What's new

Ever ready 1924 and 1914...?

I have 5 gem razors, sold two. I haven't tried these gems so far :

G-bar
Streamline (probably never)
Lather catchers

Do i miss anything by not having a 1924 or a 1914? I like all micromatics relatively and 1912 is a great razor design.

What do you think guys? Buy and try?

G-bar
Lather catchers

Do i miss anything by not having a 1924 or a 1914? I like all micromatics relatively and 1912 is a great razor design.

The 1924 "Shovel Head" is ny favorite razor for Gem blades. I once took it on a long run to get 35 odd shaves from a Persona Gem PTFE blade. It's flip top has a big head, but something about the shaves. This also makes some loud toast scrapping noise as you Shave. It's a fun razor to have around, something different from the usual Gem Razors.

The Lather Catchers are Pure nostalgia and ornamental shaving tools. At a time when perhaps Razors were also not just tools but had to be decorative. The shave quality is average, but it looks imposing compare to the rest. If you're looking at utilitarian Razors, these might not add value apart from being the first safety Razors around before King Gillette DE razor design became the global standard for safety Razors.

I've got a Streamline. It's rare , it's crazy dollars, but is it a better shaver than other Gem Razors? Probably not. It's a smooth shaver and it is heavier than the other razors, maybe it creates an impact, plus it's bar / comb is well defined. Again for the dollars you have to pay, its an individual call.

I love the 1914 Ever-Ready. It's probably the most aggressive razor I have ever owned but it does shave very smoothly. I like the shave it gives. If you like aggressive razors you will love it.

ER-1914.JPG

Can't comment on the Streamline, but would pick one up if it was available. The G-Bar is very sexy looking, but "Meh" to me as it's pretty mild, but I should do a revisit. My 1924 has quite a bit of plate loss, but I don't think that affects the shave quality, but it was an okay shaver, not a favorite, but I should revisit it as well. I don't find the 1914 LLC as aggressive as some describe it, but I think it gives a great shave and it's a good transition from the Lather Catchers--the "lift here" top can be a bear sometimes to open so take care (I used mine this morning and once it finally popped open, the blade went flying into the sink and wedged under the sink stopper. I love my lather catchers as much for the shave as for their ornamental looks--I've shaved off a good 3-week beard with one without breathing heavy, and the audible feedback is fantastic.

If you're interested, I have a "spare" 1914 in a celluloid case with metal blade bank--if you're interested, PM me and I can send pics later.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

G-bar
Lather catchers

Both razors are great mid range, I really enjoy the 1914 because of the shave it gives and the audio feedback it transmits. I get a closer shave with the 1914 mostly it seems. My 1914 also has the 1st generation of blade stops and their is not a whole lot holding the blade back.

I think the ER1914 might be my favorite of all the Gem/ER/ASR SE razors. The 1924 is a good razor, but be aware that the shave angle is completely different from the other GEM/ER models, not as shallow.

The Heavy Flat Top (G-Bar/E-Bar) is a transitional razor between the Micromatics that locked the blade in tightly using internal tabs, and the later Feather Weight/Pushbutton/Contour razors that relied on spring tension alone to fix the blade in position. Transitional because unlike the subsequent razors, the Heavy Flat Top is all metal like the Micromatics.

If you have an opportunity to snap up a Streamline/Jewel for a good price, get it, but realize that it's just a prettier, heavier 1912 and will behave about the same as any run-of-the-mill 1912 variant.

I have coarse whiskers. My all-around fav probably is the 1924.

But I also like the sophisticated 1914 and the classy G-bar from the 1950's.

So many choices, but only one face to shave every 24 hours. Life is not always fair.

BTW the factory recommends lowering the handle just a tad on the 1924. And as usual the factory is correct.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
How do I recognise a 1914 from a 1912?
The 1912 has "Lift here" on the top cap. The 1924(AKA shovel head) has the pat date March 1924 stamped on the back.
(L) 1912.............................................................................................................................(R) 1924
Everready show down betwwen the 1924 Shovel head and the 1914 Little lather catcher (2).jpg

Here is some more information on these two razors if you are interested.

The 1912 has "Lift here" on the top cap. The 1924(AKA shovel head) has the pat date March 1924 stamped on the back.
(L) 1912.............................................................................................................................(R) 1924
View attachment 1410985
Here is some more information on these two razors if you are interested.
Just a typo but the 1914 has LIFT HERE, not the 1912.

Top Bottom