What's new

Estate razors

Is there a sticky or FAQ somewhere that gives tips for cleaning an estate razor?

One of two auction wins has just been delivered and It needs to be cleaned and disinfected.

Any tips and/or suggestions?

Cheers!

There are many many =)

I have a few bookmarked at home, at work now though...

Edit: What I have done with mine: Boil for 15-20 minutes, Scrubbing Bubbles, 91% alcohol soak for 20 minutes, hydocide (hydroxcide? not sure of spelling, i'm sure someone will come along and correct me :lol:) (stronger than barbercide) bath, boil again, scrubbing bubbles with a toothbrush. Then I leave it to sit for ~1 month in a dry place so everything that is still there can die.

I have stopped boiling razors, since it can be bad for the finish.

My method was: Soak in hot water with a good splash of vinegar (to remove soap scum) for about an hour. Then have at it with scrubbing bubbles and a toothbrush.

Then I got an ultrasonic cleaner, and use that: mix a splash of vinegar and little dishwashing detergent in tepid water in the tank, and run the cleaner for about 1 minute. Then put the razor(s) and run for 8 minutes. That really cleans them up.

I don't especially worry about germs. It's a metal surface, and it's not like I'm going to put it in my mouth. (I wonder what sort of cleaning secondhand flatware gets---I would just wash it.)

Is there a sticky or FAQ somewhere that gives tips for cleaning an estate razor?
One of two auction wins has just been delivered and It needs to be cleaned and disinfected.
Any tips and/or suggestions?
Cheers!
For disinfection, either Barbicide or Marvicide (both available at Sally Beauty Supply stores, which seem to be common as filling stations). Both brands have the same active ingredient, Marvicide twice the strength of Barbicide in the bottle, but of course you dilute it a lot. Get whichever is cheaper per use at the time. At worst, carry a small plastic bottle to your barber and ask him where he buys his, and he may give you a tablespoon, which is all you need to mix with a few cups of water. But disinfection is the last step before shaving.

An ultrasonic cleaner is the greatest-- cleans all those places you can't get to with a brush. First cleaning is 1 part white vinegar (6%) to 9 parts warm water, let soak an hour or two to get rid of lime deposits and loosen soap scum. Tilex, Scrubbing Bubbles, etc. with a toothbrush to get off soap scum. Maas or Flitz metal polish (but NO polish on gold razors).

In particular, Tilex is pretty good when squirted down the hollow handle of TTO razors, let it set about 20 minutes and flush out with hot tap water.

Top Bottom