What's new

Ever buy a razor on BST that the photo misrepresented the razor?

All my transactions have been very pleasant, and trading some pretty highend items and no issues. Do your due diligence though.

In your example, I would have sent the seller and note to describe the difference. Most sellers/buyers here are for the hobby and general interaction and not purposefully pulling a fast one. I'd imagine the seller would make it right or you'd come to a resolution that worked for both.

Now the downside of the BST at B&B, often times folks throw in some freebies. You do a trade and some extra blades or soaps or samples come to keep the item company. My wife has a keen eye for extras arriving 🤣

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
All my transactions have been very pleasant, and trading some pretty highend items and no issues. Do your due diligence though.

In your example, I would have sent the seller and note to describe the difference. Most sellers/buyers here are for the hobby and general interaction and not purposefully pulling a fast one. I'd imagine the seller would make it right or you'd come to a resolution that worked for both.

Now the downside of the BST at B&B, often times folks throw in some freebies. You do a trade and some extra blades or soaps or samples come to keep the item company. My wife has a keen eye for extras arriving 🤣
You ain't seen scared until you drag your aching carcass outta bed and you can't find your lovely bride.

Then you hear the front door close.

And you realize: your WIFE has beaten you to the mailbox!

And she sez: "One of your Badger friends has sent you something!"

"Does her voice sound more irritated than normal?" you ask yourself....

And then: you see it's just an envelope!

It's from yer ol' buddy @Grundi ! He cain't get you in any trubble! Oh yes! It's some CHALLENGE BLADES!

This one's easy: "Oh hunny! How nice of my Main Maine friend! He's just saving me munny, hunny, by sending me free blades!"

She walks away, comparing my ol' buddy to a drug dealer under her breath, and I realize: I have dodged another whuppin'!

You ain't seen scared until you drag your aching carcass outta bed and you can't find your lovely bride.

Then you hear the front door close.

And you realize: your WIFE has beaten you to the mailbox!

And she sez: "One of your Badger friends has sent you something!"

"Does her voice sound more irritated than normal?" you ask yourself....

And then: you see it's just an envelope!

It's from yer ol' buddy @Grundi ! He cain't get you in any trubble! Oh yes! It's some CHALLENGE BLADES!

This one's easy: "Oh hunny! How nice of my Main Maine friend! He's just saving me munny, hunny, by sending me free blades!"

She walks away, comparing my ol' buddy to a drug dealer under her breath, and I realize: I have dodged another whuppin'!

Ha, I wish I could keep my mouth shut long enough. Usually I confess my sins a day before the delivery date to make sure she answers when the post man buzzes. Better to take your lumps and get the ware as soon as possible.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
For myself, unless the razor is advertised as “mint” or “collector grade” or any of the by-words used to deceive a flawless razor, I buy knowing it’s a 50 year old item that was used everyday in water and soap, dropped a couple times, scrubbed with a toothbrush, etc. A couple of my razors sitting inside drawer used for a couple years have degraded as well. So, yeah, good to have realistic expectations. YMMV

For myself, unless the razor is advertised as “mint” or “collector grade” or any of the by-words used to deceive a flawless razor, I buy knowing it’s a 50 year old item that was used everyday in water and soap, dropped a couple times, scrubbed with a toothbrush, etc. A couple of my razors sitting inside drawer used for a couple years have degraded as well. So, yeah, good to have realistic expectations. YMMV
Yeah, that's good. Thanks.

This happened when I was really new here, but I bought a razor on BST from a well known guy here with a lot of posts. The photos of the razor made it look mint. Shiny silver. Polished. Light glinting off all the surfaces. It was a TTO and with the doors open, it was flawless. No brassing or corrosion. But when I got the razor, all the shiny pizazz was not there. The razor was clean and decent and functional. It was the razor in the photographs, but for instance, with the doors open it had some brassing and discoloration. Not a lot. It was relatively minor. But it was not the same as what was in the photos. I'm not saying the photos were photoshopped, but they could've been.

I didn't say anything at the time, but I felt like saying something and probably should have.

Anybody else run into this sort of thing?
I must admit I have a cynical opinion of BST. My observation is that most posters on that sub forum are trying to recover the maximum $$ of a sketchy purchase. I made two purchases on the forum. One was OK. The other was for an Old Type. The blade misalignment was so bad it was laughable. Fool me once shame...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I must admit I have a cynical opinion of BST. My observation is that most posters on that sub forum are trying to recover the maximum $$ of a sketchy purchase. I made two purchases on the forum. One was OK. The other was for an Old Type. The blade misalignment was so bad it was laughable. Fool me once shame...
That is sad, but I do think I'd be happier with a Gent on here than going on the 'Bay for stuff.

My Dad always said "fool me once....." so I blame HIM for my cynical outlook, lol. Once poor, always cautious with your money!

Miss the old man.

Top Bottom