What's new

Ever Ready 100 restore. Leave the handle hollow?

I'm in the middle of restoring an ER 100. This my first brush restore. I'm tempted to simply epoxy in the knot without filling the handle (w/ epoxy, coins, etc.) or build a shelf. I'm uncertain if making the handle slightly heavier is worth the trouble. I also am not sure if there's any technical reason to build a shelf by either inserting a cork or glue in a disk.

Comments and opinions from experience brush restorers please.
:001_smile

That's pretty similar to the 300 PBT I'm restoring. Different shape, but not a whole lot different.

I'm going to fill mine with epoxy and something to weigh it down. Haven't made up my mind on using ball bearings or coins.

I prefer the heft of a heavier handle. Throwing a few pennies or washers into the epoxy is not much trouble at all. Maybe you can dry fit a few in before the final epoxy to get a feel for it?

...Ray

(Sando) I prefer the heft of a heavier handle. Throwing a few pennies or washers into the epoxy is not much trouble at all. Maybe you can dry fit a few in before the final epoxy to get a feel for it?

+1 on a heavier feel for me too.

I put some lead in my 500 handle. It did take a couple of dry runs to get the balance right but it feels much better now with some weight to it. Experiment to see what feels right for you.

I use the smallest round split shot lead fishing weights to fill the hole... I do dry runs to find the right amount then when I am ready I mix up a big batch of epoxy and then mix the shot in real good then fill the handle with the shot. At this point you can either let this set up before you set the knot or you can set the knot when you fill the handle with the shot.

Big fan of the heft. I used a few coins, a portion of a packing peanut, and some epoxy to fill mine. It feels perfect to me. More of a "quality" feel now.

Top Bottom