What's new

Esterbrook Owners

I have seven. A red SJ, blue transitional J, black LJ (Bell Systems pen), black, green, copper,gray J pens. None are currently inked.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have SJ and I enjoy it when I use it but it's a small and thin pen and just not one that I end up inking very often

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
My first fountain pen, I remember having a beat up black J in 4th grade. Terrible nib, a 1550, scratchy as heck. Loved that pen, though.

I tried to collect a lot of different styles and colors over the years. I had purchased a couple boxes of N.O.S. nib units, 2XXX and 9XXX. About 15 years ago I started selling some of the pens off, I had over fifty. Probably saved about twenty five.

Great robust pens, inexpensive, good for tinkering, and fun to collect. Unfortunately I rarely bring one out. :001_unsur
I've got other favorites now.

I have a rather large number of them. I don't use the J series or Dollar Pens much any more, even though they are excellent pens; they are just fighting it out for spots in the rotation with even better pens. I did use one of the SJs and one of the Dollar pens a couple of months ago, wrote them dry, flushed and stored them again.

On the other hand, I have three Esterbrook Dip-Less sets constantly inked with different colors, and used as desk pens at home. These are a sort of dip pen / fountain pen hybrid, where a fountain pen nib and feed unit sits soaking up ink from the well until you're ready to write with it.

Nice representation. I have a few myself(Transitional J, Double J, SJ, LJ, and even a Dollar Pencil). I am slowly working through a few different nibs, finding what works best for my writing style, note taking and memos, as well as more formal correspondence.
These are pretty stout pens, and at a great price.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Sold all of them.

proxy.php

I have three SJ's, red, blue, and green.

I enjoy writing with them, but have only one inked at a time.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I really like Esties, especially the transition Js. Everything about them appeals to me. Restorable, great colors, not expensive, interchangeable nibs, solid, vintage, art-deco styling. The only thing I don't like is that I seem to have restored mine with sacs that deteriorate within a few years of use. When they fail, it is ink everywhere! Lever fill pens are my least favorite for that reason. Still, a lot to be said for the humble Estie.
A grey SJ was my very first fountain pen and it got me started.

I mentioned my Dip-Less sets, and shortly thereafter noticed that the dual set had developed slime in the bottle.

It occurs to me that I probably use these Esterbrooks even more than the Dip-Less. I hope I'm not jinxing them, but then, what can go wrong with mechanical pencils? Don't answer. But I like these vintage pencils with their thick leads.

The gray one has the name of a machine tool company on it. I don't know how many advertising Esterbrooks there were.

proxy.php

I have more than a few, in most of the older varieties including desk and dipless. I don’t use them much but they are robust pens. A black J was the first pen I restored some 18 years ago. I had advice on that project from two of the notable pen mechanics who are no longer with us; Hal Arnold and Frank Dubiel, both good guys.

I’ve restored more than a few J types now. I actually have a surplus of nibs now. These are fantastic pens-hearty and reliable. Robust is a great word to use. If anyone want to swap nibs or try out a different flavor, PM me. There are a couple if still like to try and some I can loan or trade with.

Top Bottom