What's new

Ever have a good shave go bad?

Anyone ever have a shave go FUBAR for no known reason?

I’ve been DE wet shaving for close to a year and had my morning shave end up a relative blood bath and my worst result yet.

My ATG passes on my neck just kept catching and digging in. I have no idea why. Everything and everywhere else was lovely. I’ve been jumping between razors... maybe I misjudged my angles.

I’ve mentioned to my wife, and to the coworker who got me into DE shaving that it reminds me of golf. It’s all about consistency and when it’s going well it feels great. But all it takes is a few fluffed shots to ruin your whole game.

Just wanted to vent.

I cut myself on the cheek pretty good using a Feather SS shavette about a year ago and I haven't picked it back up since. The reason is I have no idea what I did to cut myself in the first place and that kind of spooked me.

Now that I think about it though, I think it's time to give that sucker another go. I'll just be more careful this time.

I cut myself on the cheek pretty good using a Feather SS shavette about a year ago and I haven't picked it back up since. The reason is I have no idea what I did to cut myself in the first place and that kind of spooked me.

Now that I think about it though, I think it's time to give that sucker another go. I'll just be more careful this time.
I can relate. It was my first time using a Permasharp blade so I kind of want to blame that and bin the rest.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The two things that'll make a good shave go bad for me, is either an ingrown hair, or discovering an aftershave has menthol AFTER I've applied it (it burns my skin)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My experiences with a shavette have taken turns like that described. But generally speaking with a double edge razor...if it starts off good, it'll usually end well. Maybe a weeper or three on the neck towards the end, but they happen anyway on occasion. For me, weepers are a sign of two possible things...user error or...the blade needs to be swapped out. The latter is if it's on its 4th or higher shave.

Back on the horse a bit ahead of my usual 48-ish hours between shaves.

A real nice recovery shave!
Back to my ‘ol faithful DE89 and I even took a chance on another new-to-me blade (Lord) and it performed admirably.

No ATG on the neck tonight but some careful XTG with a bunch of blade buffing got me to my happy place.

Thanks everyone. I just needed to hear that other people have the wheels fall off from time to time too!

This is why I do one pass (WTG + XTG combo), and I never shave ATG. I'd rather get a comfortable shave than a super close shave with irritation. But, it happens. I have nicked myself in places (like my lip) when the shave was otherwise going well.

Using a straight razor, I've had some spectacular shaves go south quickly. Usually I got too confident and stopped paying attention. Cruise control can be done using a mild DE, but not a straight.

Other than a few weepers here or there the worst I've done wasn't during the shave but right before with a Gillette NEW Long Comb... I was holding it in my right hand when I went to reach for something with my left and lost my situational awareness (damn bifocals) hit the blade edge and with my middle finger and sliced it open across the top; turning it into a blood bath until I got it to stop. The upside was I had a fun time answering people that asked which finger I cut...

• Haha
Reactions: bjm
Top Bottom