What's new

Everready 1914 razor VS Everready 1924 razor

What is your favorite of the two Everready razors!

• 1914 Everready razor- aka(LLC or Little lather catcher)

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • 1924 Everready razor- aka (Shovel head)

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Or just like using both razors because they are great razors & not partial!

Votes: 13 32.5%

• Total voters
I love the 1914 and get great shaves from it. I’ve used the 1924 several times as a loaner. I liked it, but never did buy one for myself. Maybe one day...

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I love the 1914 and get great shaves from it. I’ve used the 1924 several times as a loaner. I liked it, but never did buy one for myself. Maybe one day...
I have to agree about the 1914 LLC is very nice razor to use. The 1924 is Ok also, it will shave very close if you desire that.
The more you use a razor the easier to figure weight and angle. I have been using Gem razors for a long period I'm finding I have to adjust a little to the steep angle approach with the 1924- it seemed I could find the sweet spot most of the time with the 1914 quickly and it's a little more forgiving.

Ron R

Everready 1924 aka (Shovel head)razor MFG 1924-33
Ever Ready 1924 Shovelhead mfg 1924-33 (2).jpg

Weight: 2.5 oz (71 grams) with the streamline handle
Blade Gap: .016 thousands of a inch (.406 mm)
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE
Blade exposure: Positive
Material: Head is brass and nickel alloy coated, Handel brass + nickel alloy coated
Handling: Easy to hold in the hand but needs a little more steeper approach than compared to most Gem razors.
Use only razor weight or slightly more or it will let you know .

Shave #2 went reasonable well with a lot of confidence with the ER 1924 model, I put the razor into the ER slide maneuvers, “J” hooking maneuvers and buffing also with no problems along with using a good soap(Haslinger Schamilch) Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + Alum block indicating some irritation & no weepers=:001_rolle

Shave #3 indicates slightly more aggressive or not as smooth as the ER 1914 IMO. Shave was reasonable all said and still dialing in the razor.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum block indicated some irritation around the jaw line, over shaving more than likely=:001_unsur

Shave #4 Shave was great because I have the ER 1924 dialed in with no issues.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum block indicating no irritation =:001_rolle

Shave # 5 was a good one and I concluded that I was applying a little to much pressure on 1st couple of shaves because the Razor with my dialed in hand technique are giving desired results.
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + Alum block indicating no issues =:001_rolle

Shave #6 was excellent with no weeper or nicks, All my passes are 1st WTG + 2nd ATG followed with a clean up pass under the jawline usually. With the right hand technique the razor performs well when dialed in to give my type of shave CCS,DFS,BbS + alum block indicating nothing.=:001_rolle

Shave #7 Another great shave that was in my desired range. Arko stick soap gave good protection and the razor did the rest with myself behind the controls.
Results CCS,DFS,BBS +Alum block indicating no issues =:001_rolle

Conclusion: The Everready 1924 razor is a decent razor for giving excellent results and with nice audio feed back while shaving that some of us enjoy.

It can be challenging at first until you dial it in, folks are always opinionated on the first shave results and with this razor it took about 3 shaves to dial it in to my desired results. The side taps on the base plate for holding down blades from previous generations of blades with out the notch on the side of the modern GEM blades, I bent them slightly forward towards the blade keepers just so the blade seats better IMO with no issues.

You can expect results in the CCS,DFS,BBS range for a medium growth type of beard as my beard is. Buffing and “J” hooking maneuvers with ER slide maneuvers can be handled with ease.

The razor can be used as a daily driver for those who like to shave daily and that is also important razor characteristic with good audio feedback while shaving.

I found the the ER 1924 shovel head razor gave a pleasant shave most of the time with reasonable hand technique and I’m glad to add it to my ever growing collection of razors.(ER 1924 razors can be purchased at a discount price compared to others.)
The razor is a mid range razor with good efficiency.
Everready 1914 VS Everady 1924 Samsung1 (2).jpg

Some helpful information for those who have a Everready razor who never received manuals and other information.
E-R1924Instructions and Case (4).JPG Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg Blade review Revision #5 Dec14-2018.jpg blade_angle-se-de.gif GEM blade grind angles.jpg Gem blade grind.
Have some great shaves!

Ron R

Great Time line + Great History of these razors @mata_66 compiled that Millions of us users have enjoyed over the last 100+ years.
american-safety-razor-dating-chart-gem-ever-ready-kampfe-star-png.983799

Have some great shaves!

Everready 1924 aka (Shovel head)razor MFG 1924-33
View attachment 1014607

Weight: 2.5 oz (71 grams) with the streamline handle
Blade Gap: .016 thousands of a inch (.406 mm)
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE
Blade exposure: Positive
Material: Head is brass and nickel alloy coated, Handel brass + nickel alloy coated
Handling: Easy to hold in the hand but needs a little more steeper approach than compared to most Gem razors.
Use only razor weight or slightly more or it will let you know .

