What's new

Every-Ready 150B restore underway

Pics to follow...

I am searching for info on the Best Badger from TGN, but it seems everyone favors the Finest Badger.

Pics to follow...

I am searching for info on the Best Badger from TGN, but it seems everyone favors the Finest Badger.

There's a few posts about Best around, you've just gotta find 'em.

Finest is probably the most popular bang for buck knot.

I've used a 16mm Best knot in my vintage bone handle

A bit scrubby for my liking...but that's just me :biggrin1:

Test fit:
proxy.php

This is the 22 mm short lofted (55 mm) best badger from TGN. I do think the hairs are plenty soft enough. I am thinking that a larger loft would look a bit better with this handle, which is sitting next to my EJ mediuim best badger from C&E. The knot plug is sitting right at the top of the brush here (You can see the glue just above the brush's lip.). I'll have to open the hole just a little more down below to seat the plug lower. It isn't the bulge of the hair that is holding it back. This would give it an even lower loft when all is said and done. Let me know what you think (As you can tell, I'm leaning toward getting a higher lofted knot! I think I'd like to end up with at least 55 mm of loft.).

Another comparison: my VDH boar has a higher loft in a shorter handle. Just thinking this knot looks a little undersized.

BTW: Fast ship from TGN to me in FL!

Last edited:
Test fit:
proxy.php

This is the 22 mm short lofted (55 mm) best badger from TGN. I do think the hairs are plenty soft enough. I am thinking that a larger loft would look a bit better with this handle, which is sitting next to my EJ mediuim best badger from C&E. The knot plug is sitting right at the top of the brush here (You can see the glue just above the brush's lip.). I'll have to open the hole just a little more down below to seat the plug lower. It isn't the bulge of the hair that is holding it back. This would give it an even lower loft when all is said and done. Let me know what you think (As you can tell, I'm leaning toward getting a higher lofted knot! I think I'd like to end up with at least 55 mm of loft.).

Another comparison: my VDH boar has a higher loft in a shorter handle. Just thinking this knot looks a little undersized.

BTW: Fast ship from TGN to me in FL!

Looking good :thumbup1:

I'd open up the hole enough to sit the knot where it is and then just silicon in the knot ( or if you just widen the hole enough just have it "hanging" there ) and then give it a whirl. If you like it at that loft, density, scritchiness ( don't forget that the denser the knot the more scritchy it'll probably become ) then just two part epoxy it in and away you go.

If you decide it's too lofty then just widen the hole a bit more, set the knot a bit deeper and repeat above until you get your "sweet" spot.

I've done a couple of brushes where the loft looks a bit weird visually initially but once it's bloomed it'll look heaps better and more proportioned

Here's probably my "worst" case one, loft at 45mm, it's a big long handle. :001_smile
proxy.php
proxy.php

( Don't forget....blame Hex ..... < points above > :lol: )

Last edited:
Agreed. I think when it is in blossom it'll look much better. I'm going to give it a go just a little lower and see how it looks and performs. Thanks for looking in again!

Final test fit:
proxy.php

I trimmed a cork and widened the hole a bit down deep and I like where the knot sits now. The entire opening of the brush is filled with hair to its edges. It looks "full." Next photo: After I use it!

Last edited:
Nice work Fl. It looks a lot better in the final test fit finished product without the glue plug showing.

Just for clarity, what is the final loft as it looks pretty short to me. ??
I am guessing around 46mm ??

And I guess Fidjit is off the hook, at least partially.

Thanks for the kudos. Looks to be about 47mm, maybe a touch more. Pretty darn close to what you estimated!

Gonna have to go with more loft next restore...

Last edited:
I just epoxied the knot in after lightly sanding and cleaning the sides and bottom of the plug and the inside walls of the handle. I used the Devcon 5 min stuff. I hope I used enough. I was worried that I would have epoxy squeezing out around the edge of the knot at the top of the brush, so I coated the top of the cork and painted the sides and bottom of the plug before setting it in the brush handle. No epoxy squished out, but I'm wondering if I was too miserly with the epoxy. I saw in another thread that you like to use a small amount, too, fidjit, and I hope it holds. There was enough epoxy on the bottom of the knot to almost drip off, but not quite. Maybe I ought to have painted the inside walls of the handle rather than the sides of the plug...

Tomorrow will tell...

I found another thread where a poster said he likes the plug to be pretty tight against the walls of the brush and he relies on just a bit of epoxy on the base to secure the plug. I used plenty of epoxy if I go by that direction.

I didn't really do much (OK...anything) to secure the cork in the handle, either...

Ya should be fine mate.

Worse comes to worse you just have to reglue the knot IF it falls out. :lol:

Sounds like you used about the same amount as I normally use and I've never had one come out YET !! :lol:

The only other thing I will do ( and it's a bit late now ) is scratch/score the inside of the knot hole and the knot holder just to give a bit more "hold"

Don't forget to post post bloom piccies :thumbup:

Nice little face scrubbing monster you have there.

One thing I do and you might consider on your next one, is to glue the cork in after you have worked out the loft. Let the glue set, then glue the knot on top. I was thinking that the loose cork might rattle around a bit, but if it's a snug fit, then that won't happen.
It makes the brush a bit heavier if that's ok.

Good job FL. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom