What's new

Every deodorant smells disgusting to me, any help?

I’m having a problem. I had a relative that worked for a distributor and have used an old stock of Gillette cool wave for as far back as I can remember. It’s depleted now and when I went to the deodorant aisle for the first time in years, I noticed something.

I don’t know if it’s just me/my nose, I find every single deodorant I try smells like either laundry detergent or some kind of phony green apple/watermelon/fruit candy, no matter what “manly” name is on the front of the package. Old spice, axe, degree, right guard, the list goes on... and I don’t know what the hell they did to Cool Wave but it’s miles from what the original scent was.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a supermarket/pharmacy deodorant that doesn’t smell like gain laundry detergent or fruit candy? I’m a plumber/pipefitter by trade and I tend to sweat like a pig so performance is critical too.

I use clubman/special reserve/bay rum aftershave and maybe one spritz of green Polo or Drakkar if I’m dressing up or going somewhere special. I like deep, dry, spicy scents like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Member 113878

What about an unscented one?

That said, the most effective anti-perspirant I’ve used was Mitchum, but I don’t use anti-perspirant since a long time.

I’m having a problem. I had a relative that worked for a distributor and have used an old stock of Gillette cool wave for as far back as I can remember. It’s depleted now and when I went to the deodorant aisle for the first time in years, I noticed something.

I don’t know if it’s just me/my nose, I find every single deodorant I try smells like either laundry detergent or some kind of phony green apple/watermelon/fruit candy, no matter what “manly” name is on the front of the package. Old spice, axe, degree, right guard, the list goes on... and I don’t know what the hell they did to Cool Wave but it’s miles from what the original scent was.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a supermarket/pharmacy deodorant that doesn’t smell like gain laundry detergent or fruit candy? I’m a plumber/pipefitter by trade and I tend to sweat like a pig so performance is critical too.

I use clubman/special reserve/bay rum aftershave and maybe one spritz of green Polo or Drakkar if I’m dressing up or going somewhere special. I like deep, dry, spicy scents like that.
I use unscented deodorant actually I use a diy magnesium oxide one. Then I use cologne for the scent.

As baking soda or starch power might be as good as anything.

I prevoiously used Mennen Speed Stick antiperspirant, but after getting numerous skin tags, I decided it might be best to stop. The active ingredient is Aluminum Zirconium Tetrachlorohydrex Glycine. There is no direct evidence of its being harmful, but there are some suspicions about negative side effects.

Tried helping my 12 year old pick out a deodorant this weekend. You’re right. The scent on most everything out there sucks. I’ve been using Old Spice High Endurance Original scent stick for years. Good luck finding it in a store, for whatever reason, but it’s available on Amazon. Buying it in a 6 pack, it works out to around $3 each.

I was in the same boat with you until I found this. I love this stuff. It doesn't smell fake at all and doesn't make my pits itch like all the other crap out there loaded with chemicals. Very fresh Pine-ish Lavender scent that fits with every single shaving soap and cologne I own, almost everything has lavender in it!

Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 8.58.16 PM.png

Another vote for Mitchum Unscented. IMO, excellent stuff. You have to work your pooper off in high temperatures for several hours to make it fail. I personally have yet to find something better.
I was in the same boat with you until I found this. I love this stuff. It doesn't smell fake at all and doesn't make my pits itch like all the other crap out there loaded with chemicals. Very fresh Pine-ish Lavender scent that fits with every single shaving soap and cologne I own, almost everything has lavender in it!

View attachment 1072318
This stuff smells like Cool Water and Aspen. What I use when I wear those two colognes. Goes easy on the pits, too. Alot of nonsense sold in the deodorant/anti-perspirant aisle at your favorite retailer these days. Gladly, this one is a keeper.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Tried helping my 12 year old pick out a deodorant this weekend. You’re right. The scent on most everything out there sucks. I’ve been using Old Spice High Endurance Original scent stick for years. Good luck finding it in a store, for whatever reason, but it’s available on Amazon. Buying it in a 6 pack, it works out to around $3 each.
This smells like the original OS? I'll have to look for it on Amazon, as you are correct, it's tough to find here, though they have LITERALLY 10,000 other scents now! Lol.

FarmerTan

View attachment 1072318
This IS good stuff, for me.

Of course, I've never met @BudgetShaverGuy to smell his pits!....

In my working years, fake deodorant scents gave me a headache. Sometime after retiring, I started using a wet (shaving) alum block for those days I need a deodorant. I works quite well for my occasional use, but you do have to let your pits dry before putting on clothes. No scent, so it worth a try.

I must be lucky. I have no delectable body odor. I've had wild game/animals walk up to within 5 feet without noticing or smelling me. I wouldn't let any wild animal get too close as they tend to freak out once they realize they are close to a human. Fox, racoons, porcupine, elk, and deer. I've let deer walk within 10 feet before taking them.

I have never used deodorants or antiperspirants.

I see no reason you could not apply EDC under arms as long as the alcohol doesn't irritate.

FarmerTan

I must be lucky. I have no delectable body odor. I've had wild game/animals walk up to within 5 feet without noticing or smelling me. I wouldn't let any wild animal get too close as they tend to freak out once they realize they are close to a human. Fox, racoons, porcupine, elk, and deer. I've let deer walk within 10 feet before taking them.

I have never used deodorants or antiperspirants.

I see no reason you could not apply EDC under arms as long as the alcohol doesn't irritate.
Yep, you are lucky. I'll never forget my biology teacher in nursing skool teaching about bacteria that are unique to human pit and the area down south of the belt. The stuff that stinks is that bacteria being/doing what bacteria does.

You are one of the lucky ones. I have a cousin so blessed. That gene must've skipped me! At least I got the handsome gene! (I WISH!)

This smells like the original OS? I'll have to look for it on Amazon, as you are correct, it's tough to find here, though they have LITERALLY 10,000 other scents now! Lol.

The High Endurance has a different scent than what the original OS stick had. However, I do like it and the High Endurance lasts much longer than the original green stick. The Classic Original is still available. I picked it when I forgot to pack deodorant on a work trip last summer. Still had the same scent as I remember it.

Top Bottom