What's new

Essential Gillettes

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Other than my birth year and quarter Super Speed @luvmysuper / Phil graciously gifted me, all my Vintage Gillettes are British: the Flat Bottom Tech, the Raised Flat Bottom and the Rocket HD.

I don’t know if they are “essential”, but they seem to complete the genre for me.

Most recommendations here were out of the pre 60s phase. That show how Gillette razors lost more and more their reputation after that period. They optimized production processes using material such as aluminium and plastic that did not improve shaving quality.

I don't know if this is the thread to ask this question, but since I've already joined it and it concerns vintage Gillettes, I'm assuming the folks here will know.

I just ordered a "mint" 1962 Slim from DapperStudioCC - thanks to @CCS and @Star Wahl for the suggestion.

Now my attention turns to the Tech that everyone seems to appreciate. A few weeks ago I ordered a "Tech Clone" (RazorRock DE1) and used it for the first time yesterday. My question is whether the shaving experience with the clone will be more or less the same as with a genuine vintage Tech? Before I go any further down this rabbit hole, I thought I'd ask those who are most likely to have experience with both (or with other Tech clones).

So are the modern Tech clones comparable to the vintage? If the vintage razors are superior, is there a pre-war/post-war difference? If the experts tell me the difference will be appreciable, I'd probably start the search for a Tech Fat Handle (I like the appearance better than the ones with the little ball on end).:pipe:

Thanks fellas

-Sully

...Now my attention turns to the Tech that everyone seems to appreciate. A few weeks ago I ordered a "Tech Clone" (RazorRock DE1) and used it for the first time yesterday. My question is whether the shaving experience with the clone will be more or less the same as with a genuine vintage Tech? Before I go any further down this rabbit hole, I thought I'd ask those who are most likely to have experience with both (or with other Tech clones).

So are the modern Tech clones comparable to the vintage? If the vintage razors are superior, is there a pre-war/post-war difference? If the experts tell me the difference will be appreciable, I'd probably start the search for a Tech Fat Handle (I like the appearance better than the ones with the little ball on end).:pipe:
You're in luck, there's a 30+ page thread on this subject where people have shared a lot of info.

IMHO, the original brass models are still the best. There's another really long thread about which of the original Techs people like and why. There have been many variations over the years.

On the subject of which Gillette razors to choose, I'm not sure it would be the same for everyone. I'd probably choose a New Short Comb, Canadian Pre-war Tech and a late 1950's Super Speed.

Last edited:
You're in luck, there's a 30+ page thread on this subject where people have shared a lot of info.

IMHO, the original brass models are still the best. There's another really long thread about which of the original Techs people like and why. There have been many variations over the years.

On the subject of which Gillette razors to choose, I'm not sure it would be the same for everyone. I'd probably choose a New Short Comb, Canadian Pre-war Tech and a late 1950's Super Speed.
Thanks @NorthernSoul! I spent nearly an hour reading through that thread -- now I know more than I wanted to about Tech clones - and I'm not even finished yet :c9:

My next reading assignment will be the thread about the varieties of vintage Techs. I appreciate the feedback and direction!

-Sully

Top Bottom