What's new

Ever seen a hole in a Super 109 handle like this?

I usually shave with Gillette Slims, but I recently bought a Gillette Super 109 (date stamp O2) on an auction site. In the auction photos, it looked like it was in awful shape, but that was fine with me because as long as it worked I planned to send it in for a Razor Revamp. When it arrived, I cleaned it up and the soap scum came off in seconds, and it was in surprisingly good shape underneath, so I thought I had gotten a really good deal. I discovered one weird issue though -- there is a tiny hole in the handle, about a quarter inch down from the adjustment ring.

The hole is smaller than the tip of a pin, but there are chipped patches where unpainted metal is exposed on either side of it. It's in between ridges, which seems like an unlikely place for an impact to knock a piece off.

I'm wondering if this is an issue with the Super Adjustables. Do you think it's a manufacturing defect, or is it damage that occurred afterwards? And if you know anything about Razor Emporium's Razor Revamp service, is the paint they use likely to adhere to the unpainted, chipped bits, or would it maybe even cover the hole?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 109 IMG_5083.jpg
    109 IMG_5083.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
  • 109 IMG_5069.jpg
    109 IMG_5069.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 84
  • 109 IMG_5079.jpg
    109 IMG_5079.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 86

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Kinda funny how old caked on soap scum will protect -- for decades -- the razor head parts so well, isn't it?

As far as that tiny blemish, if you take a black Sharpie and color the bare spot you'll hardly notice it. Been there, done that.

I wouldn't send it to Razor Emporium.

Kinda funny how old caked on soap scum will protect -- for decades -- the razor head parts so well, isn't it?

As far as that tiny blemish, if you take a black Sharpie and color the bare spot you'll hardly notice it. Been there, done that.

Ah yes, the Sharpie Solution. I have "repaired" a lot of furniture that way.

Probably a unit that got through qc. A tiny bubble perhaps, or foreign material now gone, leaving a hole.

re. the sharpie suggestion: for max longevity use the oil based version. Perfect for restoring adjustment ring numbers too. Dab into the number, don't worry about being too exact just fill it up, let it dry, wipe off the excess with a paper towel sprayed lightly with WD40. Don't press, keep the paper towel flat. Voila! Perfect numbers and no mess.

Last edited:
I have a similar spot on my BB 109. I thought it was stubborn soap scum. After probing it with a needle I couldn't tell what it was and just ignored it.

I usually shave with Gillette Slims, but I recently bought a Gillette Super 109 (date stamp O2) on an auction site. In the auction photos, it looked like it was in awful shape, but that was fine with me because as long as it worked I planned to send it in for a Razor Revamp. When it arrived, I cleaned it up and the soap scum came off in seconds, and it was in surprisingly good shape underneath, so I thought I had gotten a really good deal. I discovered one weird issue though -- there is a tiny hole in the handle, about a quarter inch down from the adjustment ring.

The hole is smaller than the tip of a pin, but there are chipped patches where unpainted metal is exposed on either side of it. It's in between ridges, which seems like an unlikely place for an impact to knock a piece off.

I'm wondering if this is an issue with the Super Adjustables. Do you think it's a manufacturing defect, or is it damage that occurred afterwards? And if you know anything about Razor Emporium's Razor Revamp service, is the paint they use likely to adhere to the unpainted, chipped bits, or would it maybe even cover the hole?

Thanks!
None of my SA 109s have any holes in their black handles but what I do want to suggest is that you specifically reach out to Razor Emporium with your questions (and pictures) and get some information from the source as to whether their "repair" service can address this issue.

@pmberger PLEASE heed this advice.
Too many bad stories, from reputable sources, floating around about the Emporium.
Back Roads Gold would be my choice.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nobody really works on Super Adjustables any longer, they tend to corrode from the inside out and the guts are messy. That's why I suggested the Sharpie just to cover the handle blemish and live with it.

From BRG: EXCLUSIONS – I do not plate TOGGLES, Bottom Dials, Red Dot Fatboys, Black Handle Gillettes, Super Adjustables, Gem Micromatics, Chrome, Zamak, Zinc, Pot Metal Razors, Blue Tips, Plastic, Starburst, Titanium, Bronze or Aluminum handle razors.

It keeps the aliens from reading your thoughts.

In all seriousness, looks like some mod from the prior owner. No such hole on mine.

Probably a unit that got through qc. A tiny bubble perhaps, or foreign material now gone, leaving a hole.

re. the sharpie suggestion: for max longevity use the oil based version. Perfect for restoring adjustment ring numbers too. Dab into the number, don't worry about being too exact just fill it up, let it dry, wipe off the excess with a paper towel sprayed lightly with WD40. Don't press, keep the paper towel flat. Voila! Perfect numbers and no mess.
The razor re-platers use testers paint, which may be a bit more durable than sharpie, IDK? I made the mistake of permanently darkening the finish of a Gillette slim by using Hopes 9 on it- works great to rub off the excess for infilling lettering on a firearm, but as my luck would have it, it is extremey detrimental to the brass UNDER the nickel, which seems weird, but it did darken it. So- a cautionary word to prevent others from duplicating my mistake- no Hoppes gun cleaning solvent or other harsh chemicals for clean up when infilling numbers on a nickel plated razor. Rubbing alcohol on a cotton pad or soft cloth as you suggested works just fine for me too. Those super adjustable aluminum handles seem to chip fairly easily and leave a spot of gray where the coating gets nicked off. I have also used a sharpie on the black handle and the blemish pretty much disappears till the ink wears off. It’s so small it doesn’t bother me, but I may try a dot of testors on the handle In the future. Thats the only small issues I have with my Supper Adjustable 84- it feels just a little head heavy as opposed to a slim due to the aluminum handle, and the aluminum handle seems to be much more fragile. The flip side- the very slightly longer handle than the slim is absolutely perfect for my hands, and it seems to be slightly more aggressive than than my slims.

@pmberger PLEASE heed this advice.
Too many bad stories, from reputable sources, floating around about the Emporium.
The vast majority of those stories are from a decade ago, and were the primary reason Matt and his business partner parted ways, and was one of the reasons Matt stopped using an outside source for re-plating, and moved the process in house.

That's like continuing to hold PAA's past underhanded dealings against them from when they were How To Grow A Mustache and Petal Pusher Fancies. Most of us have forgiven them, and moved on.

Back Roads Gold is cheaper, though. That's reason enough to choose them for your re-plating needs.

The vast majority of those stories are from a decade ago, and were the primary reason Matt and his business partner parted ways, and was one of the reasons Matt stopped using an outside source for re-plating, and moved the process in house.

That's like continuing to hold PAA's past underhanded dealings against them from when they were How To Grow A Mustache and Petal Pusher Fancies. Most of us have forgiven them, and moved on.

Back Roads Gold is cheaper, though. That's reason enough to choose them for your re-plating needs.
I suppose you are correct. But with me..
First impression is last impression.
Would certainly send any of my work to BRG. :001_smile

I second the Testors solution. Superfine brush and black lacquer. If it functions fine, perhaps not worry about it.

You probably know this but the Superadjustable has two settings beyond the Slim on the high end.

Top Bottom