What's new

Estate Sales

Not taking any chances. 🤯
Yeah, I kinda understand the yuck factor.

On the other hand I wonder why someone might be hesitant to use a razor that someone else used in the past, and at the same time have no thoughts about eating at a restaurant and using silverware that 100s of others have used, and no telling what kind of diseases or mouth sores they may have had, and some may even also be dead. (I realize restaurants are already having a hard enough time without me planting these kinds of thoughts, but it's just the first example I thought of.)

That said, I like using my Dad's razors, and the razors of people I have no idea who they were. I actually might feel a little more squeamish if I knew who some of the previous owners are, I have met a few unpleasant people.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Mine actually comes from my biker days. It was considered bad luck in some clubs to ride a dead man's bike.
It carries on for me into other aspects of life.

Mine actually comes from my biker days. It was considered bad luck in some clubs to ride a dead man's bike.
It carries on for me into other aspects of life.
I don't have to worry about that. I'll never be lucky enough for someone to bequeath me a Harley, not even my worst enemy.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Ironically my Harley belonged to a man who passed away. I did buy it before he passed away. It is a significantly different bike since he owned it.
20160702_134417_IMG_4125.JPG

The ghost bike with the rider of the apocalypse preparing to bring pestilence and destruction on her Father.

Back estate razors.

That's a great deal. We did an estate sale after my uncle died a couple years ago and sold his Van Der Hagen razor for around $3, which is obviously a loss less valuable than a Merkur Progress.

I fear that’s what will happen to my collection. Estate sale for 10 bucks.

I was in the antique business for many years, still am a bit. If there is one word of advice on this, get rid of all well before you've lost the ability to do so. Because when you croak with a houseful of stuff left and your kids have to deal with it, they will. Usually in a panic because they want to sell the home. The stuff in it is a distraction. Only one who makes out on the deal is the estate company. They get paid to clean out the house and get a percentage off the contents sold. Further, anything that isn't sold at the sale they have to haul away. Most have storefronts so, free inventory. Hell of a business model, second only to an auction house.

I was in the antique business for many years, still am a bit. If there is one word of advice on this, get rid of all well before you've lost the ability to do so. Because when you croak with a houseful of stuff left and your kids have to deal with it, they will. Usually in a panic because they want to sell the home. The stuff in it is a distraction. Only one who makes out on the deal is the estate company. They get paid to clean out the house and get a percentage off the contents sold. Further, anything that isn't sold at the sale they have to haul away. Most have storefronts so, free inventory. Hell of a business model, second only to an auction house.

Great advice. In addition to my uncles house that I mentioned above, we had to clean out my mom's house around the same time when she suddenly had to go into assisted living. Both of them seemed to have never let anything go over the years and it was overwhelming to have to deal with it all.

Great advice. In addition to my uncles house that I mentioned above, we had to clean out my mom's house around the same time when she suddenly had to go into assisted living. Both of them seemed to have never let anything go over the years and it was overwhelming to have to deal with it all.

It's The Great Depression mindset. You didn't let anything go because it might not be able to be replaced. Even when things improved the memory of how things changed overnight to scarcity remained. It isn't the worse thing to be afflicted with until it becomes someone else's problem.

Top Bottom