Shave #2 went reasonable well with a lot of confidence with the ER 1924 model, I put the razor into the ER slide maneuvers, “J” hooking maneuvers and buffing also with no problems along with using a good soap(Haslinger Schamilch) Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + Alum block indicating some irritation & no weepers=:001_rolle

Shave #3 indicates slightly more aggressive or not as smooth as the ER 1914 IMO. Shave was reasonable all said and still dialing in the razor.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum block indicated some irritation around the jaw line, over shaving more than likely=:001_unsur

Shave #4 Shave was great because I have the ER 1924 dialed in with no issues.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + Alum block indicating no irritation =:001_rolle

Shave # 5 was a good one and I concluded that I was applying a little to much pressure on 1st couple of shaves because the Razor with my dialed in hand technique are giving desired results.
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS + Alum block indicating no issues =:001_rolle

Shave #6 was excellent with no weeper or nicks, All my passes are 1st WTG + 2nd ATG followed with a clean up pass under the jawline usually. With the right hand technique the razor performs well when dialed in to give my type of shave CCS,DFS,BbS + alum block indicating nothing.=:001_rolle

Shave #7 Another great shave that was in my desired range. Arko stick soap gave good protection and the razor did the rest with myself behind the controls.
Results CCS,DFS,BBS +Alum block indicating no issues =:001_rolle

Conclusion: The Everready 1924 razor is a decent razor for giving excellent results and with nice audio feed back while shaving that some of us enjoy.

It can be challenging at first until you dial it in, folks are always opinionated on the first shave results and with this razor it took about 3 shaves to dial it in to my desired results. The side taps on the base plate for holding down blades from previous generations of blades with out the notch on the side of the modern GEM blades, I bent them slightly forward towards the blade keepers just so the blade seats better IMO with no issues.

You can expect results in the CCS,DFS,BBS range for a medium growth type of beard as my beard is. Buffing and “J” hooking maneuvers with ER slide maneuvers can be handled with ease.

The razor can be used as a daily driver for those who like to shave daily and that is also important razor characteristic with good audio feedback while shaving.

I found the the ER 1924 shovel head razor gave a pleasant shave most of the time with reasonable hand technique and I’m glad to add it to my ever growing collection of razors.(ER 1924 razors can be purchased at a discount price compared to others.)
The razor is a mid range razor with good efficiency.
View attachment 1014606

Some helpful information for those who have a Everready razor who never received manuals and other information.
View attachment 1014609 View attachment 1014610 View attachment 1014611 View attachment 1014613 View attachment 1014614 View attachment 1014612 Gem blade grind.
Have some great shaves!
Nice write up Ron, I too find the 1924 to be more aggressive than the 1914 but it still gives a fine comfortable shave.

Ron R

Nice write up Ron, I too find the 1924 to be more aggressive than the 1914 but it still gives a fine comfortable shave.
Thanks, it was a interesting test of the two razors and I enjoyed it, I had to have my daily shaves anyways and it is one of the few tasks I really enjoy in my later years.

I’m late to this party, but I only found a wild 1914 recently. Both the 1914 and 1924 appeal to me, with their short handles and efficient blade-forward shaves.

I am giving my vote to the 1924, though. A bit more efficient, lower profile head for good edging, and easier to load.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I may pick up a Shovel Head this spring; we'll see. I have one LLC and it's a goodie. With a more modern handle, I really like it.

O.H.

I have a 1924 which came in a lot of razors that I bid on. It has some brassing but is in good working order. I am just waiting for the urge to come upon me to try it, knowing that it will likely trigger a buying spree.

Ron R

I have a 1924 which came in a lot of razors that I bid on. It has some brassing but is in good working order. I am just waiting for the urge to come upon me to try it, knowing that it will likely trigger a buying spree.
One thing that I always think when I see brassing is the previous owner or owners enjoyed the razor a lot or finances were a little slim and possibly the only razor in the house.
I have a Gillette old type I got from a razor lot on _bay and the most of the top cap had hardly any Nickel left -yet underneath the base plate had excellent nickel coating & the handle was totally worn out with paper wedged in to help keep the head and handle sort of intact for the owner to try and shave with it. (he would of had to squeeze pinch the handle and some how stroke the razor at the same time to complete the task.)
That razor will never get a new Nickel coating as long as I own it because it reminds me to be thankful I have so much I take for granted . I did replace the handle but keep the taters of the handle as a mental reminder in my blade storage cabinet also. I do use the razor once in a while with a fat handle tech and it shaves okay still.
Have some great shaves!

Ron R

SE SOTD, Tue, Feb 9th 2021

Razor: Everready 1914 (LLCatcher)-Mfg 1914-17,1st gen blade stops, mid range, excellent razor for its time era & present, great audio feedback.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (8) excellent blade, very sharp, smooths out nicely, excellent longevity & predictable.
Soap: Ogallala Bayrum & Sandalwood - excellent soap, great milder scent with some clove, excellent lather qualities, good post feel.
Brush: Yaqi timber wolf whiskers 24mm knot, cloud like soft tips, good back bone for a nice scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel + Ogallala bayrum & Sandalwood with clove + a dollop of Nivea balm. (-35C, 35 humidity indoors)
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my ER 1914 with a coated Gem SS blade.
(Lately I have been receiving perfect shaves, maybe the dryer cold weather?)

