What's new

Eveready 1914 - a Lather Gatherer?

Hello, I am thinking about looking for a decent example of a "lather gatherer" razor for my collection. I don't remember what brands are considered true lather gatherers from the early 20th century. I do have an Eveready 1914 that I sometimes shave with, but I was told once in a forum post that the Eveready 1914 was not a "true" lather gatherer razor. If this is true, what would be a good example of one? And do they pop up in the for sale forum?
Thank you,
Cliff
2D1A16E3-75AD-40FC-B3B0-09826EA0DC9C.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hello, I am thinking about looking for a decent example of a "lather gatherer" razor for my collection. I don't remember what brands are considered true lather gatherers from the early 20th century. I do have an Eveready 1914 that I sometimes shave with, but I was told once in a forum post that the Eveready 1914 was not a "true" lather gatherer razor. If this is true, what would be a good example of one? And do they pop up in the for sale forum?
Thank you,
CliffView attachment 1447176
Some folks call the Everready1914 a little lather catcher(AKA LLC) and when you look back at old razors Everready was just stepping out of their Lather catcher model line. The 1914 is a nice mid range with great audio feedback IMO.
This is what most folks call a lather catcher, these two Lather catchers are tame mid range with excellent shave results and they have excellent audio feedback like your 1914 everready.
Star bar #4 model1919-20 L.C........ Gem Junior bar 1907-11 lather catcher....................................................
Star lather catcher Model #4 MFG 1919-20(2).jpg
Gem Junior bar lather catcher Mfg 1907-11.jpg
Star bar LC VS GEM Junior bar (5).jpg

Here is a thread devoted to lather catchers on B&B and lots of folks contribute photo's and knowledge to it over the last 2 years.
Have some great shaves!

Thanks Ron, I really appreciate the photos and links. I'll try and keep my eyes open for these two models in the for sale forum. I agree with you on the 1914's feedback. I only have two SE razors, this and a GEM Micromatic. I prefer the 1914 over the Micromatic for feedback. Anyway, thanks again.
Cliff

Last edited:
And so will the two lather catchers in his photos. Most people consider the lack of a top cap to be a key feature of lather catchers.
20201106_155651.jpg

Ron R

Ron, I forgot to ask, will both of these razors take modern SE blades?
Yes those 2 lather catchers take the new Gem Personna S PTFE SE blade. Actually breaking in a new blade with a lather catcher is ideal because you get such a nice shave I have concluded over the years.

Ron R

I believe @Whiterook has blade adapters to mock a wedge blade that a lot of older lather catchers started with for some of his older lather catchers that can be purchased on Etsy. Star brand(Kamphe brothers from Brooklyn NY) made the first safety razor mass produced in the USA & world are still being used to this day. Before the safety razor designed by Star every one used straight razors and the wedge blade looks like a straight razor but a short version.

Top Bottom