What's new

Ever go about two weeks without shaving?

I did, and my Redtip and Fred's blade gave me one of the best shaves.
Strange, if I shave every other day, or third day, the shave is not as good. Why is that?

Strange, if I shave every other day, or third day, the shave is not as good. Why is that?

I went 12 years without shaving. Does that count $BeardSmiley.gif

Before getting into DE shaving I used every excuse not to shave. Now I feel sort of guilty when I don't shave! :biggrin1:

every month, i end up with a 2 week beard or so.. love the feel and the subsequent shave..

however, a not sharp enough straight will pull a bit, so it's really nice to have a good edge to wipe off the beard like a warm knife through butter.

Same here, since retiring 6 years ago only shaved about once every month or two, or for special occasions. Hated shaving all my life and really hated the monthly shaves as I had to use electric clippers to get it down to stubbles then the plugged up multi blade razors to finish. Saw the Rick Harris commercial and remembered how safety razors didn't plug up and started researching. Found some cool DE, Brush and Bowl stuff and now love shaving every other day.

Pacing the floor waiting on UPS to get here with G12 Scuttle to try it out today.

No. Never since I started shaving in the 1950's

I don't know.

Not often, but I have gone that long without shaving.
On the plus side, your skin is fully recovered and probably protected by a couple of layers of dead cells.
Also, I believe that long hairs are easily damaged near the root by the mechanical action of the prep, causing them to fracture. This allows water to penetrate and soften the hairs.

You don't want to be using a multi-blade cartridge razor on 2 week growth. When a hair gets caught by several blades at once, it's going to get tugged badly. I have nightmares remembering shaves like that. No such problems with DEs or straights.

I can't really get away with it at work, but went about 2 weeks without shaving while I was on holiday this summer. It didn't work out too well: I majorly annoyed my girlfriend, ruined a bunch of holiday photos, and then got stuck overnight at an airport on the way home, and ended up having to tear the whole thing apart with a disposable razor at 2am, as had a meeting the next day. Might give it another bash next summer.

The only time I went more than a couple days was when growing a beard. I haven't had a full beard in a few years and since this whole wet shaving thing started for me a couple years ago i don't even maintain a moustache or goatee and I shave daily, never miss a day.

I just shaved yesterday after not shaving for a week.
My face was all bumpy and red underneath the beard.

I won't be doing that again, that's for sure.
I chose a slant and ...uh...hmmm....I don't even know what blade was in it.

Nice and smooth shave. Whenever I have more than 3 days of growth I reach for the slant.

I have two weeks growth right now with just cleaning cheek and neck area. I am planning on honing a Wade & Butcher wedge for my New Years shave. When I will clean shave it minus Gotee sans stash.

I've heard lots of men say that if they shave every second or third day, their shaves are better than if they shave every day, but not that the former delivers inferior results to letting it go two weeks. Shaving removes a layer of skin, and our skin needs time to heal and recover. For a lot of men, 24 hours isn't enough time, so the cumulative trauma adds up with daily shaving. That's why allowing 48 or 72 hours between shaving often makes for a better end result. But I couldn't tell you why going two weeks is that much better, unless it allows for total, absolute recovery.

The longest I've gone in recent memory is maybe six to seven days. On those occasions, usually my shaves are more irritating due to the massive amount of stubble that has to be sliced through. For me, 48 - 72 hours results in the best, most comfortable shaves for me, although I can shave daily if needed.

When I was in university I used to grow a "finals beard" - no shaving between the last day of classes and the end of the last final exam, which was usually about a week, maybe 10 days. Also, I think I shaved maybe three times over the two months I spent studying for the bar exam, with which my girlfriend was thrilled, let me tell you.

Last edited:

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I did go more than two weeks long after retiring and going horseback on a wilderness pack trip to the headwaters of the Yellowstone River. I was still using carts. After coming back I used a beard trimmer and then took a long time with a cart; lots of clogging and blast rinsing before done in one sitting.

I find if I go more than 2 days without shaving my chin & upper lip get all red, dry & the itch drives me nuts! If I shave everyday my skin is fine so I'm never going to be able to do the current scruffy fad. My wife is probably good with that since she hates my face scratching her.

No, except when I grew a beard. Now I only miss 1 day occasionally when I get lazy and am not going anywhere. When I stay up until 4am - 5am I sleep really late so there is no point to shaving until I get ready for bed. I shave at night. A 3 pass BBS shave will last until the next evening.

Top Bottom