What's new

Essential Oil Cologne Recipes - Who makes their own cologne?

On a whim, I stopped into a natural foods store and discovered a who rack devoted to essential oils and carrier oils.

A visit to the library and some short reading has me equipped for the rudiments of mixing up personal colognes. Some books even had pre-made recipes for various scents.

It sounds very easy to do - add a carrier oil, specific drops of essential oils, and some additional alcohol or water. Mix it up, let it sit and give it a go.

Does anyone make their own colognes?

For less than 100 dollars, I could have a HUGE essential oil collection and could make years worth of colognes.

Does anyone know of a place where I can go to find imitation recipes for some of the popular blends that we like? Some of the recipes that I have found have self-made names; having a way to compare a specific recipe with something like, "It smells very similar to Blenheim Bouquet," will tell me which ones to try first.

-joedy

Joedy said:
A visit to the library and some short reading has me equipped for the rudiments of mixing up personal colognes. Some books even had pre-made recipes for various scents.

Wow... I didn't know the library was any good for research anymore!:tongue_sm

I googled 'essential oil recipes' and got over 6million hits... surely there is something out there that can give you some knock-off recipes...?

ada8356 said:
Wow... I didn't know the library was any good for research anymore!:tongue_sm

I googled 'essential oil recipes' and got over 6million hits... surely there is something out there that can give you some knock-off recipes...?

Yes. I've encountered a TON of them.

I read the listings and some say, Lavender, Vanilla, Bergamont and Rosewood called, "Envigorating Relaxation."

The trouble is that I don't have a frame of reference or have the benefit from experience.

This blend could smell like "Polo" which would tell me immediately to go look for another blend. It could instead smell like "Whores Handbag" which would immediately cause me to mix it up just because I'm a man and men do things like this.

I'm just looking for some guidance and reference items that I know and can compare the recipes with.

-joedy

I recall reading a post from the eminent Gordon on SMF quite a while ago. He briefly saw the formula for a Penhaligon's scent from a company representative and he estimated that there were over 100 essential oils in the mix for just the one fragrance. The breakdowns they give you in the packaging or on basenotes are just the abstract summary of the cologne. The actual making of these colognes is likely highly complex.

Of course, I could be way off base too. :)

Dennis

Mike02 said:
I recall reading a post from the eminent Gordon on SMF quite a while ago. He briefly saw the formula for a Penhaligon's scent from a company representative and he estimated that there were over 100 essential oils in the mix for just the one fragrance. The breakdowns they give you in the packaging or on basenotes are just the abstract summary of the cologne. The actual making of these colognes is likely highly complex.

Of course, I could be way off base too. :)

Dennis

You are totally ON base! The more I learn the less I know about colognes. Just when you think you understand something.. you find there is another nuance and colognes are full of nuances!

Be careful tho... if you start blending, you are likely to become completely hooked... and it can get really expensive. The worst of it is when you find you are able to make a cologne yourself, you have learned so much about others that are out there, you have to try them too.... really, really expensive....lol

Your best bet is to learn about the essential oil properties first. Then go and smell them... then start buying books and learn... This quickly turns into an aquisition disorder that is immense is size...

I started out just wearing vanilla behind my ears when I was a young girl.... sometimes I actually miss that simplicity.

Sue,

What inspires your experiments?

Do you "aim" for a certain sensation/aroma or just mix in what sounds like it would be nice?

-joedy

Joedy said:
Sue,

What inspires your experiments?

Do you "aim" for a certain sensation/aroma or just mix in what sounds like it would be nice?

-joedy

Both. I might see a recipe online or in a book I want to try. I might want to imitate something I have already smelled. I may really love certain oils and think they would compliment each other and just go for.... those are the ones that are the most satisfying... I feel like they came from me and only me. Something about that makes me feel really good.

For instance I came up with one blend of two that I was dying to try and put it up on the website because I loved it! Then I found out someone else had the same one... I am still not sure how I felt about that, but I would hate to think I had been influenced if I had known about it previously.

Other things that can inspire me.. childhood memories, the weather ( a season ) a place or a mood.... it is almost a boundless thing. Scent is a Very strong emotive for a human.. getting it right is infinitably satisfying to me.

I am new at this too tho and once I am satisfied, I want more.....it is becoming a true addiction.

Best, Sue

Mama Bear said:
Both. I might see a recipe online or in a book I want to try. I might want to imitate something I have already smelled. I may really love certain oils and think they would compliment each other and just go for.... those are the ones that are the most satisfying... I feel like they came from me and only me. Something about that makes me feel really good.

For instance I came up with one blend of two that I was dying to try and put it up on the website because I loved it! Then I found out someone else had the same one... I am still not sure how I felt about that, but I would hate to think I had been influenced if I had known about it previously.

Other things that can inspire me.. childhood memories, the weather ( a season ) a place or a mood.... it is almost a boundless thing. Scent is a Very strong emotive for a human.. getting it right is infinitably satisfying to me.

I am new at this too tho and once I am satisfied, I want more.....it is becoming a true addiction.

Best, Sue

Well you have a pretty good knack for it!

My first order of your soaps, I stuck to pretty obvious choices, but on my order last week, I branched out to some of your more complex sounding ones like energy, beau brummel, spellbound woods, and romance silver... I bet coming up with names is sometimes as hard as the scent!!

