What's new

Essential Kitchen Gadgets

I know a lot of us cook on this forum. What's your favorite, most indispensible kitchen gadget? For me, it is hard to beat the Microplane grater. These things moved from the woodshop to the kitchen about a decade ago, and I have never looked back. Grating hard cheese, getting citrus zest, etc. has never been easier. A must have item.

(BTW, these are available cheaper from many sources. I just linked to the manufacturer for reference)

For me, a well seasoned cast iron skillet. Pretty much anything that can be cooked can be cooked in a cast iron skillet.

Randy

Without any doubt the most important "gadget" in my kitchen is my pepper mill. Nothing (really, nothing) makes as much difference in so many dishes as freshly ground pepper. If you don't have a pepper mill, get one. Now... even before you order that next tub of T&H or Trumpers cream.

Scotto said:
Alas, my wife can't cook. Lesson learned.
Can I safely ass_u_me that you never watched Soupy Sales famous children's (HA!) show on his wife's ability when it came to making banana cream pie?

Scotto said:
Alas, my wife can't cook. Lesson learned.

My ex ante wife (we will be married in August of this year) can cook, but doesn't cook (well, not often). So I do much/most cooking here... which is fine with me because while she can cook, I can cook better (well, w.r.t most things - I can't bake worth a damn though).

NMMB said:
My ex ante wife (we will be married in August of this year) can cook, but doesn't cook (well, not often). So I do much/most cooking here... which is fine with me because while she can cook, I can cook better (well, w.r.t most things - I can't bake worth a damn though).

Baking? No problem. Insert the Pop Tart into the toaster. Push down lever. Pour milk. Get plate. Toaster should be done and Pop Tart is ready. Not a problem!

Randy

A good, sharp chef's knife is a cook's best friend. With it I can slice, chop, peel, crush. . .nearly everything that needs to be done in the kitchen can be done with a good chef's knife.

Although it may not qualify as a "gadget." :wink:

One other gadget I thought of is the Cameron Stovetop Smoker. Add woodchips to the bottom of this sucker, throw pieces chicken or fish on the grill and it adds big flavor to it.
As the name implies you put it on top of your stove so no fussing with an outdoor grill.

Ron

Our most essential "gadget" is our Zojirushi Neuro Fuzzy rice cooker. You havn't had rice until you have had rice from good rice cooker. Perfect fluffy rice every time. You can even set it on the timer to have rice ready when you get home. Makes good oatmeal too. There are many things you can cook in one. They are a staple appliance in asia like a toaster is here. The Zojirushi is expensive, but well built, made in Japan, and likely to last decades.

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000718.php

rustyblade said:
Our most essential "gadget" is our Zojirushi Neuro Fuzzy rice cooker. You havn't had rice until you have had rice from good rice cooker. Perfect fluffy rice every time. You can even set it on the timer to have rice ready when you get home. Makes good oatmeal too. There are many things you can cook in one. They are a staple appliance in asia like a toaster is here. The Zojirushi is expensive, but well built, made in Japan, and likely to last decades.

http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/000718.php

Wow is that a rice cooker or a mini airplane c.q Alien technology WOW
Im IMPRESSED !

For me since im a Spartan read health freak I cant live without the Blender.
The blender gets used everyday for either a fruit smoothie as breakfast or the Yoghurt with bananas vice versa for each day.

a good chef's knife I agree , you have no idea what I have to deal with when I cook for friends I usually when in The Netherlands bring my own gear my own knife. In Sweden I had to do with a knife I could slice my finger with and it would do nothing ..try cutting tomatoes with that you get tomatoe puree. but not everyone sees the benefit of a good knife like why should you shave with a double edge when we have M3 and ! I almost forgot a Digital Scale that shows the calories I dont use it for that can be used but it rules when baking cakes ,cakes listen very narrow to ingredient balances .

http://cgi.ebay.nl/3-KG-DIGITAL-DIE...ryZ50419QQssPageNameZWD2VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Top Bottom