What's new

European Vacation Fragrances

I have been lurking on the Fragrance sub-forum for some time, wanting to expand into this new A.D.

In the past year I have picked up some of the sample selections from Penhaligon’s, and then cologne versions of some of the German and British traditional companies (TOBS, Truefitt & Hill, Tabac, etc).

I just returned from a vacation to Germany, Austria and Slovakia where I found an abundance of stores with fragrance sample to test out.
The Douglas chain is wide spread in both Germany and Austria, and each store has a few different selections. Also there were several L’Occitane shops, as well as other fragrance stores to sample from.

The Farina Fragrance Museum in Köln is an excellent place to visit. It offered a very interesting history tour/presentation on the history of “Eau de Cologne”.
http://farina.org/museum/

Farina set up in Köln in 1709, and has been producing ever since. Back then there was little protection for copyright and many tried to copy Farina’s fragrance, the most famous copycat being 4711. After an eighty year court battle Farina won, and then the name of the imposter had to change, and it became 4711 (their street address). I do enjoy both scents; however the Farina Eau de Cologne is more enjoyable, and is longer lasting than the 4711.

So over the course of several visits I have selected a few favourites;
Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme
Farina Russish Leder
Farina Eau de Cologne
Burberry London
L’Occitane Vetyver
L’Occitane Mer &Mistral

It was very interesting and informative being able to test so many different fragrances and companies. Some which I looked forward to trying did not work well on me (Knize Ten comes to mind).

Wow, that must have been fun! A real treat to sample scents not easily obtained, if even possible, in North America. Now you're faced with the dilemma of how to replace them when they run out. :blush:

Thank you.

If anyone is going over here is the Douglas link:
http://www.douglas.eu/

The two Farina ones are the most challenging to replace, but I was visiting friends; so between me going there and they visiting here I can keep supplied.

The others I can get in North America.

In France this guy knows the way.

$iu-4.jpg

I just flew through Charles de Gaulle Airport the other day and was surprised at the exceptional selection of fragrances in the duty free section. Maybe the best I've ever seen. With the dollar pretty strong against the euro, not a bad time to buy if you are traveling.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Thank you.

If anyone is going over here is the Douglas link:
http://www.douglas.eu/

The two Farina ones are the most challenging to replace, but I was visiting friends; so between me going there and they visiting here I can keep supplied.

The others I can get in North America.

Where dd you find the two Farinas??

Douglas chain is pretty good. They have it here in Hungary too...I think they stock some decent shaving supplies as wells as fragrance.
I definitely remember they had a substantial amount of Proraso products when I last visited.
Only downside is it can be pricey....compared to other stores here.

Where dd you find the two Farinas??

I picked up the Farina's from their store in Cologne. They offer a very nice tour talking about the history of Farina (same location since 1709), and the development of fragrances. They do ship, but the costs are quite high.

They have also developed a line of fragrances aligned with the zodiac, so 12 for men and 12 for women. I sampled several while at the store. They must be new, as these are not listed on the webpage.

If you have the opportunity this store/museum is worth a visit.

Top Bottom