What's new

Et tu Speick Stick?

During my last month's hiccup at GRUME I ordered a few Speick Sticks and hoped they would be tallow.

I just received the delivery and all of them are new formula Vegan Speick shaving stick.

View attachment 1345360

Since I never used Speick before I wasn't disappointed at all and just accepted it as a good opportunity in disguise.

I already have a good stock of Tallow Tabac and it'll be well complimented by the vegan Speick shaving stick.

I loved the slightly spicy aroma from the stick and they will be used this week.

Reading the experience of @old_school I have confidence that it'll be a good performance soap.
Check the ingredients list on those sticks. The packaging was updated before they changed the formula, then again after the change. You might have gotten lucky.

Check the ingredients list on those sticks. The packaging was updated before they changed the formula, then again after the change. You might have gotten lucky.
The ingredients list on my Speick Vegan shaving stick package :

Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Laurate, Sodium Laurate, Glycerin, Aqua, Parfum (fragrance) ***, Valeriana Celtica (Speick), Extract **, Lavanda Angustifolia, Herb oil, Lauric acid, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Linalool *, Limonene *, Eugenia *, CI 15850 (Pigment Red 57)

* = component of essential oils
** = Organic ingredient from biologically regulated wild harvesting
*** = Combination with essential oils

IMG_20211014_182539.jpg

In any case (new or old formula) I'm happy to use the Speick and hopefully it'll be a good experience.

Last edited:
The ingredients list on my Speick Vegan shaving stick package :

Potassium Stearate, Sodium Stearate, Potassium Laurate, Sodium Laurate, Glycerin, Aqua, Parfum (fragrance) ***, Valeriana Celtica (Speick), Extract **, Lavanda Angustifolia, Herb oil, Lauric acid, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Linalool *, Limonene *, Eugenia *, CI 15850 (Pigment Red 57)

* = component of essential oils
** = Organic ingredient from biologically regulated wild harveating
*** = Combination with essential oils

In any case (new or old formula) I'm happy to use the Speick and hopefully it'll be a good experience.
Potassium Laurate is one of the ingredients listed on the new formula sticks. So, no luck this time. I'm sure it will still be fine, though.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Yesterday I found 2 Speick sticks, 3 Palmolive sticks, 6 Wilkie sticks, and 6 Valobra sticks in a drawer in my office. I have only the dimmest recollection of purchasing them. Must have been during the phase when I'd have stuff sent to my workplace so that my wife wouldn't find it. I'm so mature.

Last edited:
I tried the new formula, however I haven't tried the old as I intended to snag some tallow ones before they went bye-bye but I received the new ones instead.

Anyway, I think it's a fine soap, it lathers pretty easily and has a premium feel. I find in general vegan soaps are just a little lighter and fluffier and tallows are denser, and I would categorize this the same, as a somewhat lighter foam, but all in all no complaints and anyone who enjoyed the past incarnation, in particular the scent and whatever beneficial properties the Spieck in meant to impart, I think they could continue to enjoy using this.

I tried the new formula, however I haven't tried the old as I intended to snag some tallow ones before they went bye-bye but I received the new ones instead.

Anyway, I think it's a fine soap, it lathers pretty easily and has a premium feel. I find in general vegan soaps are just a little lighter and fluffier and tallows are denser, and I would categorize this the same, as a somewhat lighter foam, but all in all no complaints and anyone who enjoyed the past incarnation, in particular the scent and whatever beneficial properties the Spieck in meant to impart, I think they could continue to enjoy using this.

May I ask where you are located, and which vendor you used to acquire the non-tallow Speick sticks?

I wasn't going to buy anything, since my current stash of soaps and creams can probably last easily 10-20 years of extensive use, but I also couldn't pass on that offer. The veganism madness is indeed going too far. The sticks are also going for around the same price. Are the tallow sticks no longer in production?

I wasn't going to buy anything, since my current stash of soaps and creams can probably last easily 10-20 years of extensive use, but I also couldn't pass on that offer. The veganism madness is indeed going too far. The sticks are also going for around the same price. Are the tallow sticks no longer in production?
The company sent out information saying all future soaps would be using the new formula.

The older formula soaps may still be in stock in stores until sold out.

The company sent out information saying all future soaps would be using the new formula.

The older formula soaps may still be in stock in stores until sold out.

Then I guess I have to try both and see if the difference is worth stocking up with the sticks or not.

Then I guess I have to try both and see if the difference is worth stocking up with the sticks or not.
I'd say get some of the tallow ones if you still can find them (and if you are not in particular looking for a tallow free stick). The performance of the tallow stick is nothing but excellent. Once you run out of stock you still can switch to the new formula. I haven't tried the new formula but would be surprised if it surpassed the performance of the tallow formula which is sooo good.

I'd expect the old stock won't be available for a long time anymore.

I recently have grated three sticks into a bowl. Perfect performer...
20211201_123733-01.jpeg

Top Bottom