What's new

Ever have a .22 revolver not like certain ammo?

I bet they are busy…. Long wait, but will be worth it if they fix it. They fixed both of my pistols from them. A SR9 that had a recall and a lcrii that had a tight chamber. like someone mentioned, they don’t machine anything, they just replace parts. As long as it’s right, you’ll be happy. I live by a Walgreens which is a fed ex pickup place. I just brought it in and picked it up from there. It’s best to do it that way instead of a home delivery. If you ain’t home, they don’t leave it…. Not sure if you have a pick up place close…
Got back to me today actually. Sending the firearm to them. 4-6 week turnaround. Ahh well.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I bet they are busy…. Long wait, but will be worth it if they fix it. They fixed both of my pistols from them. A SR9 that had a recall and a lcrii that had a tight chamber. like someone mentioned, they don’t machine anything, they just replace parts. As long as it’s right, you’ll be happy. I live by a Walgreens which is a fed ex pickup place. I just brought it in and picked it up from there. It’s best to do it that way instead of a home delivery. If you ain’t home, they don’t leave it…. Not sure if you have a pick up place close…
I do have a pickup place close but someone is always home. (Usually).

In the meantime I just ordered a Ruger Mark IV Tactical from gun broker.
that’s my thread about my Mar iv. Love that pistol! Eats most everything compared to my other 22 semiautomatics.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
In the meantime I just ordered a Ruger Mark IV Tactical from gun broker.
Very cool. If you intend to put a red dot on it, check out the mount from Tandemkross. While you can put the RD on the rail that the Mk IV comes with, the RD will sit lower if you replace the rail with the Tandemkross mount. You would need some other mount for your red dot to attach it to the rail anyways, so why not lower the stacked components by eliminating the factory rail? Just a few screws to fiddle with.

Last edited:
My buddies and I shoot and we all have guns that won’t eat certain brands. Normally we just stay away from that brand or trade. Never looked into the reasons why but, I do have calipers…

The problem with avoiding a brand of .22 rimfire ammo because it gave you trouble one time is that it varies lot number to lot number. A brand that may give your malfunctions or accuracy problems today may be some of the best stuff you ever shot with a different lot number tomorrow.

I know people who buy match ammo based on the machine the manufacturer used to produce it. You can decipher Eley ammos lot number and learn the machine it was made on.

Some brands even switch manufacturers altogether. For example, Wolf Match .22 used to be make by SK in Germany. Now it's made by Eley in the UK.

If I had a gun that gave me functioning problems with any brand of commercially made ammo, I would either repair or replace it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The problem with avoiding a brand of .22 rimfire ammo because it gave you trouble one time is that it varies lot number to lot number. A brand that may give your malfunctions or accuracy problems today may be some of the best stuff you ever shot with a different lot number tomorrow.

I know people who buy match ammo based on the machine the manufacturer used to produce it. You can decipher Eley ammos lot number and learn the machine it was made on.

Some brands even switch manufacturers altogether. For example, Wolf Match .22 used to be make by SK in Germany. Now it's made by Eley in the UK.

If I had a gun that gave me functioning problems with any brand of commercially made ammo, I would either repair or replace it.
This is why I don't own a Kimber.

LOL, it's probably the main reason I only own handguns that are revolvers.

When I first got my Ruger LCR in .22 I had issues where the hammer was crimping some of the rounds but no "bang!" was following. Sit the gun on a stump for a half minute and check it, sure enough, it had a strike mark on the "dud."

I just put up with it for probably 100 rounds, then it went away. What was the issue? Well, let's just say I treated it like it was a Ruger: they must "final assemble" everything on a Friday when everyone can't wait to start the weekend, or on a Monday when everyone is hungover! Of course, in the REAL old days the final assembly consisted of sweeping up the steel shavings from the floor and packing it in the gun so the owner just has to shoot the revolver 1,000 times so the gun action is "self polishing!"

But yet, I love Ruger's!

