What's new

Ever-ready 1914

Today was a great day. I opened my mail box and there was a package. Now you need to know that I'm like a small child on Christmas morning anytime I get a package in the mail.

I rushed inside and locked myself into the bathroom to get some privacy. I ignored the pounding on the door and the cries of my brother screaming "Come on Ralphie!!" Okay this was a flashback from my favorite Christmas movie and didn't really happen. I actually went into my office and opened the package. Inside was my "Major Award", a 1914 Ever-Ready.

DSC01717 (2).JPG

I loaded it with a Gem blade that had 3 shaves on it already. Hearing everyone refer to the "mouse trap" effect of this razor makes a whole lot of sense after you load it. There is no constant spring pressure on it when opened but when you close it the spring hits a spot on the back of the base plate and as it passes this spot the spring snaps the top closed. This razor holds the blade in place with the "Kung Fu" grip.
I love my MMOC so finding the angle is super easy. Just keep the cap flat on the face and you will be all set. This is a smooth and efficient razor. Two passes and I was all set. The flatter head makes it great for under the nose. I love the sound of scraping toast and this razor has it in spades. Nice and loud. The lather catcher does it's job and holds almost a whole cheeks worth of lather.
I'm going to have to break out my MMOC and do a side by side. But going from memory this razor is right there with it.

I know this is the Year of the Gem. All the big players are coming out with their version for this blade type. Have I been tempted by these new offerings? Have I written an essay hoping to win over my teacher or waited inline to talk to the Big Guy? No! I have been more than happy with my Pall Mall and MMOC and now this 1914 puts these modern razors further into the rear view mirror..

Fraa raa raa
proxy.php

My favorite Gem blade razor. Even though I constantly complain about that snapping turtle top cap, I have come to realize that sometimes you got to live with the quirks to get the best. Doesn't stop me form complaining about it though.

I know this is the Year of the Gem. All the big players are coming out with their version for this blade type. Have I been tempted by these new offerings? Have I written an essay hoping to win over my teacher or waited inline to talk to the Big Guy? No! I have been more than happy with my Pall Mall and MMOC and now this 1914 puts these modern razors further into the rear view mirror..

Just like the pawn shop guy brought droves of shavers to vintage DE, these "big players" will bring curiosity, acquisition, and use, for many vintage SE razors. Love it! :thumbsup:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Great job, Ralphie! I mean, John. Mine doesn't have that nice handle yours does.
Now be sure to drink your ovaltine and don't shoot your eye out!!!
ralphie-sleeping-with-gun.jpg

There is one odd thing though, The handle kept loosening during the shave. I tighten it but I'm afraid to really clamp it down. None of my other SE are this way.

I haven't had one loosen up during the shave, but I have a few that seems to not lock in. Maybe pipe tape will help.

I haven't had one loosen up during the shave, but I have a few that seems to not lock in. Maybe pipe tape will help.
How often do the heads strip out? I'm thinking of tightening it with a goo twist but I'm not sure how rugged the threads are

How often do the heads strip out? I'm thinking of tightening it with a goo twist but I'm not sure how rugged the threads are
Use any kind of rubber cement or adhesive. There was a lot of crud build up in that well around the thread and I was over ambitious with the ultrasonic cleaner and tooth brush. The handle is coming loose because it needs more crud to build up. The threads are not stripped or anything.

Mine are not stripped, they tighten snug and are real easy to come loose. I just haven't had it happen during a shave.

@imatabor, We interrupt this regularly scheduled thread for an important announcement: Colonial Razors on their FB site announced that they made a design for a lather catcher using a Gem blade. They been talking about a secret Gem blade project for a while, but I guess they saw all the activity and are now moving forward on it. It will be made of aluminum initially and they will be taking it to their machining folks to cost out. Anyone wanting to show support of the project, go over to their FB or twitter page and make a comment.

We now return to our regularly scheduled thread.

@imatabor, We interrupt this regularly scheduled thread for an important announcement: Colonial Razors on their FB site announced that they made a design for a lather catcher using a Gem blade. They been talking about a secret Gem blade project for a while, but I guess they saw all the activity and are now moving forward on it. It will be made of aluminum initially and they will be taking it to their machining folks to cost out. Anyone wanting to show support of the project, go over to their FB or twitter page and make a comment.

We now return to our regularly scheduled thread.
proxy.php

There is one odd thing though, The handle kept loosening during the shave. I tighten it but I'm afraid to really clamp it down. None of my other SE are this way.
t_lkr_blue.png

"Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242 is particularly suited for applications on less active substrates such as stainless steel and plated surfaces, where disassembly is required for servicing."

Don't use the red, it's kinda permanent!!!

View attachment 811308

"Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242 is particularly suited for applications on less active substrates such as stainless steel and plated surfaces, where disassembly is required for servicing."

Don't use the red, it's kinda permanent!!!

The blue is good stuff. If it will keep various parts from vibrating off my Harley, should work on the 1914.

Blue Threadlocker is fine, but another option is a very thin and small lock washer from the hardware store. A lock washer also is MUCH less expensive.

Top Bottom