What's new

Ever Ready travel razor - removing blade?

I just received in the mail an Ever Ready travel razor, blade bank and case that I bought online. Looks in good shape, especially the case. See the photos below. It came with a SE blade installed. I cannot figure out how to open the head and remove the blade. It's not a TTO like the Micromatic. It doesn't appear to open on the sides like the 1912s (which say "lift here"). Since it's hinged in the front, my best guess is it opens from the rear by prying it Travel razor A.JPGTravel razor B.JPGTravel razor C.JPG, but that would require a knife blade. Seems odd for a travel razor. I'm sure it came with instructions when new, but they're long gone. Any suggestions from the B & B sages would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

It does open on the rear, the round spring portion on the back can be popped open pretty easily with a thumb, kinda of like the opposite motion of a lighter. Thumb on the back just below the head of the razor and push up against that spring.

Many thanks to the B & B sages who replied. Yes, it opened once I pushed up on the back. The blade looked period correct and I had to pry it loose with a knife. Looked like it had been in the razor for decades. When you think about it, loading a SE blade from the back of the razor makes sense. Thanks to my colleagues on B & B, I will be shaving with the travel razor tomorrow.

Just a note, the shave angle for the 1924 Shovelhead (which is what you have) is not as shallow as you would expect, not like it is on other GEM SE razors. Check around for the instructions, they've been posted to several threads here.

Oh, and "Lift Here" is exclusive to the Ever Ready 1914; the 1912s had a thumb tab on the rear spring.

Just a note, the shave angle for the 1924 Shovelhead (which is what you have) is not as shallow as you would expect, not like it is on other GEM SE razors. Check around for the instructions, they've been posted to several threads here.

Oh, and "Lift Here" is exclusive to the Ever Ready 1914; the 1912s had a thumb tab on the rear spring.
Many thanks for the advice and information. I continue to be amazed at the information B & B folks have.

Top Bottom