Last edited:
I looked at your location, wondering if I knew any 'smiths in the area. If you are in fact in TN, may the Lord bless and preserve your firearms...cause them boys ain't!!😜

Years ago, guy in Smyrna was supposed to drill & tap a Beretta 1201SP for an LPA rear sight for me. I even supplied a new in wrapper spiral forming tap, specifically for an alloy receiver. (Had I had a drill press, I wouldn't have been in there, buuut...)

He managed to break the tap, which is pretty much impossible to do unless you run it dry, try to break it, or you're 30 beers into your evening. He managed to do it after drilling (not tapping) the first hole. So, I had a receiver with 2 extra holes, and a snapped off tap that he covered with a dab of JB weld & called it good.

I removed the sight, punched out the tap with a piece of carbide rod, filled the holes with Brownell's stainless epoxy with black coloring, and matched the lines in the sight track using a razor blade when the putty was 1/2 dried.

That was the worst of three bad shops in TN, and the third from last time I used any "perfushonals" in any state.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
@BigFoot So my Wrangler loves Federal Auto Match and never missed a beat. I would get Ruger involved for sure but you might measure rim thickness of the offending ammo versus the CCI and see how much thinner the rim is on the CCI. The others might be thicker and the base of the case is dragging. Lastly, since you mention specific chambers pull the cylinder and inspect each one. Ruger say that the wrangler can be dry fired... THEY ARE LYING!!! Dry firing will peen the rim recess of the chamber. If your pistol was manhandled at the LGS and dry fired (due to lack of knowledge by everyone involved) it can raise a burr that would not let the round seat all the way in (see previous statement on rim thickness) and could cause the dragging you mentioned. Just my $.02 but there are YouTube vids on the subject.

Last edited:

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I looked at your location, wondering if I knew any 'smiths in the area. If you are in fact in TN, may the Lord bless and preserve your firearms...cause them boys ain't!!😜

Years ago, guy in Smyrna was supposed to drill & tap a Beretta 1201SP for an LPA rear sight for me. I even supplied a new in wrapper spiral forming tap, specifically for an alloy receiver. (Had I had a drill press, I wouldn't have been in there, buuut...)

He managed to break the tap, which is pretty much impossible to do unless you run it dry, try to break it, or you're 30 beers into your evening. He managed to do it after drilling (not tapping) the first hole. So, I had a receiver with 2 extra holes, and a snapped off tap that he covered with a dab of JB weld & called it good.

I removed the sight, punched out the tap with a piece of carbide rod, filled the holes with Brownell's stainless epoxy with black coloring, and matched the lines in the sight track using a razor blade when the putty was 1/2 dried.

That was the worst of three bad shops in TN, and the third from last time I used any "perfushonals" in any state.
Wow! That's horrible! Two of the best I have ever used were in TN. Southern Precision Rifles (Bugholes) and Craddock Precision are both in TN. They are good folks and do great work -BUT- just cuz' someone worked on a gun doesn't mean you are "gunsmith". To your story... If "I" have to supply the tap I'm out! Y U no have the toolz to do the job, Mr. Gunsmith?

Last edited:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
This is so true. I buy a lot of Herters .22 LR for plinking. I average maybe 1 or 2 rounds out of 100 that misfire. I had two boxes of it that were misfiring 1 or 2 times per magazine. Only time that ever happened.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Well I got the Ruger sent off. Now I just wait. In the meantime I should get a call today to pick up the MKIV. And my Henry Golden Boy.

Gunbroker said the MK shipped last week 2 day air. So either today or tomorrow Im thinking. They didn’t give a tracking number so just gotta wait for the transfer place to call I reckon.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Well I got the Ruger sent off. Now I just wait. In the meantime I should get a call today to pick up the MKIV. And my Henry Golden Boy.

Gunbroker said the MK shipped last week 2 day air. So either today or tomorrow Im thinking. They didn’t give a tracking number so just gotta wait for the transfer place to call I reckon.
You are going to have so much fun.

Top Bottom