What's new

Ever cut yourself and been happy about it?

So this morning I had a very interesting experience.

I re-honed this big 15/16" Wade and Butcher wedge last night, this time with one layer of tape on the spine. Todays shave was a new ride, that's for sure.

The edge did not disappoint. Cut through whiskers like a hot piano wire through softened butter. Unfortunately, it also cuts through flesh with similar efficiency and lack of any warning.

The shave overall was smooth, easy, and comfortable. However, driving this big chopper is really quite different, and takes a very different kind of finesse than the light little 5/8" full hollows I've been using. This thing just doesn't care what its cutting, doesn't skip, catch, or even hesitate, it just plows forward, and everything in the way just gets flattened to its level.

So yeah, there were several spots where I underestimated or miscalculated this razor's momentum and proclivity to just keep cutting, and paid for it in blood. Aside from that, though, it was a terrific shave! I am getting the impression that I will really enjoy this razor once I get the hang of driving it, and also that the new learning curve will probably be really good for my shaving technique in general!

So this morning I had a very interesting experience.

I re-honed this big 15/16" Wade and Butcher wedge last night, this time with one layer of tape on the spine. Todays shave was a new ride, that's for sure.

The edge did not disappoint. Cut through whiskers like a hot piano wire through softened butter. Unfortunately, it also cuts through flesh with similar efficiency and lack of any warning.

The shave overall was smooth, easy, and comfortable. However, driving this big chopper is really quite different, and takes a very different kind of finesse than the light little 5/8" full hollows I've been using. This thing just doesn't care what its cutting, doesn't skip, catch, or even hesitate, it just plows forward, and everything in the way just gets flattened to its level.

So yeah, there were several spots where I underestimated or miscalculated this razor's momentum and proclivity to just keep cutting, and paid for it in blood. Aside from that, though, it was a terrific shave! I am getting the impression that I will really enjoy this razor once I get the hang of driving it, and also that the new learning curve will probably be really good for my shaving technique in general!

I watched an Italian Barber use a shavette where he was making very short, what I call micro, strokes. Your post reminded me that I need to start using those again.

He cadence was that of a waltz...123.....123.....123

I can safely say I prefer shaves with no bleeding!
I watched an Italian Barber use a shavette where he was making very short, what I call micro, strokes. Your post reminded me that I need to start using those again.

He cadence was that of a waltz...123.....123.....123
Went to a new barber and got my first beard line up the other day. Felt like he was using a scrubbing motion with the blade. I really want to get an old school shave to see how a barber shaves with a real straight. Those barbers are getting few and far between.

Cuts help you learn. I've shaved with 3/8 up to 10/8. I'm finding that I really like 6/8. The big and heavy blades are neat but you better watch out. Also I am finally getting away from "scraping". It took a few cuts to get me to lay the blade down a little more.

I can safely say I prefer shaves with no bleeding!

Went to a new barber and got my first beard line up the other day. Felt like he was using a scrubbing motion with the blade. I really want to get an old school shave to see how a barber shaves with a real straight. Those barbers are getting few and far between.

Two of my favorite videos that I've watched many times:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I am at a stage, where any appearance of blood, is extremely disappointing. I've only had one so far this year, and was extremely angry with myself after 2018 had remained entirely blood free.

I am at a stage, where any appearance of blood, is extremely disappointing. I've only had one so far this year, and was extremely angry with myself after 2018 had remained entirely blood free.
That is such a foreign concept to me. I’ve never had a shave that was completely blood free. Not even with electric or cartridge shaving.

I’ve had quite a few very comfortable straight and DE shaves that only had one or two tiny red dots that I never even felt, but I cannot recall a single shave ever that didn’t leak at least a little blood.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
That is such a foreign concept to me. I’ve never had a shave that was completely blood free. Not even with electric or cartridge shaving.

I’ve had quite a few very comfortable straight and DE shaves that only had one or two tiny red dots that I never even felt, but I cannot recall a single shave ever that didn’t leak at least a little blood.

My one leakage this year, was a straight shave on a day when I should have picked up the DE instead. I knew my health was ropey that day, and yet ploughed on regardless. Had I have picked up a DE, and saved the straight for a better health day, I'd not have sprung a leak. That's why I was so annoyed with myself.

Normally, even if I have a spot coming, I'll stop and adjust, rather than just hoe it off. Anytime I draw blood, I give myself a stiff talking to.

Please don't take this as arrogance, this is just what I'm familiar with, with my hands, razors, and face. Other people will shave differently, with different kit, and different challenges around their facial terrain, and have different standards and expectations as a result.

I had an electric pull two (or maybe more? they caught at the edge of the round guard) adjacent hairs out together by the roots. A tiny dollop of red liquid rose to the surface. I would call it blood mostly for lack of anything else to call it. We're not talking about a dripper or a stream, just a spot where there was blood on the skin.

Top Bottom