What's new

Ever Ready 300 Restore

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I picked up this 300 on ebay and though I would give it a go.

proxy.php

The lucite just popped off and drilled out knot.

proxy.php

Reset a new shelf and sealed with epoxy.

proxy.php

A neat quality of this brush is that when assembled, you can see the bottom of the shelf, so I thought t would be neat to put something in there. I tried several objects, but settled on the stamped copper Ever Ready man. It came from an old Every Ready 1914 case that was cracked.

proxy.php

I set a new knot 24/60 TGN finest. I wish I had set the knot a little lower, but the finished product turned out well I think.

proxy.php

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I did have to enlarge the hole, a 24mm fan is really big. Fully bloomed it is over 4 inches across. :smile:

proxy.php

How cool is it to get a greeting from the Ever-Ready man each time you use that brush?! He looks as happy as the Arko man.

one of the colest ideas ive seen in here.sweet brush and definantly unique now.got me looking at my old boxes for ideas.:thumbup:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I liked how well the first one turned out, I tried again. This time an Ever-Ready 300 E.

Before pics...

$$(KGrHqJHJDgFCIiQTz7,BQsUNkHsL!~~60_57.jpg

$$(KGrHqFHJC8FCbJLCPu5BQsUNq6V+!~~60_57.jpg

The knot was loose, but would not pull out, unlike the previous brush, this brush was set like a ball and socket. You can see the rounded nature of the epoxy. I removed the lower lucite portion and had to cut the knot in half with side snips.

$002.jpg

The original knot was 22mm, but I went with a 24mm Super Badger from TGN.

I polished up both pieces then went to work.

After opening up the brush to fit the larger knot, I needed a way to set the knot. Previously, I had built a shelf, but because of the configuration of the brush, I needed an alternative. I was afraid to pour epoxy resin in the upside down brush for fear of leakage, so I opted for marine epoxy putty. While the brush was still apart, I inserted the knot from the top and epoxy putty from the bottom and set the knot at 48mm. This work great.

Like before, I wanted to put something inside the brush, I used a St. Benedict Medal this time. After the epoxy cured, I set the lucite and gave it a go.

The Super Badger has less backbone than the Finest, but about the same tip softness. Overall I am pleased with the knot and how the brush turned out.

$IMG_4073.jpg

$003.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty cool how you can see the coin reflected in 8 different spots where the brush handle is beveled. Kind of kaleidoscope looking.

So I have to ask, the lucite just pops right off? I have one ready to restore and I'm interested to know how you got it off.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
The first one just popped off. The second one required a little effort. (Soak in hot water and brute strength) :lol:

The first one just popped off. The second one required a little effort. (Soak in hot water and brute strength) :lol:
Thanks Mike. I think I like your process for this type of brush. I'd hate to dremel into the lucite and botch the whole deal.

Oh, and sweet restores by the way! I like them a lot. Can't wait to finish mine.

Top Bottom