What's new

Ever had a razor shave so good...

Ever had a razor shave so good but you just didn't like the way it felt but it gave you a great shave every time? I have a new Parker Variant that gives me a BBS shave almost every time but I just don't like the heft or long handle. In hind sight I should've bought the Merkur Progress but I went with the Variant. What did ya'll do in this scenario?

Sounds to me like you are having buyers remorse. Sell the Variant and buy a Progress or see if someone would trade razors. I've had the same situation happen to me.

Maybe, but I really think it's that I find it a bit awkward to shave with. All my other razors are vintage Gillettes or short handle razors so this one sticks out like a sore thumb when I shave. The weight difference and handle length is vastly different than all the others. If it didn't shave so well I would've sold it already.

I have XL hands. Personally, I love heavy razors with long handles, so the Variant is one of my favorites. I hate very light razors or ones with short handles.

One of the first razors I ever purchased was the Merkur 25C. Although it has a long handle, the handle is thin and hollow, so the razor is rather light. I could replace the handle, but the head is not heavy enough to provide proper balance. Thus, it rarely gets used.

I realize, however, that not everyone likes the same things as I do. For those of you who have different tastes, let's celebrate our differences.

It happens. Some razors are a joy to shave with and others are utterly boring and unexciting. I think the challenge of shaving is part of the joy. When a razor requires a certain amount of mastery, it gets high marks, especially if it provides an excellent shave. If it's too finicky however, and requires fine attention to detail to not butcher your face, then it falls outside of that interesting territory (at least, for me).

I have a similar love-hate thing with my Pearl Flexi. The shaves are great, but I just don't like it's bulky head and the handle seems a bit too short and thick.

I'm still not sure if I should keep or not. Selling it might not be easy, since not many people know anything about the brand or the model and those who do might be afraid that it probably has misalignment issues and that's why i'm trying to get rid of it.

Sell and buy or keep and buy. You already know you’re gonna buy in the end, so might as well do it right away and start enjoying the shave as soon as possible. Or stick with the vintage ones 😀 #toomanyoptionsarenevergood

Sounds a bit like my relationship with my variant (and some others) not my daily driver, giving very good results and somehow not that loved. And since it is affordable no itch to get rid of it either….

I know the Progress will be on my Christmas wish list, I was just wondering if anyone had the same experience at some point. I'm glad I'm not alone here!

Ever had a razor shave so good but you just didn't like the way it felt but it gave you a great shave every time? I have a new Parker Variant that gives me a BBS shave almost every time but I just don't like the heft or long handle. In hind sight I should've bought the Merkur Progress but I went with the Variant. What did ya'll do in this scenario?
Give the Parker more spins as long as you are getting good shave results. At least 15 or maybe better even 20 consecutive shaves before making a final judgement, I'd say.

If you still don't love it by then, sell it on BST and get an alternative which might fit better.

If you are not on the budget, keep the Parker until you know what REALLY fits your needs
> even if you don't love the Parker today.
> even if you will buy the Merkur (you will get yourself one, we all already know this 😉)

My 2 Cent only.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Give it a little more time you’ll get used to it I bet before giving up. Or buy both.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Sounds to me like you need to give that Parker Variant BBS razor a little more time. You may get used to the feel of it in your hand and the results are what everyone strives for. Can't be that bad. I prefer a longer handle on my razor. But, if it's the long handle that's causing you to dislike it...buy a short handle for that Parker Variant head. Plenty aftermarket handles out there.

Lets see...you get great shaves but don't like the razor. Ok. I'm thinking it's much ado about...little. Not trying to be snarky but everyone here is always in search of the "Great shave". And you've found it. I loved my Henson AL13 but I don't like aluminum...at all. Keep the Parker and maybe keep looking for the razor that fulfills both requirements for you. Then once you've found it then sell/trade etc the Parker.

Top Bottom