What's new

Evaluate my Edge

After cruising the honing forums, it seems there is a common practice of beginners sending razors to more experienced honers to Gabe their edge evaluated.

Is there an established place to solicit this? I've got a few razors I'd love some advice on.

Edge evaluation is done during shaving, only you will know how they shave. The fact you ask indicate that you are not satisfied. Best would be to find a reputable honer close to you and discuss requirement. Bevel set is 90% of the work and will significantly impact your finishing results. If the foundations is weak, so will be the final edge.

After cruising the honing forums, it seems there is a common practice of beginners sending razors to more experienced honers to Gabe their edge evaluated.

Is there an established place to solicit this? I've got a few razors I'd love some advice on.

It would be wise to post your general location.

I'm currently in the Richmond area of Virginia

Edge evaluation is done during shaving, only you will know how they shave. The fact you ask indicate that you are not satisfied. Best would be to find a reputable honer close to you and discuss requirement. Bevel set is 90% of the work and will significantly impact your finishing results. If the foundations is weak, so will be the final edge.
Correct; I'm not satisfied. Two or three have come back from pros and haven't felt amazing. I've also honed a few I'm not satisfied with. Bottom line is I need someone with more experience to tell me what needs to change.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
There were some guys here that did blade exchanges with other members years ago. IIRC it was very helpful to them sending the razors back and forth and evaluating each others edges. Good luck with it. Looks like you just got a possible partner.

There were some guys here that did blade exchanges with other members years ago. IIRC it was very helpful to them sending the razors back and forth and evaluating each others edges. Good luck with it. Looks like you just got a possible partner.
My hope is we create a dedicated thread of gurus willing to take on the task to work with the beginners. I'm optimistic!

One thing I’ve seen others do in the past is to video yourself & post it on YouTube & post a video here on the forum by sharing a link to it. This way people can weigh in.
For example your 1st video might cover your attempt at setting the bevel.

Last edited:
There were some guys here that did blade exchanges with other members years ago. IIRC it was very helpful to them sending the razors back and forth and evaluating each others edges.
I was one of the people who did this. IME it was a fantastic help. We usually each sent two razors at a time (4 razors in transit) to cut shipping time and cost. We even periodically sent each other edges that we weren't completely satisfied with to see that we were getting honest feedback. Upon receiving razors we would shave with them, inspect them, dull them, hone them, test shave them, and return them. Then repeat. We normally communicated our opinions by phone.

At the time my honing partner and I were close to equal in the quality of edges that we could produce, though he was much more experienced with a variety of natural hones. We both quickly got better.

Last edited:
I was one of the people who did this. IME it was a fantastic help. We usually each sent two razors at a time (4 razors in transit) to cut shipping time and cost. We even periodically sent each other edges that we weren't completely satisfied with to see that we were getting honest feedback. Upon receiving razors we would shave with them, inspect them, dull them, hone them, test shave them, and return them. Then repeat. We normally communicated our opinions by phone.

At the time my honing partner and I were close to equal in the quality of edges that we could produce, though he was much more experienced with a variety of natural hones. We both quickly got better.
There is no substitute for experience; no amount of forum reading can replace it. Sometimes you just need someone who has been there to take a look.

Was there a particular forum for this? If so I'd just direct all traffic here to there.

Top Bottom