What's new

Every time I shave with my Ikon Tech, I get major tugging

I've had an Ikon Shavecraft Tech for a year now. Like advertised, it is plenty aggressive, but the shaves are rough and uncomfortable. I stopped using it for a while because it just didn't shave me as well as my Fatip Grande. Tonight I shaved with the Ikon Tech again. I prepped with a hot shower (as usual), I lathered up my Frankensoap (VDH Luxury + VDH Deluxe + Col. Conk Lime) and again noticed the razor wasn't mowing down the hair effortlessly. I had one day of beard growth, lathered with a synthetic (game changer knot), and added more water after the first pass to make sure my lather wasn't too dry (didn't help). Blade was a Personna (comfort coated, white wrapper). Has anyone else had this experience, or am I doing something wrong? I never have issues with my Fatip Grande, unless my blade isn't sharp enough. I plan to experiment further, but I'm at a loss as to what the issue could be. The tugging was unreal under my nose and on my chin when I shaved ATG. Perhaps I'll use a sharper blade, but a Feather seems like overkill.

Ikon Tech is maybe the most aggressive razor ever made. My own experience is that more aggressive razors requires sharper blade or they will tug.

For this reason I use only KAI and Feather in my own R41. Anything less sharp will tug for me.

Some blade, razor, beard combo's just don't work. Also how old was the blade? I used the same razor and blade(1st use) today as you and had a fine shave.

I have this same issue. I've decided that using a Feather actually helps, and that being very patient helps a lot. Very slow and short strokes, with much buffing. I have an old hide, so my skin rarely gets irritated. If I follow protocol, I get a great shave. My R41 2011 is more friendly to my face, however, and most of my Gem blade razors give me a shave that's as close, even if milder.

I've had an Ikon Shavecraft Tech for a year now. Like advertised, it is plenty aggressive, but the shaves are rough and uncomfortable. I stopped using it for a while because it just didn't shave me as well as my Fatip Grande. Tonight I shaved with the Ikon Tech again. I prepped with a hot shower (as usual), I lathered up my Frankensoap (VDH Luxury + VDH Deluxe + Col. Conk Lime) and again noticed the razor wasn't mowing down the hair effortlessly. I had one day of beard growth, lathered with a synthetic (game changer knot), and added more water after the first pass to make sure my lather wasn't too dry (didn't help). Blade was a Personna (comfort coated, white wrapper). Has anyone else had this experience, or am I doing something wrong? I never have issues with my Fatip Grande, unless my blade isn't sharp enough. I plan to experiment further, but I'm at a loss as to what the issue could be. The tugging was unreal under my nose and on my chin when I shaved ATG. Perhaps I'll use a sharper blade, but a Feather seems like overkill.
try a different blade. not all blades will work the same in all razors. or use a fresh blade, old blades can tug. just experiment, youll get it

The two things that cause tugging for me: blade not sharp, and too steep an angle.

First thing I would do is pop in another blade, if not Feather than one of the well regarded Russian's (GSB, 7OC Green). Bet that makes a huge difference.

Perhaps PIF or sell the razor. I hate to not be able yo use a razor, but sometimes that happens. I tried Schick injectors and just couldn't get them to wok for me. Vexed me somewhat, but I just moved on to something that worked. Life is too short to have bad shaves.

Agree with using a sharp blade, but also try a steep angle for the Shavecraft Tech (handle more parallel to the face). I personally prefer Gillette 7 O'Clock Black blades for a very sharp but smooth blade, but certainly Feathers are good as well. Use almost no pressure, as this razor can bite if not handled with care. Personally, I have stopped using my iKon Tech and Muhle R41 (both great razors I used to use regularly) in favor of the Merkur Futur, which gives me the same quality of shave even on a setting like #3 without the same risk of blood spillage and with much more comfort. Another razor that gives me the same quality of shaves is the Merkur Progress (mine is a Mergress) or the new Parker Variant, which is an improved version of the Progress. Good luck!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
You have to use the proper angle.

Attachments

• $el4IF.png
    $el4IF.png
    7 KB · Views: 76
Israeli Personna Reds were my blade of choice. I thought that I wouldn't find something better.

I then got feathers and was scared it wouldn't be smooth. Well the feathers showed me where my technique was lacking.

Now, I can NOT go to any other blade because I will experience the tug. And I don't get razor burn or irritation, the limited variability here. Feather ftw. Try them. I use them in a merkur Futur at #4 no problem

Update: I used a Feather, and while it was better than the Personna, there was still some amount of tugging, and the shave overall felt a little rough. Even WTG it's a bit uncomfortable, but ATG is far more uncomfortable. I don't understand why people say I'm using an improper angle, in my experience, if I'm not using a certain angle in certain areas of my face, then the blade isn't going to make contact. My other razors don't seem to have this problem.

So, the Feather was certainly an improvement, but it didn't smooth out the razor. It was still a little uncomfortable. I did get a close shave, but comfort matters too. Plus, the razor just feels a little uncomfortable on my mustache area. I don't think I'll get rid of it, but I think this is a razor I'll reach for only when I want to get a close shave in one pass. Will not use this razor ATG again.

Keep at it, it took me a little time to figure it out. I know the sensation you are talking about..I found for me that Feathers work the best, and I played around with the angle (mainly steep), this was important. Once I hit the sweet spot, with NO pressure, it just started gliding along and I was blown away. I'ts my favorite modern razor , and I get zero irritation. Again, just use the weight of the razor. To me, this philosophy relates to this razor the most.

Last edited:
Top Bottom