My mom is a massage therapist that is just now trying to learn about stone therapy and aroma therapy and such. I was thumbing through one of her books and it had basic receipies in it but the book is in her car ATM so I can't give you the name of it. Like Sue just said, from what I read also there is alot to it. More than I thought there would be. I was thinking you simply mixed up some flavors, it smelled good, and you were done. But it was more like 3 drops of one thing, 2 of another, and a teaspoon of something else and maybe couple more in a basic receipy.

I also expect if there are some really good and thourough recepies on the net, likely you would have to pay because of the time that goes into working it out.

If you do find some stuff though please share it with me because I am interested in mixing myself if its the right scent. Not doing it as a hobby.

Thank you! Those are all fragrance oil blends tho.. not essential oil.. there is a big difference, one is natural and one is synthetic...

Hugs,

Sue

pitbulls20 said:
My mom is a massage therapist that is just now trying to learn about stone therapy and aroma therapy and such. I was thumbing through one of her books and it had basic receipies in it but the book is in her car ATM so I can't give you the name of it. Like Sue just said, from what I read also there is alot to it. More than I thought there would be. I was thinking you simply mixed up some flavors, it smelled good, and you were done. But it was more like 3 drops of one thing, 2 of another, and a teaspoon of something else and maybe couple more in a basic receipy.

I also expect if there are some really good and thourough recepies on the net, likely you would have to pay because of the time that goes into working it out.

If you do find some stuff though please share it with me because I am interested in mixing myself if its the right scent. Not doing it as a hobby.

I believe it is like cooking! Mac and cheese is such a perfect combination... but once you have had it a few times, you want to add things to it to make it better.... :001_smile

Try this one....

Peace Cologne Recipe
By Pioneer Thinking
(Combats fatigue due to stress, tension and anxiety)

Ingredients:

3 drops Bergamot essential/fragrance oil
2 drops Frankincense essential/fragrance oil
3 drops cedarwood essential/fragrance oil
1/2 pt (300ml) 70 percent alcohol or vodka

Directions:

Directions: Pour the alcohol into a bottle or jar. Add the oils and shake well. Leave for 1 week. Don't forget to try and make your own scents as well, after all you're unique.. shouldn't your cologne be too?

And don't forget to give it a name...maybe something that sounds like your personality...so if you're a strong type then " Un Soldier" or "Journey", you get the point.

BTW I should have thought of this on the last post but the book said the best oils to get would be Grade A and one other name that was just under it quality but the A stuff would cost you a bit more.

pitbulls20 said:
BTW I should have thought of this on the last post but the book said the best oils to get would be Grade A and one other name that was just under it quality but the A stuff would cost you a bit more.

Again, it is like cooking.... quality ingredients give you a quality product. Don't make the mistake of skimping..... you will never know how really good it could have been.... :tongue_sm

Just out of curiosity, having read the recipie you posted and such, what "grade" are the essential oils that you sell Sue?

Tinzien said:
Just out of curiosity, having read the recipie you posted and such, what "grade" are the essential oils that you sell Sue?

I don't sell any essential oils.. I do sell some fragrance oils. You should be able to find many of the basic lessor expensive price wise essential oils(includes lavender) in any health food store tho!!

Bear Hugs!

Sue

Mama Bear said:
Try this one....

Ingredients:

3 drops Bergamot essential/fragrance oil
2 drops Frankincense essential/fragrance oil
3 drops cedarwood essential/fragrance oil
1/2 pt (300ml) 70 percent alcohol or vodka

Sue,

That is very interesting since two of the library books that I checked out have this exact same recipe.

Some additional questions, though.

What is the point of allowing the mixture to "sit" for a few weeks?

Is there any reason to use vodka verses alcohol? (costs?)

Also, the H&R Fragrance book has several thousand fragrances/colognes listed by primary scents. Is this something that you have used or have read?

-joedy

Alright, but please remember that I am new to this. You may want to get advise from someone who is more experienced with this.

There are two reasons that I know of.

The first is it takes a while for the essential oils to blend into your carrier oil, alcohol or water mixture. I prefer 1 month. Keep them cool and out of direct sunlight as that can hurt your essential oils and shake them up every day.

The second is going to go back to my cooking analogy. When you make a pot of soup or tomato sauce (gravy my mother calls it) it always tastes better the next day. The first time I made a complex blend was not all that long ago and I kept a 1 oz bottle next to the bed and shook it up every day and smelled it. You could actually smell the difference in it each time.. it is like it was morphing, becoming more of a whole instead of a bunch of different parts and each day it smelled different.

That Joedy, is probably the total sum of my knowledge. Now, go back to the library...... :biggrin:

Bear Hugs.

Vodka is easier to get... make sure you get the really strong rotgot stuff tho... don't pay money for expensive stuff, you don't want or need it. You want basic raw vodka or everclear...

Sue

Hi Joedy
I am sure you are finding duplicating your favorite scents difficult. Many popular fragrances can have over 200 notes not all of which are available to the home mixer. Some natural and some synthetic.
If you would like to create a basic recipe say 3 or 4 notes I would say go for the essential oils and experiment. Remember essential oils do expire and some have very short shelf lives.
If you are looking for something more complex have you considered purchasing a premade fragrance oil designer duplicate? There are companies that all they do is copy fragrances and sell the oils to home crafters and such. One company I have bought from is:
http://www.saveonscents.com/index.php/cPath/19_20
This link will take you to their designer duplicate page and you can browse to see if anything suits your fancy. This site has the most extensive selection of any I have seen so have fun.
Fragrance oils can be hit or miss. Ones I was sure I would love have been dogs and the samples I have been sent that I had never considered buying are sometimes the one I like the most. Order a sample or two and see what you think.
HTH
J

Top Bottom