What's new

Ever Ready 100T brush restoration

I’ve had some luck with using caulk to fill in the void and then setting the knot. Also, the handle filled with caulk adds some weight which I like in a brush.

When boring out the remains of the old knots with Forstner bits, I almost always inadvertently bore through the "floor" under the old knot and end up with a hollow brush handle. This hasn't been a problem since the new knots fit snugly in the handles and don't slip. After several months of gluing new knots into handles, the knots are still firmly in the handles and the weight is fine. An alternative is to fill the hollow handles with marbles, epoxy, cork, etc. to create a new "floor."
Interesting, that’s good to know, I wondered how well it would hold over time.

It did stink some at first and I soaked it in vinegar and water to kill the odor, it did help some. I haven’t broken it open yet and I do anticipate some odor.

Hmm… “A feature that makes it easier to clean.” Haha maybe so.

Ive wondered how the knot would sit in there. I imagine I’ll have to create something for it to sit on as well. We’ll see. I’ll definitely use that same trick if needed.

Would you say an ultrasonic cleaner has been worth it for you? Ive done many Razor restorations and wondered if it’s worth it.

Thanks for the insight.

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight. If memory serves me correctly it was about $80.00. I use it mainly to clean my wife's jewelry and it works great for that. I have also used it for other cleaning. Ultrasonic often makes short work of many cleaning projects. I have used it on razors where it might be the best way to clean them up.

I have had mixed results with boiling a handle. I don't recommend it.
I also do not recommend boiling or steaming handles. The first time I tried, it worked fine and the knot came out. The next time, the knot stayed stubbornly in. The last time, my stovetop rebelled and started buzzing a warning signal because it was too hot. As I said earlier, I now bore out knots with Forstner bits.

I have Grandpa's old T100. He left it to me back in 1968 & although it looks much like yours, it still works great.
Are you doing a "restoration" or just grinding out the handle to put in a badger knot?
For actual restiration (that this brush actualy deserves), a boar knot wiuld be appropriate. Otherwise, leave it alone & just work on the handle.

So this brush doesn’t deserve a badger knot? Maybe that wasn’t what was in there, but maybe it wasn’t melted either… I just prefer badger and my desire for the feel of that with this handle is greater than whatever desire I have to follow the rules of brush restoration… (if they even exist) I wanted badger from the beginning because I was inspired by someone who put a badger knot in a 100T and it was very neat. To me it took a good thing and made it better, but that’s truly my humble opinion. To each their own, everyone has a different definition of restoration and a preference of knot.

Last edited:
So this brush doesn’t deserve a badger knot? Maybe that wasn’t what was in there, but maybe it wasn’t melted either… I just prefer badger and my desire for the feel of that with this handle is greater than whatever desire I have to follow the rules of brush restoration… (if they even exist) I wanted badger from the beginning because I was inspired by someone who put a badger knot in a 100T and it was very neat. To me it took a good thing and made it better, but that’s truly my humble opinion. To each their own, everyone has a different definition of restoration and a preference of knot.
"Deserve" has nothing to do with it. If you're rstoring it, the original knot is Boar. if you're just reusing the handle, anything that fits is fair game.

"Deserve" has nothing to do with it. If you're rstoring it, the original knot is Boar. if you're just reusing the handle, anything that fits is fair game.
I do understand that. Restoration was my choice of words for this thread and after all it’s my first brush project ever. I’ve had quite a lot of twists and turns in this project and I guess you could say I’m just using the handle. Didn’t think anything in the world about it.

Top Bottom