What's new

Ever-Ready 150: My Third Restoration

This is my third restoration. I won this one off of the Bay. I replaced the knot with a 22mm Finest Short Loft. Sanded with 600, 1000, and 1500 grit. Testors paint for the lettering. No weight modifications.

This one took a little more effort. There was a horizontal crack on the back side near the base of the black portion. I filled the crack with epoxy and left it pressed together in the vice overnight. As of this point, it seems to be rather solid. I will try to post a pic of the repaired crack... Also note that some of the lettering is getting rather thin. Not sure what I am going to do about that yet.

Post-Restoration:
proxy.php

Mid-Restoration:
proxy.php

Pre-Restoration:
proxy.php

Here is a picture of the crack, after I filled it with epoxy and left it under pressure overnight. The crack stands out when you hit it with the flash, but in natural lighting it is MUCH less noticeable. It feels solid now:

proxy.php

Nice !! I have a couple of ER's that have the same issue with the lettering. I even bought the micro bits for the Dremel but it just didn't look right ..not uniform enough I need to pick up a laser engraver.. lol

When it comes to the lettering not being deep enough, I just try to remind myself that they are vintage brushes. Much like fidjit said about the crack being a beauty mark, so too then is worn lettering. Besides, if they were all perfect, then we would have no reason to buy another one of the same model to try again. The imperfect lettering fuels the BAD.

Good job. I was wondering if you could fill the crack with a black colored epoxy then sand it down. I just might try that on my next go around. Fortunately, I have not had to deal with that or the crack was hopeless.

It's fun isn't it.

That's a fine job. It looks great!
What did you do with the lettering? Is that paint? If so, how did you clean it off the handle without removing from the letters?

That's how I have redone lettering. Came out great! That is a nice handle and nice restore. You'll like the knot. Lots of soft bristles packed in there.

$image.jpg
Five years later. It has been my daily brush ever since I restored it. I love this one now more than ever. It just feels right in my hand.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 76
Top Bottom