What's new

Ever Ready Advise Please!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
@rudyt I have a Gem 1912 Mfg 1921(Gold) model and a Everready English 1912 Mfg 1936-53(Chrome). They do look similar in blade reveal but Everready likes their rake angle a little different from other Brand name models I have & seen. Not sure this is the best method to show the slight difference in rake angle.(the ER could of been dropped at one time??)( picture on the right)

Gem 1912 VS British Everready 1912 comparrison 1.0 (2).jpg
Gem 1912 VS British Everready 1912 comparrison 1.2 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

R

romsitsa

I find that the English version you and the OP have shaves *very* different from all other 1912s. Mine is a BEAST and by far the most aggressive 1912 - like MMOC aggressive (and I pretty much have owned all of the 1912s worth owning). Part of my opinion might come from the angle I shave at - steep-ish.

A picture is worth 1000 words. Damaskeene on the left and English 1912 on the right. Notice how much closer the blade is to the edge. Can you or the OP check if you have similar geometry.
proxy.php

I noticed this difference between a GEM Jr and a Star, both were US made. The tabs of the GEM had to be opened up so it would actually shave, while the Star had to be folded back as the blade sat almost on the edge of the comb.

Adam

Here are some pictures to show how to tell the earlier Ever Ready 1912 models from the later improved ones made from the 30s onward. This revision on how they made the blade stops on the guards was introduced on the 1914 models and it applies to both American and British models.

Pictures used here are of the ER 1914 model.

Here is what the blade stop looks like on the guard for the earlier ER 1912 models.
1914nub.jpg
See how they are like nubs the blade end rests against.

Here is what the blade stop looks like on the guard for the the 30s and onward ER 1912 models.
1914hooks.jpg
See how the stops also hook over the blade ends unlike the earlier design.

To clarify the improved was a set marketing name to distinguish the reintroduction of the 1912 style razor on the market in the 30s. They only used it for a few years during the 30s and also marketed these razors in other sets. I don't want people to get the idea that the set is the razor like people who collect Gillettes tend to do and as such think every different set is also a different razor when it isn't.

Here is an improved set.
erimp1.jpg

Top Bottom