What's new

Essential Pen Part II

I wonder if anyone could post some writing samples to show the difference in the Italics and Stubs in Medium and Broad.

How fine is the needlepoint nib? I write very small, and need a very fine line. Most pens like Parker EF are still a little too broad. The best I have found for me is the Pilot EF nibs. They write a small enough line for me. Any help would be gratefully welcomed!
Thank you!

Needlepoint is pretty thin. Think Pilot F nib. You should be OK with a needlepoint, but if you want a comparison let me know and I can write out a sample as I own both.

Needlepoint is pretty thin. Think Pilot F nib. You should be OK with a needlepoint, but if you want a comparison let me know and I can write out a sample as I own both.

I actually had this same question, and that answers it. The Pilot F writes pretty thick for me as well, while the EF is a bit overly scratchy. Looks like I might need to consider the Needlepoint nib as I look over this. Thanks Mikeschu, count me in as wanting to see both if possible. That might help quite a bit. :)

I would love to see how both look. Many thanks!!

I actually had this same question, and that answers it. The Pilot F writes pretty thick for me as well, while the EF is a bit overly scratchy. Looks like I might need to consider the Needlepoint nib as I look over this. Thanks Mikeschu, count me in as wanting to see both if possible. That might help quite a bit. :)

Ask and ye shall receive. I apologize for the crappy paper and if the pic looks bad, but I'm doing this quick with an iPhone. Upon inspection the F-C needlepoint nib seems pretty close to the Pilot F nib, but we're also talking about what's potentially 0.1mm of difference. I can probably do another writing sample if you want.

$IMG_0349.jpg

Ask and ye shall receive. I apologize for the crappy paper and if the pic looks bad, but I'm doing this quick with an iPhone. Upon inspection the F-C needlepoint nib seems pretty close to the Pilot F nib, but we're also talking about what's potentially 0.1mm of difference. I can probably do another writing sample if you want.

Wow, yeah. If that is the Needle Point compared to 78G, then I would -certainly- need to go with that. I think anything bigger would be rough. How does it write, scratchy-wise, to the 78G? About the same then?

This pen is gorgeous. I have been terribly unfair to F-C. They have attended every Raleigh show I have been at, and I have never stopped by their table. The first two years I just didn't hear much about them. Last year I knew more about them and knew they made excellent pens but sadly had my budget completely allocated elsewhere.

Has anyone reviewed the black group buy 27 yet?

Thank you for the writing samples! You have eased my mind as the Pilot 78G and Pilot Cavalier,(both in F nib), are my prefered pens to write with.

Wow, yeah. If that is the Needle Point compared to 78G, then I would -certainly- need to go with that. I think anything bigger would be rough. How does it write, scratchy-wise, to the 78G? About the same then?

For me it feels a bit scratchy from time to time, but I'm left-handed (underwriter) and new to the FP game so don't take my word at 100%.

Mike, thanks for the needlepoint demo.

Can we get some stub demonstrations from anyone?

I have the Medium Stub & Medium Italic. I actually have time tonight & will do a quick example of both, scan them & upload them. I was planning on doing it over the weekend, but was busy and didn't have time to flush them both and load them with the same ink.

I have the Medium Stub & Medium Italic. I actually have time tonight & will do a quick example of both, scan them & upload them. I was planning on doing it over the weekend, but was busy and didn't have time to flush them both and load them with the same ink.

No problem. Thanks for the effort!

Hey guys - just back in town. I'm including a sample writing below to show the different nibs. On the needlepoint, I really only recommend that for printing or drawing, or for a very experienced hand with small tips. Otherwise it is likely to feel scratchy.

Same for italics, even though we do cursive italic, if you aren't used to writing a certain way, they can feel scratchy. Stubs much less so. Remember, that F,M and B nibs are the most rounded and feel the smoothest.

Here is a sample sheet that Jim Rouse did in our office. We plan to do a cleaner one and post it on the site soon, but this gives a fairly good idea. $FullSampleJR-LR.jpg

Also, it wasn't mentioned in the opening post - but these will be available by April 1st. We are shooting for having it available well before then, but for certain by then. It is likely this time that the ones ordered with factory nibs XF, F, M and B and rollerball / CRS will ship first, as Mr. Masuyama will be returning from Japan in mid month and will catch us up on specialty nibs.

We are seeing the orders already flowing in - so thank you. There will be 50 pieces in this first batch and we'll determine demand from there.

Top Bottom