What's new

Ever-Ready 100T

The Omega boar knots (I got two identical ones just in case and make shipping per knot cheaper) from TGN came in today. I opened up the hole to accept the plastic "bucket" of the Omega knot. About 1" in diameter is what it took. Here is a picture of a dry fit.

$IMG_3250.JPG

$IMG_3253.JPG

$IMG_3260.JPG

The way Omega knots come with the bucket simplifies assembly immensely. I just sanded the white part flat after the hole was the correct size. This was necessary to make the bucket's ring align perfectly with the white part of the handle. The curve of the black ring around the knot flows naturally into the white of the handle. Looks and feels amazing. I de-funked one of the knots (still a bit funky, but much less). The dry fitted one in the picture is unwashed new knot the way I got it. The picture showing the brush hanging in my brush/razor hanger is the de-funked knot that I finally epoxied into the handle.

$IMG_3261.JPG

$IMG_3264.JPG

WOW!! That black ring really sets it off on top! You were right when you said that color combo would look good with that knot!

Had my first shave with this brush this morning. Absolutely awesome! This knot is excellent and already has many split ends. This just after a dozen or so de-funking lathers. The shave with it this morning was excellent. I face lathered Cella and I had enough of very good quality lather for 3 passes, touch-up and alum rinse afterwards. It still feels "newish", but already a good brush. I weighed it and it came in at 85 grams. That's a heavy brush. It feels great in hand and performs as well as an Omega boar is expected. Really good I am very happy with it and am glad I went with boar instead of badger. I only really had one Omega boar that I liked using (the other is a Semogue 1470 that I just can not make friends with). Now I have three. I restored a Stanley Home products Bakelite with the same Omega knot (I bought two from TGN). So basically two identical brushes with different handles. Have not shaved with the Stanley yet, but the de-funking did not reveal any huge differences between the knots, so should be just in the handles. The Stanley handle is very comfortable, but a very different shape. A bit smaller. Feels great in hand. I will shave with it next. Very happy with these Omega knots from TGN. If you like Omega boar brushes for their knots and don't care so much for the handles, do a restore with this knot. You will not regret it.

proxy.php

Last edited:
The finished product looks great. As many others have also said, I really like the rounded edges and think that knot goes well with the handle. Good work!

The finished product looks great. As many others have also said, I really like the rounded edges and think that knot goes well with the handle. Good work!

Thanks for the compliments. This brush is quickly becoming my favorite. I just acquired some new to me Simpsons, a Case and Commodore X1B (in best) and Commodore pretty much became the best badger brush for me and Case not too far behind (haven't really had much time with Case yet). But after building this brush and its sibling the Stanley Bakelite I am not even thinking badgers. I've gone through this before. Boars are so different than badgers that sometimes I just want no other brush. Eventually I go back to badgers, but then back to boars. They just feel so good and lather so well. Very little splay to the bristles, so knot stays firm, but soft tipped. It's just a lovely experience. Cheap, too.

The cup makes a nice contrast! Excellent work!

Yep, the cup does set off the knot well. Also the knot is set at the factory and that removes the whole agony of decision making as to how to set the knot. Some fun is also removed, of course, but these Omega knots are so good I would not change a thing. They are set up perfectly for excellent backbone and small, almost surgical lathering point (little to no splay). Just a wonderful brush.

Top Bottom