What's new

Ever Ready SE razors?

My darling wife keeps asking what I would like for my upcoming birthday, and I stumbled across these two beauties:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I tend to favour agressive razors, and they certainly seem to fit the bill. Which one would you suggest? Is there a reliable blade supply?

The top one is a 1912 model and the bottom is a 1924 model...both excellent shavers... and the SE blades are available easily

The top one is a 1912 model and the bottom is a 1924 model...both excellent shavers... and the SE blades are available easily

+1. I use both. I find the 1924 more aggressive, but prefer the handle, balance and overall performance of the 1912.

Go for the top one. Easier open/close with that little lever at the back.

It can be opened with one hand while you hold the blade in the other. The second razor requires two hands to open/close. A bit clumsy to work with.

Top one looks nicer too.

If you can find one with a round (instead of hexagonal), knurled, handle I suggest that is better uet. Not quite as fancy looking but the handle is a bit easier to get a good grip on.

Last edited:
Go for the top one. Easier open/close with that little lever at the back.

It can be opened with one hand while you hold the blade in the other. The second razor requires two hands to open/close. A bit clumsy to work with.

Top one looks nicer too.

If you can find one with a round (instead of hexagonal), knurled, handle I suggest that is better uet. Not quite as fancy looking but the handle is a bit easier to get a good grip on.

YMMV on the handle. I personally much prefer the grip with the hexagonal handle.

Thank you for the info! (and keep it coming)
My SE experience is limited to my two Schick Injectors, so all feedback on other SEs is most welcome!

I recently started shaving with a 1912 Ever-Ready and really liked it.

You can get blades at your local drug store or from Ted Pella.

Take it slowly, though. While they're good razors, they do require a more patient technique than Schicks or Gillette DE razors. Get the angle right, a good lather, and nice short strokes and you'll be just fine.

I have, and love, both of those ER's. The first time I opened the 1924 the blade came flying out and bounced around the sink. Open it slowly to prevent that. It may just be my imagination but I believe the ER version of the 1912 shaves a little bit better than the GEM versions, which are fantastic shavers in their own right.

I have both an Ever Ready 1912 and a 1924. I like the shave of the 1912 so much, I have never even tried the 1924, even though I like the look of the 1924 better. By the way both razor come in several handle options, I happen to like the hex handle on the 1912, don't find it hard to hold in the slightest.

One thing I can tell you, is that shaving with a SE is considerably different than the DE shaving experience. Using SE razors can be quite addictive and when you use a SE razor you know that you have been shaved!

DD

I've shaved with Ever Ready, Star, and Gem 1912s, and found them all good, with little difference between them. All of these were trademarks of the same company, at least eventually, weren't they? There are slight variations in head design, and I liked some Gem 1912s better than other Gem 1912s, but it wasn't a big difference.

I used an Ever Ready 1924 for the life of one blade, and liked it well enough. I found the handle harder to control than those on the 1912s; I suppose I could replace it.

Also one Ever Ready 1914, which I haven't tried yet. Again, a somewhat different head design. I'll get to it in due course.

Top Bottom