What's new

Et tu Speick Stick?

I managed to get one, should have bought more but chances are one is probably enough before I get to use up tabacs and palmolives and other 20x soaps.

I took delivery of 5 sticks yesterday as well 😂
Luckily (or maybe not) it is a 15 minute drive to “the German store.” If they carried the Speick shave cream and different AS options, it would save in shipping (or spending more to get free shipping). I also cleaned them out of Tabac pucks when that reformulation became known.

My shipment arrived.

I would like to pick up one of the new formula sticks to do a side-by-side comparison. Even though I bought these four, I'd love to find out that the new version is just as good.

proxy.php

...I'd love to find out that the new version is just as good...

Thanks! I had seen that before and it definitely sounds promising. Still would like to see for myself, though.

Shave No.2. 2 days growth, Post War Fat Handle Tech, Simpson G2, Dorco Prime, Speick AS. Let me say I like Dorco ST-301 and Primes. I find them sharp, close with some noticeable feedback.

Not comparing new Speick to anything but on it's own. I have untreated well water with lots of iron and enough salts that we have to CLR or vinegar soak the shower and sink nozzles each season to clear them out.

New Speick's lather development is exceptional. It seems to have a wide latitude for hydration. Trying new soaps I run them to sheen or a little beyond for trial purposes. It held together well at sheen and a few dips beyond. Didn't press it further but the lather felt like it could go more and hold up fine if a person needed. Impressed.

Slickness is typical for the soaps in inventory. No drama on first cut, second, third nibble if desired - no issues. If I shave the strong side and come back for a clean up nibble on the off side it works but that's a little too much to expect perfection. Well unless it tallow Tabac. :)

Clean up is on point for my skin. This soap rinses clean and fresh, no residual greasy goo but certainly not drying either. Beautifully neutral.

Would I buy this stand alone not having a dozen sticks of old Speick in inventory. Two shaves in I'm surprised. I don't like being a peacock-tail waving fanboy but this is pretty nice soap. YMMV.

edit; Cut a cookie off the stick and stuck it in the bottom of a SS dish. Loading brush from 'mini puck'. So this is not traditional sitck-age application. Again take everything I say with a hunk of Lovely Pink Pakistani Himalayan Salt!

Last edited:
Shave No.2. 2 days growth, Post War Fat Handle Tech, Simpson G2, Dorco Prime, Speick AS. Let me say I like Dorco ST-301 and Primes. I find them sharp, close with some noticeable feedback.

Not comparing new Speick to anything but on it's own. I have untreated well water with lots of iron and enough salts that we have to CLR or vinegar soak the shower and sink nozzles each season to clear them out.

New Speick's lather development is exceptional. It seems to have a wide latitude for hydration. Trying new soaps I run them to sheen or a little beyond for trial purposes. It held together well at sheen and a few dips beyond. Didn't press it further but the lather felt like it could go more and hold up fine if a person needed. Impressed.

Slickness is typical for the soaps in inventory. No drama on first cut, second, third nibble if desired - no issues. If I shave the strong side and come back for a clean up nibble on the off side it works but that's a little too much to expect perfection. Well unless it tallow Tabac. :)

Clean up is on point for my skin. This soap rinses clean and fresh, no residual greasy goo but certainly not drying either. Beautifully neutral.

Would I buy this stand alone not having a dozen sticks of old Speick in inventory. Two shaves in I'm surprised. I don't like being a peacock-tail waving fanboy but this is pretty nice soap. YMMV.

edit; Cut a cookie off the stick and stuck it in the bottom of a SS dish. Loading brush from 'mini puck'. So this is not traditional sitck-age application. Again take everything I say with a hunk of Lovely Pink Pakistani Himalayan Salt!
Thanks for your review. What about the scent? Does it differ from the former version or does it smell the same (inter alia scent strength)?

Wonderful @old_school ! Now, what should I do? Which Speick option is best? I think I'll put my hand in my wallet again! I am lucky that in Romania Speick is cheap!

Wonderful! Now, what should I do? Which Speick option is best? I think I'll put my hand in my wallet again! I am lucky that in Romania Speick is cheap!
I'd opt to get a good amount of the old one first (it is excellent)- it'll be unobtainious very soon. Then I'd buy a new one and compare the performance. If the new formula is as pleasing for you, you can stick with it. If not, stock up while you still can.

Thanks for your review. What about the scent? Does it differ from the former version or does it smell the same (inter alia scent strength)?
SWMBO nose is better than mine and says they're pretty much the same. The tallow may be a bit stronger but that could be because an entire puck is smashed in a tub compared to a disk cut from the stick for the new.
Wonderful @old_school ! Now, what should I do? Which Speick option is best? I think I'll put my hand in my wallet again! I am lucky that in Romania Speick is cheap!
What @JAHE said. Personally I'd pick up tallow but it seems pretty much gone here. It's a known product and wonderful and soon to be unobtanium. Just the end of an era makes it special to have on hand.

The new stuff is going to be all there is shortly so it will available whenever you need it. Which is best? Can't say yet. La Toja next then tallow Speick.

Thank you again, Mr. @old_school , for your answers. Do you see tallow Tabac stick over this new vegan Speick?
I ask you because I know Tabac better than Speick. In Romania, 100 gr Tabac stick was sold cheaper than 2x 50 gr Speick stick.
I pulled the trigger and ordered a single Speick Vegan stick, it was hard to refrain from ordering more.

Received my order today.
Unfortunately the vendor send the new version, though they had pictured the old version and had quoted the old ingredients list on their webpage. 😞
Good news. I managed to find another german vendor who confirmed to send the tallow version prior to pulling the trigger. Unsurprisingly, the vendor is sold out now. 😉
:thumbup:

Top Bottom