What's new

Ever buy a razor on BST that the photo misrepresented the razor?

This happened when I was really new here, but I bought a razor on BST from a well known guy here with a lot of posts. The photos of the razor made it look mint. Shiny silver. Polished. Light glinting off all the surfaces. It was a TTO and with the doors open, it was flawless. No brassing or corrosion. But when I got the razor, all the shiny pizazz was not there. The razor was clean and decent and functional. It was the razor in the photographs, but for instance, with the doors open it had some brassing and discoloration. Not a lot. It was relatively minor. But it was not the same as what was in the photos. I'm not saying the photos were photoshopped, but they could've been.

I didn't say anything at the time, but I felt like saying something and probably should have.

Anybody else run into this sort of thing?

Eben Stone

Staff member
Is there anything to suggest that the razor in the photo is not actually the exact same one you received? If the photo doesn't look like the razor you received, either it was photoshopped, or you received a different razor, right? What else could it be?

Last edited:
Here's a minor example. Same razor, different lighting. The second pic I was actually trying to highlight the pitting and it was pretty challenging to get it to come across photographically.
20211226_134733.jpg
20211026_123430.jpg

Unfortunately, I've had that happen to me, as well. I don't think it was done intentionally, but it was a bit disappointing.
Thanks. Hopefully it's not done intentionally, and I'm sure it almost never is, but you never know. It's like there's two kinds of people. The kind of people that will conceal a problem (eg. They just show a photo of the razor with the head closed and it's only inside the doors that it's pitted.) and the people that go out of their way to highlight a problem, circling it in red, to make sure the buyer is aware of what he'll be getting.

I do want to say, though, that my experience on BST has been overwhelmingly positive, and the amount of generosity over and above was expected has far outweighed the disappointing experiences at the other end of the spectrum.

Is there anything to suggest that the razor in the photo is not actually the exact same one you received? If the photo doesn't look like the razor you received, either it was photoshopped, or you received a different razor, right? What else could it be?
Thanks. I'm convinced it's the same razor. As far as what else it could be? The lighting? The angle of the camera? And maybe it was slightly touched up in Photoshop? (I suppose I could ask the guy but in the interest in peace and goodwill I won't.)

Might not be intentional, lighting and reflections are capricious. I have often looked at my SOTD pics and wondered how a beater razor came out looking so good on the screen, without any editing.
Thanks. True. It's just maybe sellers should photograph the razors in the same lighting that the buyers will be looking at them. Something to more accurately represent what they'll be getting.

+1! My overall feeling is that you are much better off on BST here than on the well known auction sites.
Thanks. Agree 100%. B&B is the best. And so is BST. I think a big part of it though is kind of getting to know who the sellers are and feeling more comfortable about purchases based on their reputation in the B&B forums.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks. I'm convinced it's the same razor. As far as what else it could be? The lighting? The angle of the camera? And maybe it was slightly touched up in Photoshop? (I suppose I could ask the guy but in the interest in peace and goodwill I won't.)
It could be an honest mistake. I pray it is, because this place is the most gentlemanly place I know of.

If it was not a mistake....well. I believe what comes around goes around. He knows who he is. If he reads this thread and doesn't reach out to fix it, as my Dad used to say "You bought him cheap."

Here's a minor example. Same razor, different lighting. The second pic I was actually trying to highlight the pitting and it was pretty challenging to get it to come across photographically.
View attachment 1411378View attachment 1411379
Wow. Thanks for that! That's probably what happened. And I had the same sort of reaction (disappointment) when I received the razor I purchased.

But the question would be: Is posting the top photo (the bright one with the razor leaning on the brush) in BST unethical?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thanks. Agree 100%. B&B is the best. And so is BST. I think a big part of it though is kind of getting to know who the sellers are and feeling more comfortable about purchases based on their reputation in the B&B forums.
Yes. There are shy folks that don't post at all. But if I haven't engaged with a person in threads, and only see them post in BST, I am probably not going to be buying from them.

It could be an honest mistake. I pray it is, because this place is the most gentlemanly place I know of.

If it was not a mistake....well. I believe what comes around goes around. He knows who he is. If he reads this thread and doesn't reach out to fix it, as my Dad used to say "You bought him cheap."
Those are wise words. Thanks.

I always ask about the condition of the razor and especially if they are TTO's, since they are prone of misalignments, lazy doors and other issues. Sometimes the pictures can be deceiving and whatever that's done on purpose or not is hard to say. My advice is to always ask for an additional information about the razor even if you get pictures, because there's a huge difference between seeing a razor on a picture and having it in your hand.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Not sure how a seller might know in advance what lighting a buyer might use .. I've always tried to post multiple pictures and invite folks to ask for any other angles .. what I see more often now are sales with only a single photo - eg., TTO's for sale that don't include a picture of the silo doors straight on ..

I'd expect someone who felt strongly to ask the seller to return the item ..

Thanks. True. It's just maybe sellers should photograph the razors in the same lighting that the buyers will be looking at them. Something to more accurately represent what they'll be getting.
Ironically the more flattering of the two photos I posted was taken on the edge of my bathroom sink.

As far as ethics, I'm not willing to speculate. I think you'd be better served by having this conversation with the seller directly than here, frankly.

I will say, though, having bought and sold a number of razors on the big auction site, it can work the other way too. I've picked up razors for next to nothing that ended up looking far better in hand than they did on the screen.

Top Bottom