What's new

Ever Ready SE Razor

A couple of weeks before the whole pandemic thing hit last year I picked this up in an antique shop:

20210314_151627[2623].jpg

There were actually two, one of which came with a case. Sadly the boxed one was in a bit of a state and the shop owner wouldn't let me swap them so I went for the unboxed but considerably better condition one for £12. There was an old, slightly rusty blade in it which was of little practical use but did educate me on the kind of blade I needed to feed it with.

Inside it is marked "Ever Ready British Made", on the back "Made In England" and where the handle attaches "Patd 1912" which made researching it a piece of cake.

In the UK there seems to be very few outlets for the blades (make that 1 actually) and so it sat in a draw until a few weeks back when I noticed it, fished it out and ordered some Personna Gems from the ever trusty Connaught Shaving.

I did absolutely no study of how to use it and assumed the flat head should lie flat against the skin. My first use with this method turned out pretty good but on further reading I found that many people believe it to be at it's best with a slightly steeper angle with the head inclined slightly more towrds the face. My second attempt was using this method and all I can say is Wow!

For a one hundred year old razor this thing puts most modern designs to shame! The word smooth just doesn't do it justice.

The combination of the strong spring clamping a thicker but very sharp blade and the open comb mowed through anything and everything with consummate ease and achieving a perfect irritation free 3 pass BBS happened seemingly automatically.

I am a DE user first and foremost but this little beauty is definitely getting at least a weekly outing from now on.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I hear you....and I WAS a DE user first and foremost....after a few SE razor shaves, I'm more of a DE user second, and sometimes, third-most. Seriously, the Ever-Ready, GEMs and others in the GEM-style blade family, are truly great shavers....welcome to the club!!!

The British made are probably from the 60's. They are the most aggressive/least forgiving of the 1912 patent style line... not really my cup of tea.
On the other hand, over the past year, most of my rotation is a daily alternating between a (US) Ever Ready and a bakelite handle Gem Junior.
For me these are the best (of 6 dozen razors of many types). The Ever Ready is slightly gentler, so I use it on a fresh blade. I towel tap dry the blade and put it on the other dry razor for the next day. Keeping dry prolongs the blade life.
I would dabble with other razors now and then, DE or Razorock Hawk, all good - but I always go back to my trusty 1912's.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have the same razor and it is a great razor, It is stamped 1912 where you screw the handle in the head but that refers to just the model.
Everready built a brand new plant in England 1936 and operated until 1953 and it was to supply the British common wealth as a marketing strategy and that is where our razors come from that plant(I live in Canada).
I have one of the original Gem 1912-15 Damaskeene open comb where all other 1912 models were based from. There were improvements made over the decades and your razor is one of the later models with closed comb, larger drainage ports and a grippy handle that I really like. Enjoy!
Have some great shaves!

I love old SE's but the cost an availability of the blades is too irritating for me to get around.

Where is everyone getting blades for reasonable? DE at .05 each is so much better that what I am finding the SE. Besides, I'd love to get my SE's refinished, but haven't found anyone willing...

I was actually pleasantly surprised by how good value the blades were when I finally ordered some

I have an Ever ready made in England, gold G bar. It has no G but the space is still there just blank. A really, really good shave with any blade IMHO.

I have a couple of “made in England” Ever-Ready 1912 like the one you are using, and they lured me into this crazy, kooky world of vintage SE shaving.
My first se was a British 1912 as well. It dragged me into the rabbit hole, and this rabbit hole was a lot deeper than I anticipated.

Top Bottom