What's new

Essential Kitchen Gadgets

I can't live without good coffee, I don't grind my own beans anymore because I can't get close to the flavour and grind of Illy. Here's my machine:

proxy.php

vox_rox said:
A more honest truth has never been spoken. I can cook up a great meal just putting stuff together that I know will work, measuring herbs and spices in the palm of my hand, grinding pepper right into the process without spoons or cups, it usually turns out great. Recipes are like guidelines really.

However, I couldn't bake a cake, even from a mix, to save my feet! Baking, to me, is like some kind of bizarre black art, and I have inability to get out of the gate with that one. Precision, I suppose, explains much of it. I guess brain damage would explain the rest...

Peace,

Pierre

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Aha brain damage ? explains your avatar I suppose ?

I never measure when cooking , Ive learned the trade from my mother watched her cooking when I was a child and copying her but it has to be really something you enjoy.

baking is a black art without joking for real. I mean how would you by "Eyeballing " stealing Randy's word... would you measure 200gm of sugar. or 150gm raisins that is though really though its not as simple as a pinch of salt.
I usually never taste my own food when preparing really bad , I go by intuition and the smell of the food if you would measure 230gm of sugar your cake would just be more sweet not a big problem there how much milk or baking powder you add yes that does it will either rise your cake or make it collapse.
You can by all means experience, Like im using fresh lemoncurd in muffins I make and in Cakes together with grated lemon or oranges I think they call it Zest aswell ?

SSLStudio said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Aha brain damage ? explains your avatar I suppose ?

Um, yeah, and my daily desire to hold really sharp objects agains my jugular as well, I suppose. Plus, strangely, I feel SO at home here at B&B, I can't explain that. :biggrin:

SSLStudio said:
baking is a black art without joking for real. I mean how would you by "Eyeballing " stealing Randy's word... would you measure 200gm of sugar. or 150gm raisins that is though really though its not as simple as a pinch of salt.

I think my problem with baking is that you put everything together, then bake it, but once it's in the oven you have no control. It all had to be EXACTLY right first, or it's already lost.

With cooking, I can season, baste, even add ingredients along the way. I pretty much know how it's going to taste as I go along, because I can control it, at least for most things.

I think people who really know how to bake may be witches, or perhaps have witches somewhere in their lineage. That's all I can figure.

And as for coffee - really stong, dark roast, any time, thank you very much. Jonnybc's machine further up left me really wanting a Latte, or an espresso, in a really bad way. Maybe I need to get me one of those gadgets. Dammit!

Peace,

Pierre

vox_rox said:
I think people who really know how to bake may be witches, or perhaps have witches somewhere in their lineage. That's all I can figure.

Im speechless How did you find out ? my mothers Aunt was one.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Scotto said:
Is it just me, or in their "how to sharpen" pictures are they soaking the wetstones in the toilet? :eek:

:lol: :lol: :lol: They're just about the best place to buy knives, but not good at all for stones. Korin.com is better, as is japanesewoodworker.com

That sure did look like a toilet to me.

ouch said:
I wasn't joking. I don't know of any "knife sharpener" I'd run my knives over. I don't even have a steel. Knives have to be sharpened with Japanese water stones. There really is no substitute.

What I use is an man-made whetstone on a regular basis and a honing steel before every use. I don't see how a stone alone can leave a fine enough edge. But then again, I grew up sharpening knives with whetstones (which technically water stones fall under the category of) and steels, so they are what I am most comfortable with.

I steel my knives before every use. If they get a bit worse, I have a diamond-impregnated steel. Every few months I get out the old whetstone and give them a good edge. Works for me.

Whenever I cook at a friends house, I am mortified at how dull they keep their knives. Go figure.

Scotto said:
Whenever I cook at a friends house, I am mortified at how dull they keep their knives. Go figure.

Most people are afraid of sharp knives for whatever mistaken reason. I never understood it.

Scotto said:
I steel my knives before every use. If they get a bit worse, I have a diamond-impregnated steel. Every few months I get out the old whetstone and give them a good edge. Works for me.

My understanding is that using a steel on knives is basically the same thing as stropping. You are not sharpening, but aligning the edge.

Randy

ouch

Steels do not sharpen knives, they merely align the edge. A properly maintained knife should never touch a steel. Admittedly, breaking out a box of stones for a touch up is a pain in the you know what. That's where Shapton stones shine- they don't have to be soaked. A quick splash of water on top and you're ready to sharpen. Once a good edge is established, a few quick strokes on a polish stone (5-12K grit) is all that's needed between sharpening sessions. If you must use a steel, use absolutely no pressure.

A dull knife is extremely dangerous to use. One slip, and, well, you know. You guys shave, after all.

You are correct that a steel doesn't sharpen, but I disagree with your assertion that one isn't needed. Any moderate amount of banging on a cutting board (even if it is plastic or wood) will misalign the microscopic teeth at the edge, giving you the sensation of reduced sharpness. At this point, a magnetized steel will bring them back into alignment, giving you a better cutting edge. Much less work than putting a new edge on it otherwise. Of course, once things degenerate beyond that, you have no choice but to hit the stone. The steel will just prolong the time between honings - the strop is a good analogy. You are correct in that no pressure should be used on the steel.

Running a knife over steel keeps the fold correctly aligned and the edge smooth. I see it as regular maintenance.

ouch

Hand American makes some very good steels.

http://www.handamerican.com/steel3.html

As long as you use no pressure, you can't get into too much trouble. I had a discussion about this subject with (warning: shameless namedropping is imminent) Iron Chef Morimoto last summer. He was at Korin in Manhatten getting some more knives, which gives you an indication of the clientel they deal with.

Knife sharpening isn't hard, but it does require patience and practice. Once you develop a modicum of technique, you'll never settle for dull knives again.

Would you say that a brand new chef's knife needs to be sharpened in the same way that a brand new straight razor needs to be made shave-ready?

ouch

mrob said:
Would you say that a brand new chef's knife needs to be sharpened in the same way that a brand new straight razor needs to be made shave-ready?

That is usually the case. Unfortunately, most buyers (and the stores that sell them) aren't in a position to properly finish their edge.

I was in Chef Central in Paramus recently. It's a huge store chock full of all sorts of goodies. One of the workers was instructing a fellow employee how to sharpen a knife. I stood in disbelief when I realised that this rookie was learning how to sharpen by working on a customer's knife. To think that the poor customer had to pay for this guy's apprenticeship. They really knew nothing about knives, other than how to sell you a set, which is the biggest ripoff going.

Top Bottom