What's new

Ever had a soap "give up the ghost" aka lose its scent

I've been going through and finding all of my extended kit and products that has been underutilized over the years, and ran into a Shulton mug which contained a puck of dark reddish brown soap. It had a very faint sandalwood, spice, musk scent that didn't quite trip the memory circuits for me to recall from whence it came. Oh well.

The top was quite dusty so I cleaned it a few times to get back to a workable soap. What I noticed was in the lather there was, almost nothing. The faint sent of the puck was pretty much nonexistent once I built a lather. I shaved with it today, and the soap itself is fine technically, but a heavy let down in the olfactory department.

Anyone else have this experience? It is a fine enough and usable puck, but with no scent I don't feel so inclined to use it.

Last edited:
Shulton OS pucks have very little scent; but they perform like Mariano Rivera in the 9th.
That is true. I have one that I occasionally use, and it has lost most of the aroma, but that tallow soap is just so good I can't get rid of it. Also my love of vintage OS stuffs prevents me from doing so.

To clarify, the puck in question is certainly not an old Shulton puck, of that I am sure. It is some other artisanal thing that I fail to recall.

That is true. I have one that I occasionally use, and it has lost most of the aroma, but that tallow soap is just so good I can't get rid of it. Also my love of vintage OS stuffs prevents me from doing so.

To clarify, the puck in question is certainly not an old Shulton puck, of that I am sure. It is some other artisanal thing that I fail to recall.
I'm finishing up a Puck of Stirling Lemon Chill that has lost it's scent, and cold menthol feel. It too had sat out in the open in my Old Spice Mug over the last Fall, and Winter. For scent I just added a 1/2 sample of Stirling Executive Man. It's hard to beat the awesome lather that you get from Stirling.

Sent from my SM-A705U using Tapatalk

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Kind of a fitting name for it then.

:lol: "Old" Spice!

I have a WK Washington's Blend; it was one of those you'd pick up and check just because it smelled so great.

Alas, it faded like yesterday, now just a faint tallow funk.

AA

Stirling lemon chill, lime, and orange chill as well as caties bubbles Saturday morning. Basically unscented soaps at this point.

By the time I had gotten near the bottom of my first tub of Cella, it had lost it's scent. That took some years since I have other soaps, like everyone else. I just refreshed it with a slice off the new block I just ordered and it's back to that wonderful scent.

Stirling lemon chill, lime, and orange chill as well as caties bubbles Saturday morning. Basically unscented soaps at this point.

i will partially retract my statement. The orange chill was dried out. Lathered it up today and it’s alive!! Plenty of menthol laden orange goodness for a hot summers day shave. The lime and CB though pretty much as I initially stated. Still perform great but barely any scent left.

Top Bottom