SE SOTD , Tue Feb 9th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

Very nice comparison of the two ER's. The two weak points I see in the 1914 is the way the frame is opened and closed, and the very small blade stops on the early models. I've imagined myself walking into a drug store back in those days with the intention of buying a shiny new razor and handling a 1914 and then a 1912, I believe I would've chosen the 12 because it's so much easier to open and close. I can also imagine an older man with maybe some arthritis or just being weaker struggling to open a 14. It's also likely that ASR got some customer feed back on the small blade stops so they improved them. I've actually had the blade ride up on top of the stop when I closed it.

The ads for the 1924 refer to it as the "new improved Ever-Ready", doesn't it seem obvious that ASR looked at it as a replacement for the 1914 model?

Very nice comparison of the two ER's. The two weak points I see in the 1914 is the way the frame is opened and closed, and the very small blade stops on the early models. I've imagined myself walking into a drug store back in those days with the intention of buying a shiny new razor and handling a 1914 and then a 1912, I believe I would've chosen the 12 because it's so much easier to open and close. I can also imagine an older man with maybe some arthritis or just being weaker struggling to open a 14. It's also likely that ASR got some customer feed back on the small blade stops so they improved them. I've actually had the blade ride up on top of the stop when I closed it.

The ads for the 1924 refer to it as the "new improved Ever-Ready", doesn't it seem obvious that ASR looked at it as a replacement for the 1914 model?
I agree that the 1914 is awkward to open, so I would have shied away from it and went with the 1912. However, I do love the shave from the 1914. I am just not fond of opening the cap.

Hoosier, I need to say I love your posts over the years and, thanks to you, I really love the Damaskeene line of razors. My favorite!

I agree that the 1914 is awkward to open, so I would have shied away from it and went with the 1912. However, I do love the shave from the 1914. I am just not fond of opening the cap.

Hoosier, I need to say I love your posts over the years and, thanks to you, I really love the Damaskeene line of razors. My favorite!
Well, thanks for the kind words! Yeah I’m still a diehard Damaskeene fan, every time someone rescues one from an antique store or eBay an angel gets its wings!

View attachment 1010689
As I built up my razor collection I have come across these two razors at reasonable prices, yet they are hardly mentioned on the forums it seems.
Who still uses these two razors?
I have recently purchase a ER 1914 (Little lather catcher) almost like new, I also have a ER1924 (Shovel head) almost like new so that might indicate they were well cared for or not used that much & some other razors at the time became the rave and were forgotten because that is the way guys are with cars.......
I have not used the ER 1914 and will be the first one to enjoy my shave experience of the two, the ER 1924 I have used a few times.
I will use both razors continuous of daily shaving for a week each & give my opinion at the end of a week of use of that particular razor performance and rating IMO.
I own only one razor.

The 1924 ever ready shovel head long handle.

I have tried many vintage razors. For me this was the one.

This razor gets very little love. Difficult finding 2023 opinions about this razor in forums like this.

Ron R

I own only one razor.

The 1924 ever ready shovel head long handle.

I have tried many vintage razors. For me this was the one.

This razor gets very little love. Difficult finding 2023 opinions about this razor in forums like this.
You will see some 1924 razors being used on the Thread Vintage April 2023 or Micromatic Monday, on Micromatic Monday you can use any ASR razor that holds a Gem blade 7 days a week. You can join in with us anytime you use the Ever-Ready 1924.
Have some great shaves!

Ron R

Vintage April, 2023 + SE SOTD, Saturday, April 8th 2023

Razor : Ever- Ready 1924 (AKA- Shovel head)- Mfg 1924- 33, mid range, Interesting design that makes a person install the blade from the rear, I used a RIGS shim to smooth out the shave a little, blade splines where thicker in this time era. The shim is placed under the modern blade spline to give it the tilt it was designed for IMO. Very enjoyable close shave this morning with no issues at all. This razor was designed to last with a little care and works excellent.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE(4) very sharp, excellent longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable + safest blade to handle.
Soap : La Toja stick, mild scent, with excellent lather qualities.
Brush : Yaqi "Artic sky" 24mm Silver tip(3 band) badger, excellent lather generator, heavenly luxury pillow like soft tips, very nice gentle scrubber + excellent lather painter.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave : Fine fresh Vetiver with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results : 1-10 dial - Copy (2)2 template 10.jpg or CS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + no weepers=
[IMG]
Excellent shave with my Ever- Ready 1924 SE with a Gem coated blade.
(Archived photo below shows the Ever-Ready 1924 with a spent aluminum spline(RIGS, shim) underneath a modern blade).
SOTD Rigs Shim in a ER 1924 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Attachments

• SOTD Rigs Shim in a ER 1924.jpg
    SOTD Rigs Shim in a ER 1924.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Top Bottom