What's new

Every Man Jack - Cedarwood "brush or brushless" cream

Anyone ever used this stuff?

My order just arrived and I'm about to try this out tonight. I've used their cedarwood bath soap before and remembered the scent to be distinctly manly; I'd often shower with it before shaving with my AOS Sandalwood right when I first started wet shaving. But anyway...

$uJyku.jpg

I did a test lather in my hand using the EMJ synthetic brush which also arrived today, and I lathered up the little bit that was stuck to the inside of the lid. What a slick combo! Again, I haven't shaved with it yet, but the test lather in my hand seemed to work quite nicely, and the smell is still faintly lingering on my hand a couple hours later.

I'll update you all post-shave tonight. And I think the brush is great so far, deserving its own thread in the brush subforum.

I've tried the tub listed here as well as the mint shave cream in a tube. I really liked the tub of cedarwood. It was one of the first creams I received when starting DE. I did not like the mint shave cream in a tube. It didn't lather at all. Maybe it's not supposed to. Just didn't like it.

I just picked some of this up (Cedarwood in the tub) since I have been very pleased with a couple of their products, in particular the ASB and their bar soaps, especially the Cedarwood. The scent of the bar soap isn't strong, but still very noticeable, pleasing and masculine. It's also a great value, has great ingredients and pretty moisturizing for a bar soap. The cream has the same scent, but to me is much weaker/fainter than the bar soap. Also, when I opened it up it almost has a bit of a fishy undertone to it. Not sure if I got a bad batch or something. It doesn't produce crazy amounts of lather, but the lather it did produce seemed pretty slick (I didn't shave with it yet, just bowl lathered and then applied it to my face) and seemed to get bette once I applied it to my face. The 'fishy' undertone to it seemed to disappear once I started bowl lathering it, but when I went back and smelled the tub, that fishy smell fas still there.

I've used this a few more times and can attest to much of what ODJ has said above. I wouldn't describe it as "fishy" (YMMV), but there's definitely something odd-smelling and non-cedarwoodlike about the aroma. It doesn't smell too much like that on the face, but something in there makes it smell different from their other cedarwood products.

And yes, it doesn't really make a lather EXPLOSION; just be sure to use a generous amount of product and don't skimp on the water. Once it really gets going it's kind of soupy, but slick and lubricating. I might not buy another tub of this stuff, but I'll be fine using up my tub until it's empty. The container looks like it would re-purpose quite well as a soap holder. But I digress... it's a decent cream at a fair price.

Top Bottom