What's new

Esterbrook dipless desk pen

You're a bunch of enablers, I just bought one of these sets off our favorite auction site, used, but I picked it up along with some old ink bottles for $20 delivered. I'll be sure to post some pics or at least a description once it arrives. I've been looking for a decent desk set for awhile and it looks like I've found one, not I just have choose an ink for it. Currently, the only bottle of ink I have is my 5 O' clock shadow.

Strop, according the FPN you can get a gasket for it at the hardware store in the plumbing isle.

strop

Now half as wise
You're a bunch of enablers, I just bought one of these sets off our favorite auction site, used, but I picked it up along with some old ink bottles for $20 delivered. I'll be sure to post some pics or at least a description once it arrives. I've been looking for a decent desk set for awhile and it looks like I've found one, not I just have choose an ink for it. Currently, the only bottle of ink I have is my 5 O' clock shadow.

Strop, according the FPN you can get a gasket for it at the hardware store in the plumbing isle.

Pendemonium says the same thing, but they reference a True Value model, and I just haven't been able to get to one yet. I've looked at the two stores local to me without success. I'll check over at FPN.

Wow. Mint in the box. I used one for four years in high school (boarding school). Mine was black. I honestly don't remember liking or disliking it, its just what I wrote with when at my study hall desk. 3,5 hours of study hall 6 days a week, less on Sunday. I wish I could remember what happened to it. Enjoy!

Legion

Staff member
Wow. Mint in the box. I used one for four years in high school (boarding school). Mine was black. I honestly don't remember liking or disliking it, its just what I wrote with when at my study hall desk. 3,5 hours of study hall 6 days a week, less on Sunday. I wish I could remember what happened to it. Enjoy!

Well... it wasn't mint. It had been used, and there was dry ink in it. But easy enough to clean up good as new.

Mine is sitting in my mailbox waiting for me to get home! I'll probably clean it up and maybe dip the pen a few times, but I won't load it until I get it to my office tomorrow.

OK mine arrived safe and sound and is currently broken down and soaking in some soapy water for a bit. When I washed out the capillary feed from the ink well it came out blue-black, ok that makes sense, a bottle of quink blue-black came with it. Then I rinsed the nib and little feed cavity and it came out red and a little black, crap that has to be from one of the two bottles of india ink that came with it. We'll see if it will all clean up this evening or not, I'm really looking forward to using this at the office.

Legion

Staff member
OK mine arrived safe and sound and is currently broken down and soaking in some soapy water for a bit. When I washed out the capillary feed from the ink well it came out blue-black, ok that makes sense, a bottle of quink blue-black came with it. Then I rinsed the nib and little feed cavity and it came out red and a little black, crap that has to be from one of the two bottles of india ink that came with it. We'll see if it will all clean up this evening or not, I'm really looking forward to using this at the office.

Gah!... India ink bad.

Hopefully it has not infected your pen. I had a Parker 51 a little while ago, which I was sure had been gummed up with India ink. A bit of Ammonia in water sorted it out. According to the resident experts, that meant that it was gummed up with regular ink, not India. All good.

Oh, and we will need pictures.

Ok, here is mine. It has a white base model #444 and loaded part way with Noodler's 5 O' clock shadow since it was the only bottle I have until my order arrives from Goulet later this week.

$Esterbrook.jpg

Attachments

• $Esterbrook.jpg
    $Esterbrook.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 86
Looks like a 447. 447 had plastic bases like yours (although there is another version called a 447 that is a bit different). Green is a more uncommon color. Usually in black, sometimes in white, but green is slightly uncommon.

Y'all are evil. Since this thread posted, I've been fighting off the dip-less bug. Like they say on ST:TNG, "Resistance is futile." So, what should I get? 444? 447? One of each? Seriously, what should I be on the lookout for? The pens should not be lever-filled, right?

Legion

Staff member
No, they fill by capillary action from ink stored in the base. No lever or moving parts necessary.

Oh, very cool. I have a Dip-Less base that used to be my grandfather's, and haven't gotten around to sourcing a pen for it yet. This reminds me that I still need to do that.

Legion

Staff member
You have been here for over a year- you should know the answer is both :biggrin:

LOL. Mine is a 447, so I'd say go for that one. But I haven't tried the other one, so take my recommendation with a grain of salt. (and buy both :biggrin1:)

I'm rocking my 444 at the office. I did have to get a new nib since one of the tines on my 9668 nib on the pen is shot. Finding replacement nibs of all types was a lot easier than I thought. I just had a 2442 arrive this evening, it's a fine falcon stub. I'll twist it on in the am and toss up a new pic for the group.

Oh, gosh, yes. Esterbrook nibs can be found at flea markets and antique stores, as well.

I once sorted through a whole box of pens at a flea market and found a whole handful of the nibs, just floating around loose in there. I showed them to the guy selling and asked how much. Apparently I know more about these nibs than he did, because he grabbed them out of my hand and snapped "no nibs, these are for other pens." I suppose he thought I was going through pulling them out of pens or something. I chose not to argue; I wasn't in the mood. Probably should have, but I just didn't have enough energy.

Top Bottom