What's new

Ever lost your shaving mojo?

I've got a pretty good stable of razors - a half-dozen vintage Gillettes from my father, grandfather & great-grandfather, including a Fatboy and 3-4 SuperSpeeds, a couple of vintage GEMs, and a handful of newer razors, chief among them a Merkur Futur that I'd more or less used daily for the last 5-6 years straight.

Somewhere in there, I screwed it up by waiting too long to disassemble and clean it, and somehow broke off that little peg on the handle that acts like a stop. So now it doesn't really have a start/end, and the numbers aren't really accurate anymore.

Anyway, I had my technique dialed in to where I could give myself great two or even one pass shaves with it. But now that I took it apart, I can't seem to shave decently with anything. I've tried them all, and it seems like I just scrape myself awfully, regardless of blade or soap/cream. I've even tried a couple of new ones- a Vikings Blade Emperor Meiji and a Parker Adjustable Injector. Still manage to scrape myself and irritate my skin most mornings.

Anyone ever faced this? How did you get your shaving mojo back?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I've got a pretty good stable of razors - a half-dozen vintage Gillettes from my father, grandfather & great-grandfather, including a Fatboy and 3-4 SuperSpeeds, a couple of vintage GEMs, and a handful of newer razors, chief among them a Merkur Futur that I'd more or less used daily for the last 5-6 years straight.

Somewhere in there, I screwed it up by waiting too long to disassemble and clean it, and somehow broke off that little peg on the handle that acts like a stop. So now it doesn't really have a start/end, and the numbers aren't really accurate anymore.

Anyway, I had my technique dialed in to where I could give myself great two or even one pass shaves with it. But now that I took it apart, I can't seem to shave decently with anything. I've tried them all, and it seems like I just scrape myself awfully, regardless of blade or soap/cream. I've even tried a couple of new ones- a Vikings Blade Emperor Meiji and a Parker Adjustable Injector. Still manage to scrape myself and irritate my skin most mornings.

Anyone ever faced this? How did you get your shaving mojo back?
Sad to hear about your favorite razor losing the index nib, I have a clone of the Merkur Futur razor and I suggest all you do is push down to the lowest gap and spin handle to secure it there and with a sharpie or just remember the # will allow you to get to the same gap setting as before I suggest. The clone is slightly milder also if you can find a replacement is my understanding. If you lived near by me I would just give you a 2nd one I bought brand new.

I hope you're able to get it fixed, good luck! If you want to keep trying with another razor, pull out the Super Speed or Fat Boy on a mild setting & use it for a few weeks straight trying different angles & before you know it, you'll have your mojo back.

And please, keep us posted!

That is a bummer regarding the broken peg. How about giving Merkur customer service a call or email to see if there is anything that can be done? Someone else here had a thread about a really good customer service experience with Merkur.

And that is pretty awesome that your vintage Gillette collection is from all in the family. Wish I had nabbed some of my dad's razors when I was younger, actually so many things I wish I had saved from my formative years, especially my dads 1975 Formula 350 Firebird or his 1970's Pontiac Bonneville 454 with dual carbs and factory headers...anyways I digress...back to shaving talk.

Buy 10 of the same razor. Disassemble and put together 10 new ones. Get a fancy ultrasonic cleaner. Get some replating materials and the electrode. Make some gold razors. Keep the best parts for yourself. And oil for lubrication.

Make 9 additional friends or donate to B&B new members. In fact, do it every year. Have them donate or do a PIF.

Life is long. Enjoy the one you’ve got. Be a people pleaser. First person is yourself.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I am not a very emotional person, but noticed by shaving experience is heavily tied to my emotional state. Shaving before a funeral is best done with a highly cushioned blade, my otherwise very resilient skin is highly irritated otherwise.

It usually comes back after a while. Just don't they to force it.

You might be a bit desperate by now. You lost your favorite razor and this is dragging down every other razor you try.

Two suggestions:
Get a shiny golden or silvery shiny Futur. They exist.
Or try One of these hideously expensive Tatara Muramasas. This one adjusts not only gap but exposure as well. It might also be the new love you need! 😀

But seriously, noting lasts forever, everything constantly evolves and changes.... check out a razor you've been curious about, grab another futur and just retire your og. Whatever feels right for you

Something similar happened to me. I lost my ability to make lather with my brushes. For a while it just seemed I could not get a decent lather to shave with. It was below a good lather. I finally got it back after a while.

But seriously, noting lasts forever, everything constantly evolves and changes.... check out a razor you've been curious about, grab another futur and just retire your og. Whatever feels right for you

+1! Definitely! Time for another Futur!!

UPdate - I got it back!

What I ended up doing was switching away from DE razors completely for a few months, and used my Supply SE. Went back this week to my Emperor Meiji (haven't tried the Futur yet), and have given myself great shaves without the irritation I was getting before.

I think just getting out of the active habit allowed muscle memory to take over, and I'm back to better shaves. I do have to admit that I really like my Supply razor, and will probably move it into the regular rotation though.

UPdate - I got it back!

What I ended up doing was switching away from DE razors completely for a few months, and used my Supply SE. Went back this week to my Emperor Meiji (haven't tried the Futur yet), and have given myself great shaves without the irritation I was getting before.

I think just getting out of the active habit allowed muscle memory to take over, and I'm back to better shaves. I do have to admit that I really like my Supply razor, and will probably move it into the regular rotation though.
Glad to hear you got your Mojo back!

Top Bottom