What's new

Ever Switch Razors Mid-Shave?

Well, I used the Feathers for three shaves in a row in my Merkur HD... Definately "less forgiving" in terms of minor nicks that heal within seconds of the cold-water-rinse, but certainly closer for the intial N-S pass to clear things up. It's when I get to the closer passes that things get, well, bloody. Not bad enough to stop, of course, but still worse than the Merkurs... (Although when I first started with the HD with Merkur blades it was similar in terms of bloodiness, so maybe I just need more time with the Feathers?)

I'm thinking of trying two separate razors- keep my Merkur HD loaded with the Feather blades for the inital N-S and E-W passes, and then go to my Futur with a Merkur blade for the final S-N and touch-ups...

Anybody else ever switch up their razors mid-shave for different purposes?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I've never switched DE's midshave, but I'm considering it. Occasionally, I will use a DE or an injector prior to using a straight. I know it seems a bit odd, but I used that technique to help master the straight- I find I have much more control with the straight on a second pass. I normally shave with just a straight about once a week for a treat, and this system definately helped with the learning curve.
If I were to switch DE's midshave, I would do it primarily to switch blades, as NYLaw suggested. Those Feathers give an outrageous first pass, but I do prefer something a bit gentler for the touchup stages. Blade buffing with a Feather has, so far, yielded results that leave much to be desired.:tongue_sm

Nope, I've never switched a razor mid shave except for when I was learning to use a straight razor and I needed the DE to get a clean up pass. NYlaw, your face should adjust to the Feathers over time. Be sure to use even less pressure with the Feathers when you go against the grain. Once I was able to master the S-N pass with a Feather, I was able to get bbs shaves with no discomfort or irritation. Alternatively, get an adjustable razor and dial down for your against the grain pass.

I don't switch DE's when shaving, but when I use my Feather RG or a straight and miss some spots, I'll usually have a DE on hand to finish the job. But I've at times not needed to use a DE with the str8's.

Ben,
You seem to have caught the public's attention with this one. After thinking for a millisecond or more the answer is a resounding no. I switch hands, have switched blades a few times, and have thought about switching razors to get under the nose but never did it.

I actually switched razors in mid shave this morning. I was actually too lazy to just switched the blade when there was another razor sitting on the counter with a blade that had only been used once.:blushing:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Is it true that Leonardo DaVinci (who was named after one of QED's hydrosols) used to shave with two razors at once? I recall reading that he used to do a N-S pass with his right hand, while simultaneously doing a S-N pass with his left.:001_rolle

ouch said:
Is it true that Leonardo DaVinci (who was named after one of QED's hydrosols) used to shave with two razors at once? I recall reading that he used to do a N-S pass with his right hand, while simultaneously doing a S-N pass with his left.:001_rolle

I think it was van Gogh!:biggrin:

Top Bottom