What's new

Every Day Carry (EDC) bag

Well I carry alot of stuff everyday for work and was wondering what every one has found to be a good EDC bag. Currently I have a Samsonite bag that is falling apart so I think I want to upgrade. The hope is to be able to carry a letter size portfolio, a small bag with tools for working on electronics (wire cutters, screw drivers etc for computers), headphones, power pack and possibly a laptop. I have been thinking of going to a backpack and have eyed the Mission Workshop ARKIV bag but I was wondering if there could be a cheaper alternative that gets the job done.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I think I want to upgrade.

wondering if there could be a cheaper alternative

Well, are you interested in the expensive upgrade, or just a cheap get-the-job-done-er?

Red Oxx, Filson, Saddleback, Frost River, and others offer differently-excellent options for the former. For the latter? There's lots of cheap, generic stuff out there on Amazon &c (not anything wrong with that, if that's what you want.)

I’m also a fan of Timbuk2 bags. Have had several styles, including backpacks, messenger bags, etc. Recommended.

Expensive but my Hartmann ballistic nylon has been bulletproof. If you want a backpack I can testify that Ogio is outstanding. My boys are brutal on backpacks and have went through Under Armour, nike and adidas like they were made of paper. Last year I bought them each an Ogio and they are still like new. My senior even drug his down the drive way by accident and a few scuffs but no rips.

I have a bag I got at Eddie Bauer in the early 2000's that I still use and it is still in pretty decent shape. I have had to replace the shoulder strap, but other than that outside of a one or two broken zippers it is as good as new. I have not seen this particular model in a Eddie Bauer store in years however. It wasn't designed as a laptop bag, but could be used as one (and I have done so on occasion). I normally keep files, my Classic size Franklin planner among other things in it

Well I carry alot of stuff everyday for work and was wondering what every one has found to be a good EDC bag. Currently I have a Samsonite bag that is falling apart so I think I want to upgrade. The hope is to be able to carry a letter size portfolio, a small bag with tools for working on electronics (wire cutters, screw drivers etc for computers), headphones, power pack and possibly a laptop. I have been thinking of going to a backpack and have eyed the Mission Workshop ARKIV bag but I was wondering if there could be a cheaper alternative that gets the job done.

What do you mean by carry? So many different variations...

From the house to the car and from the parking lot to the office?
From the house to the car, from the parking lot to the train, from the train to the office?
From the house to the bike, bike to the work building, from the bike rack to the office?
From the house to the bike, bike to a bus/train stop, from the bus/train to the bike to the work building...?
From the house to the office on foot over a couple of miles?
Need to fly with it ever?

You get the idea...

one of the big functional requirement is how water resistant/proof the bag needs to be. I tend to use my bags for multiple purposes... (all of the above maybe) so I started with the toughest requirements and work from there.... which got me to a Timbuk2 Command. Not the best looking bag but gets the job done for me.

If you want a backpack, the Goruck GR1 is a great choice. US made, ultra tough, but a mostly "non-tactical" look. The laptop compartment is well padded, the main compartment has a slot perfect for a portfolio, and the front panel fully unzips to lay flat with 2 mesh pockets that are good for your tools. The front slash pocket can hold flat stuff as well. With the MOLLE you can add pockets for water bottles or whatever. I wish they still sold the MOLLE-free shadow packs but I guess their sales clearly indicate MOLLE is preferred. Anyway, the GR1 will set you back $300 or so but then, so will most any other US made bag. If you don't need max protection for a laptop, their cheaper/smaller lines (the Rucker or the 10L Bullet ruck) might work well and save you $200 or so.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Rush 24 backpack. I hate the word "tactical" as IMO it's thrown around too much for marketing, but I really like it.

I've had it for a few years and its been all over North America, Central America and Europe. Holds what I need and durable.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 9.32.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 9.32.40 PM.png
    977.1 KB · Views: 12
Rush 24 backpack. I hate the word "tactical" as IMO it's thrown around too much for marketing, but I really like it.
Excellent bag, its what I keep in my truck as my get out of/back to Dodge pack. However, not sure I'd use it as an EDC since I do follow the logic that anything that looks "tactical" makes you a target. Something a bit more subdued and look like a greyman

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Excellent bag, its what I keep in my truck as my get out of/back to Dodge pack. However, not sure I'd use it as an EDC since I do follow the logic that anything that looks "tactical" makes you a target. Something a bit more subdued and look like a greyman

Agree with the 'better to be low key' thought, but I like the bag so damn much it doesn't bother me too much.

Any pack by Osprey will most likely out live you. I’ve had a travel bag for 17 years, a day pack for just as long and I only switched to a messenger bag from them because it was free. a coworker was given 2. he gave me one.

In general I prefer a backpack styled bag, then a messenger, satchel/briefcase styled bag. I prefer two carry/shoulder straps to a single, or cross chest type system. they ride better and with less fatigue with heavier weight. lightweight high performance is more important to me than heavy, uncomfortable style, so I'll likely never own a Saddleback, as pretty as they are. I also don't want to flash too much visible wealth and avoid anything remotely looking tacticool these days, because I don't want to look like a poser or a target (my opinion). I don't need to look corporately acceptable, so casual mountain/beach/traveler pack works for me.

my go to bag for the last 3 years is a Mountain Hardware Agama. maybe 25L? doesn't show a bit of wear, and I've beat it up, with as much as 50lbs in it, stuffed to the gills. I've also done week long trips with it as my only bag. it's not waterproof, but I have lightweight, very packable dry bags that I stuff/organize in it. it also works amazingly well as a nondescript range bag (for pistols, not a long gun broken down).

I use it to intentionally under-represent what I'm carrying and capable of, and often dress to match it, so it works for me. business casual or dressier, I'll run my RedOxx Air Boss to travel with. or both if I need more volume while traveling.

Tom Bihn Black Ballistic Co- Pilot, since 2009, carry this and leave home my Tumi Alpha Ballistic Expandable briefcase and my Schlessinger Belting leather briefcase. The Co-Pilot is one of the finest pieces of EDC luggage I've ever used.

Top Bottom