What's new

Eternal Blade Life?

With many blades, the 2nd shave tends to be better than the 1st.

I do not know how many shave you can get out of a blade, but many of us with coarse beards can only get a few shaves. There is no way I could use a blade for 10 shaves, much less 50 or 100.

The first shaves with alot of blades I try are harsh. That's one reason I like Derby or Dorco blades, they are sharp enough for a few shaves and are never harsh like that new. I'd rather go through 2-3 blades a week than suffer through a harsh shave just to get to a decent shave.

Shark Super Stainless seems like a bit of a compromise between the two extremes.

The first shaves with alot of blades I try are harsh. That's one reason I like Derby or Dorco blades, they are sharp enough for a few shaves and are never harsh like that new. I'd rather go through 2-3 blades a week than suffer through a harsh shave just to get to a decent shave.

Shark Super Stainless seems like a bit of a compromise between the two extremes.

Derby Extra and Shark super chrome blades are not even sharp enough to cut my coarse beard. I cannot use them. However, I do like Dorco Prime Platinum STP301 and Shark Platinum blades, they are both sharp and smooth.

I have tried all kinds of carts in my life. I have sensitive, combination skin. I have found the most comfortable and smooth shave for me is a double edge. No irritation and no burning.

With many blades, the 2nd shave tends to be better than the 1st.

I do not know how many shave you can get out of a blade, but many of us with coarse beards can only get a few shaves. There is no way I could use a blade for 10 shaves, much less 50 or 100.

Depends on your stubble and how well the edge is cutting it once coating completely wears off. A razor that properly clamps the edge provides better cutting power IME. Quality raw stainless steel edge is very durable. Carbon steel starts keen but quickly oxidizes.

I found some ancient Schick 3 plade disposable in one of my bathroom junk drawers, where it had been abandoned & battered about by clippers, combs & stuff. Holding it just right in the light you can see the blades dented & kinked just a little. Ready to toss it, I recalled reading about forearm stropping. A test shave beforehand showed it was still usable. After arm stropping it seemed much smoother. It's on the back of the sink & I use it to shave the back of my neck after every time I cut my hair. So far, it shows no signs of giving up, even though I'm looking for an excuse to toss it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I thought all you had to do to keep a cart's edge was to leave it out each night under moonlight 🤔.

Depends on your stubble and how well the edge is cutting it once coating completely wears off. A razor that properly clamps the edge provides better cutting power IME. Quality raw stainless steel edge is very durable. Carbon steel starts keen but quickly oxidizes.

Not only do I have a coarse beard, but I also have sensitive skin. Generally, I change blades because the edge starts to feel rough on my skin, even though the edge might still be sharp enough to cut my beard.

For me, the prime example of coating wearing off is the Personna comfort coated (lab blue) blade made in USA. I find the first shave to be very smooth on my skin, but the heavy coating makes the edge dull. The blade tugs at my beard and the shave is not good. After the first shave, much of the coating has worn off and the next couple of shaves are great. After four shaves, however, the edge starts feeling rough on my face, so I bin the blade. I have also heard reports of others who have a similar experience, but there are many different beard types and skin types, so each person has to do what works for him.

I just saw a vid where a guy has made a Mach 3 cart last for two years by stropping it on his forearm after every shave.
TWO YEARS!!!

What do you guys think?
I did that for a couple of years, but every cart lasted me two or three months, shaving me one or two times a week. Only the first 2 or 3 shaves with the mach 3 were excelent, being the first strokes too sharp. They reached the 2nd month being dreadful razors, but better than most disposable razors.

The forearm thing didn't make the cart sharper, but it did help to avoid scratching my skin with the upper sides of the edges.

My facial hair is coarse with a disordered grain and my skin is thin and sensitive under my jaw. Most disposable razors doesn't work for me, but the Mach 3 did a very good job. Anyways, I thing they are expensive and they turn into plastic waste soon enough, so now I'm using a safety razor for the first time; Edwin Jagger DE89 with derby extra.

Now I need a lot more time to shave and the results aren't better, specially right under my jaw. With the Mach 3 I did 2 passes; with the grain and against the grain. With DE89 I'm doing 3 passes; with, cross and against the grain.

My facial hair growing sideways under my jaw make it difficult shave with the big head of the safety razor. That wasn't a problem with the Mach 3, because I could use that tiny head with a lot of pressure. I'm waiting for a blades sample pack hoping Derby extra being the culprit.

Good idea to try a blade sampler. Not everyone likes the Derby Extra but it was very recommended 10 years ago on this forum. Much like Astra SP is very recommended in many post now. At first I did not like Derby Extra but lately they have been very good lately I think. Its from the same batch so something have changed with my beard or I have improved technique or prep over 10 years :)

Astra SP's were among the first blades I got when resuming wet shaving. The do the job well and I'll always have them on hand, along with Voskhods and BIC Chrome Platinums.

Top Bottom