What's new

Ever hava a shave go weird?

So this mornings shave left me scratching my head a little, and I just wanted to check in to see if this is somewhat common, or if there is a common cause for this sort of thing.

The long and the short is this: Areas that are normally very challenging went super smooth and easy. Some areas that normally are very easy to shave smoothly and comfortably have razor burn.

Overall, I would say that this mornings shave was somewhat sub par as compared to the standard I have been getting accustomed to. However, what really has me going Hmmm... is the swapping of easy/ challenging areas, along with some odd behavior out of the blade. In some spots, it would feel like the edge had taken a dive, catching, biting, and generally behaving like it needed attention on the films. Then, suddenly, it would just shave, smooth and easy, and behave like a freshly honed edge.

Maybe I'm just having an off day, but I figured I would check in to see if this is a phenomenon with a ready answer.

Was The razor just sharpened? Or maybe it needs a touch up? It’s possible that the razor needed some more time on the strop or you even caught the edge on something that hurt a spot on the edge.

Brother, the voodoo that comes with shaving with a straight is bar none, half the fun. Roll with it and fear not until it becomes a pattern. We all have weird days. Yes, that’s happened to me too.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
So this mornings shave left me scratching my head a little, and I just wanted to check in to see if this is somewhat common, or if there is a common cause for this sort of thing.

The long and the short is this: Areas that are normally very challenging went super smooth and easy. Some areas that normally are very easy to shave smoothly and comfortably have razor burn.

Overall, I would say that this mornings shave was somewhat sub par as compared to the standard I have been getting accustomed to. However, what really has me going Hmmm... is the swapping of easy/ challenging areas, along with some odd behavior out of the blade. In some spots, it would feel like the edge had taken a dive, catching, biting, and generally behaving like it needed attention on the films. Then, suddenly, it would just shave, smooth and easy, and behave like a freshly honed edge.

Maybe I'm just having an off day, but I figured I would check in to see if this is a phenomenon with a ready answer.
My shaves seem to be pretty consistent overall. If a razor isn’t “cutting” it for some reason, I just grab another one and finish and deal with the problem blade later.

I have had a handful of dud blades, especially vintage ones. Then there was the time I used alum mid shave and it killed my lather. All part of the experience I suppose.

Top Bottom