What's new

Every deodorant smells disgusting to me, any help?

I’m having a problem. I had a relative that worked for a distributor and have used an old stock of Gillette cool wave for as far back as I can remember. It’s depleted now and when I went to the deodorant aisle for the first time in years, I noticed something.

I don’t know if it’s just me/my nose, I find every single deodorant I try smells like either laundry detergent or some kind of phony green apple/watermelon/fruit candy, no matter what “manly” name is on the front of the package. Old spice, axe, degree, right guard, the list goes on... and I don’t know what the hell they did to Cool Wave but it’s miles from what the original scent was.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a supermarket/pharmacy deodorant that doesn’t smell like gain laundry detergent or fruit candy? I’m a plumber/pipefitter by trade and I tend to sweat like a pig so performance is critical too.

I use clubman/special reserve/bay rum aftershave and maybe one spritz of green Polo or Drakkar if I’m dressing up or going somewhere special. I like deep, dry, spicy scents like that.

I don’t like the scented deodorant and I hate the sticky liquid ones, so I use Sure Unscented. But it’s hard to find also.

Another vote for Mitchum unscented. One good thing about it is that you can use it every other day and it is still effective.

I use an alum rock it last for years ( until you drop it). I rub some on before we go camping and four days later, still no smell.

I feel ya bro I typically stick with an unscented myself. There's always DIY deodorant ? I haven't done it personally but I know people who have. I didn't have much success personally with alum.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Old Spice Classic Scent stick. My local ShopRite stocks it, but I could get it a bit cheaper by buying a six pack from Amazon.

To me, it smells like...Old Spice.

Now...if you're willing to spend some money, Ogallala has their Bay Rum and Bay Rum with different scents in a deodorant stick. I used them for quite a while and liked them very much...but...expensive compared to the Old Spice.

I sweat heavily and am in the process of trying more natural products. Here’s what is working for me. Note that none of these stop the sweat but do help with the stink.
1. Shaved my pits. This alone helped immeasurably.
2. Tried an alum block. Only works if I reapply multiple times a day.
3. Tried a paste called Routine; it is made in Calgary and available at Choices in the Lower Mainland. Choices will give you a sample that lasts about a week. I like the Johnny’s Cash scent.
4. Don’s, made on Saltspring Island is similar to Routine. The scents are less complex, but it is $10 cheaper and the lemon scent is nice.

I switch between Jack Black Pit Boss (pricey but its a solid stick that lasts for ages) and Clinique for men anti-antiperspirant roll on. The JB has quite a fresh scent, so maybe not what you are after but works well at stopping sweating without staining clothes. The Clinique has no scent so I wear it when I am wearing cologne and again works well at stopping sweating without staining clothes.

I use this:

The yellow can. It's smells like baby powder but not straight up baby powder... More like a refined slightly peppery but light powdery scent. My wife has used it in a pinch because it's scent is light and neutral and it's also great to give a quick shot in a pair of sneakers.

One can is about $3 and lasts me almost 3 months of daily use.

Another vote for the Mitchum unscented. It's the best balance of unscented and actually keeps me dry - I have hyperhidrosis and don't like the medication that makes my pits burn like someone is stabbing me with flaming needles and Mitchum works for me. I'll occasionally try something else but always end up going back to Mitchum.

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’m having a problem. I had a relative that worked for a distributor and have used an old stock of Gillette cool wave for as far back as I can remember. It’s depleted now and when I went to the deodorant aisle for the first time in years, I noticed something.

I don’t know if it’s just me/my nose, I find every single deodorant I try smells like either laundry detergent or some kind of phony green apple/watermelon/fruit candy, no matter what “manly” name is on the front of the package. Old spice, axe, degree, right guard, the list goes on... and I don’t know what the hell they did to Cool Wave but it’s miles from what the original scent was.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a supermarket/pharmacy deodorant that doesn’t smell like gain laundry detergent or fruit candy? I’m a plumber/pipefitter by trade and I tend to sweat like a pig so performance is critical too.

I use clubman/special reserve/bay rum aftershave and maybe one spritz of green Polo or Drakkar if I’m dressing up or going somewhere special. I like deep, dry, spicy scents like that.
Just use an alum block for antiperspirant and splash a bit of your favorite aftershave for scent if you like.

For deodorants with scent, I enjoy Speed Stick Regular and the Musk variety. Also Old Spice High Endurance Classic Scent and Clubman Spray deodorant. All these do a decent job with mild fragrances. I always keep a backup of each of these.

I think there are two ways to deal with it. If you really want to use a deodorant (why in 2020?), use Tabac Original deostick or a higher end stick (most EdTs come with a matching deostick). The other is (what I would prefer) to use an antiperspirant roll-on (scented or unscented) instead of a deodorant plus an EdT. The scent of the roll-on, if it has any, is gone quickly, and you can choose to smell really great instead of just ok or nice.

Top Bottom