razor that's too aggressive for your face/technique, but less pressure and proper razor angle can get most people through just about any razor. If you've got a little cash you might want to consider a milder razor, or an adjustable (maybe an old Gillette).

What you can do immediately: skip the ATG pass. Two passes should be plenty for the academy (nobody will be kissing you). You might even try getting away with one WTG pass (or try two WTG passes). Less pressure. If you're not dropping the razor in the sink you've got more than enough pressure.

And stop using Feather blades, the most unforgiving blade on the market. There are more than a few almost as sharp blades that are much more forgiving.

For me, my skin took a while to get used to both daily shaving as well as regular ATG shaving. Using a preshave oil prior to the final ATG pass and applying lather on top pretty much completely nullified irritation and might be something worth looking into. Using a scritchier boar might also add to irritation. There is a night and day difference between my synth and my VERY well broken in boar. Synth is much softer and doesn't scratch the skin, maybe just a gentle scrub and even then the jury is still out. Every morning, seven days a week adds up if you're a face latherer. Almost any soap/cream will work well as long as you know how to lather it properly and don't react to any of its ingredients. Imo, only do an ATG pass every 3 days and only use cold water. Use pre-shave oil prior to going ATG and just do that for a month or two before trying it without and increasing frequency of ATG passes.

First of all good luck at the academy. I wish you the best at the start of your awesome profession.

Great advice above. I’m going to recommend 2 (or 3) WTG passes with no pressure and the correct angle.

Your shave will look good and pass inspection. If you have dark whiskers, you’ll always have some shadow but the multiple WTG passes will cut down on chances of irritation and once again I mention, pass inspection. (Previous career: daily shaver/inspection and this works:nobody is running their hand against the grain to check your shave.)

Best of luck on the shaving. Thanks for choosing to serve your community.

Top Bottom