What's new

European Shipping Woes

Anyone having problems with goods being shipped from Europe...most specifically Italy or Portugal? I placed an order on April 20; it showed acceptance on April 22 in Lisbon...where it remains according to the USPS tracking site.
The vendor seems helpful. Claims the problem is due to the.....yep, virus. Oddly enough I am receiving purchases from other European locations with no real problem. Anyone else in this situation?

Yep... 41 days from The Netherlands to here. Mostly because we were not allowing flights from the Netherlands, so "alternate methods of shipment have to be utilized" according to NLPost's web site.

Waiting on packages from Russia, Latvia, Netherlands that were mailed in April and May. Holding off on a big German order.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
I had a brush from Simpson's that took 30 days to arrive, normally would have taken about 2 weeks, but thankfully I had tracking info and it was delivered eventually.

I got a Simpson brush that took two weeks to even be entered in the Royal Mail database and when it was sent eventually, it stayed another two weeks in US Customs. It is not FINALLY on it's way to me. TBH - the Simpson folks were very prompt in answering my requests and very sympathetic.

I also have a package from Russia that was in preparing for shipment status for almost a month and finally left Russia.

Let's not even talk about the two items I got from China (two months and counting, and I don't even know where it is).

Non-expedited packages from U.K. have been taking ~30 days, IME, since like late March/early April. I have a small Connaught (untracked) order that shipped from U.K. April 21, still waiting, but not surprised.

I'm reluctant these days to have "large" $$ international orders due to (perhaps unfounded) concerns over shipping. Guess my attitude is the longer it's en route, the higher the chance of lost/stolen items. Again, admittedly possibly (probably) faulty assumptions.

International shipping has slowed to a crawl and tracking is more or less pointless right now. The good news is that is seems like reliability hasn't slipped so I'd expect your packages to arrive, but you'll be waiting for quite a while.

I have a package that shipped from Barcelona on the 14th of April. Shows it’s en route and that’s it.
have one from Switzerland that shipped on the 28th of April and shows that it’s in New York (I’m in the sf bay)
I’m guessing I’ll eventually get them, but when, who knows

Likewise the other way around. I'm still waiting on a package that was sent from California back in early April. Tracking last shows it being in Atlanta. I'm sure it will turn up in Ireland eventually.

I have had a number of shipments taking forever. From here to France took six weeks and is usually no more than two weeks. Had an order from here (Chicago) going to Milwaukee. After ten days it still has not arrived. The postal service is overwhelmed with all of the online ordering going on - they are swamped.

I’m waiting on a Maggards order that was sent to Australia on 16 March 2020. Two months and counting!!!

I placed and order from France and it was here in a week...

Likewise the other way around. I'm still waiting on a package that was sent from California back in early April. Tracking last shows it being in Atlanta. I'm sure it will turn up in Ireland eventually.

I was supposed to be leaving for Ireland next Thursday... But since the Irish Govt would make us quarantine for 14 days... the exact days we'd be there.. it makes no sense. But Aer Lingus wont give us a refund because they are still flying empty planes back and forth. :(

But since they are flying empty planes back and forth, you would think they would at ship packages and mail. <shrug>

Sorry... a little bitter here.

Package that I mentioned above that was shipped on the 14th of April arrived today. So approximately little more than a month for a razor to get from Barcelona to San Jose.

I ordered from a retailer in Spain on the eve before they more or less started to resume nonessential business operations. Had a good experience overall, expecting a slower shipping process as a result of the global impact of COVID. I received my items almost 2 weeks to the day.

i have two more boxes en route from the same vendor placed at the end of April. These are ready to leave the country and USPS has the tracking numbers live and recognized in their system. Still awaiting the items to depart the country of origin. I expect as more business are getting back into the swing of things, that the shipping depots are just swamped and with international being less frequent and not necessarily being able to send some items to some destinations at all, they are facing some major logistical challenges. Hopefully we see some movement soon. I prefer to remind myself that a watched pot doesn’t boil, so constantly checking the tracking and getting annoyed that there is no change, doesn’t help anything. Hopefully we can assume the bright side is with all of the packages to be shipped, that businesses are able to begin recovering.

Seems it isn’t just international shipping. In the past two months:
UPS lost a brush shipped to Lexington, KY from Cleveland, TN
USPS has lost goods sent from Georgia to Missouri. Also just today, incorrectly sent a package from Tennessee to the wrong post office located about 25 miles south of here in Georgia. That means another two days or so.
I have lost count of the shipping extended delays. I’m just glad I eventually got the stuff.
They say this too shall pass, hopefully soon

Last edited:
But since they are flying empty planes back and forth, you would think they would at ship packages and mail.
From what I hear the empty space is being used for cargo; it seems they cover the seats and are able to put the goods in the cabin. I expect they are selective on what goes in the cabin.
Nevertheless the air freight is overwhelmed because of the flight restrictions.

It will vary depending on where in Europe it's coming from as every country has their own lock down rules. Italy, especially the North had a full on lockdown so I would expect delays from there. Portugal has been gradually easing its lockdown so goods might start to be processed their quicker.

Top Bottom