What's new

Ever immediately regret a cream purchase?

I get scared to buy new stuff because despite a lot of research 95% of creams and soaps I have bought do not agree with me. In fact, until I discovered Muhle Organic shave cream, I thought burning from shaving cream was normal! But that cream doesn’t have the excellent slick and cushion of MdC which also luckily agrees with me (provided I air it out or use the unscented one). The only cream I am tempted to try now is Noxzema but sometimes I should just stick with what works.

I'm not bad mouthing this cream. It's a very good one, probably. The Omega Crema da Barba all'olio di Eucalipto.

It lathered easily and thickly. I liked the smell. I got it primarily for the eucalyptus.

But I do have sensitive skin. It hasn't been an issue with my other wet shaving products. I'm fact prior to a couple of bad days.my face has never felt better since wet shaving.

By the time I finished my first lather I realized there was probably a problem. It didn't feel right even before touching razor. I went ahead and did a second pass with it. It burned. It felt terrible. My guess is the "Parfum (fragrance)" ingredient that I didn't notice when purchasing this.

The other thing I didn't notice until starring this post: it's a shaving cream. I did notice that it was softer than my soaps but that didn't clue me in. I haven't tried a true shaving cream until now, and did suspect that I would prefer soaps.

I definitely do now: though I admit this isn't a fair test.

The take-away? This cream isn't for sensitive faces. Certainly isn't for mine.

View attachment 1511930
Check the manufacturing date on the bottom of the tub.

Currently in Europe are circulating very old batches of the Omega tub. 2016-2017. I have the same problem like you. My skin is very sensitive and with many creams I get irritation when they get older. With some creams even when they are fresh. The first tub was only 2 years old in 2018 and I didn't get the irritation. Then I bought a couple of tubs around 2020-2021. When I wrote to Omega with photos asking if these are expired, I got an answer that if the creams were closed they are good to go. Obviously a lie. I wrote a second email asking are they telling me the cream is not manufactured in June 2016, and received an answer "I didn't say that".

I believe there are no newer batches of that cream than 2017-2018. European law doesn't require the manufacturer to print an expiry date if the expiration is longer than 30 months. So we are just being tricked.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
I am not exactly sure what the scent profile ToBS was going for but it’s not sandalwood. Maybe overpowering cinnamon, holiday spice mix, mixed with synthetic imitation sandalwood based on my sniffer. It’s a love it or bury it kinda scent; wife also says bury it because it reminded her of a nursing home scent.
Yeah the scent is something like a chemical tanker crashing into a sandalwood tree maybe there is some sandalwood in there but I can't smell it for the chemicals.
Luckily my kids like it so they are the only ones who use it.

Check the manufacturing date on the bottom of the tub.

Currently in Europe are circulating very old batches of the Omega tub. 2016-2017. I have the same problem like you. My skin is very sensitive and with many creams I get irritation when they get older. With some creams even when they are fresh. The first tub was only 2 years old in 2018 and I didn't get the irritation. Then I bought a couple of tubs around 2020-2021. When I wrote to Omega with photos asking if these are expired, I got an answer that if the creams were closed they are good to go. Obviously a lie. I wrote a second email asking are they telling me the cream is not manufactured in June 2016, and received an answer "I didn't say that".

I believe there are no newer batches of that cream than 2017-2018. European law doesn't require the manufacturer to print an expiry date if the expiration is longer than 30 months. So we are just being tricked.
Wow.

While disappointed, this is great information to have handy. And it makes sense. Some of the ingredients I thought might be problematic, including the ultra-generic and unhelpful "parfume" is present in my other soaps that feel great on my skin.

I would check the date but I offered it to my wife, who is mildly interested in trying a soap/ brush lather on her legs. She said she didn't trust it after seeing what it did to my face. So into the trash it went.

Guess when it comes to Omega I'll stick to their synthetic brushes and leave the creams and soaps for others to "enjoy." Took me two days for my skin to recover enough for another shave after that experience.

Wow.

While disappointed, this is great information to have handy. And it makes sense. Some of the ingredients I thought might be problematic, including the ultra-generic and unhelpful "parfume" is present in my other soaps that feel great on my skin.

I would check the date but I offered it to my wife, who is mildly interested in trying a soap/ brush lather on her legs. She said she didn't trust it after seeing what it did to my face. So into the trash it went.

Guess when it comes to Omega I'll stick to their synthetic brushes and leave the creams and soaps for others to "enjoy." Took me two days for my skin to recover enough for another shave after that experience.
I use the Omega cream in the tube. Much better.

I tossed my Omega cream in the garbage because the screw top area broke on the tube. It was a disappointing cream but didn't cost much.

For more expensive creams, I like trying samples first before buying a whole tub.

I like La Toja classic cream but the sensitive skin version smelled bad so I threw it in the garbage.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Just curious, how do soaps work better than creams? Doesn't it boil down to a product/water ratio? I use both and I can't tell any difference between any of them with the quality of shave I get from either type.

Also, a Maine Yooper? I thought that was only allowed in Michigan!
They work the same for me. Just like soaps, some are better than others.

These two I regretted immediately. I just keep searching for a good lathering product that actually smells like Clubman.
Screenshot 2022-08-30 150832.jpgScreenshot 2022-08-30 150912.jpg

Top Bottom