What's new

Essential Gillettes

If a new person came to you and asked what would you recommend as the Essential Gillettes, the set that is the best of what Gillette has to offer, what would you recommend?

Personally, I would go for razors that the person can actually find. This rules out a few choices, so I settled on 2. The Post-War Fat Handled Tech and the Red-tip Super Speed. Both can be found for reasonable $$ and refinished if you want. I think these really cover the best of what Gillette had to offer.

What are your thoughts?

A Tech is a good way for someone new to DE shaving to start with. I would also recommend getting a Slim Adjustable, which is basically all Super Speed versions into one razor and also the NEW Long Comb.

There are a few other vintage Gillette razors that I like even more than those, but I think they might not be the best choice for someone new and it's always good to start with something on the safe side first before jumping to something like a #160 Goodwill and New Improved.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
If a new person came to you and asked what would you recommend as the Essential Gillettes, the set that is the best of what Gillette has to offer, what would you recommend?

Personally, I would go for razors that the person can actually find. This rules out a few choices, so I settled on 2. The Post-War Fat Handled Tech and the Red-tip Super Speed. Both can be found for reasonable $$ and refinished if you want. I think these really cover the best of what Gillette had to offer.

What are your thoughts?

If somebody asked me, "What is an essential Gillette razor that I should have?"

And my response would be, "Welcome To The Gillette 195 Adjustable AKA The Fatboy!"

proxy.php

(1) A high quality vintage razor made by Gillette that made an ace razor that people love
(2) Adjustable design with tactile click feedback dial, settings 1 through 9
(3) Literally the smoothest shaving razor that I've ever used
(4) Easy blade change ability due to the TTO butterfly design mechanism
(5) Easy to grip handle due to the superb knurling
(6) Can shave off 1-day or several day course whisker growth

CONCLUSION: IMHO, a razor that literally everybody should own at least 1 in their razor arsenal. I'd almost go as far as saying that this razor is perfection for your shave den, and if you don't have one, you are seriously missing out. I have a full review on this razor, this is a super simplified version. But I gave this razor a 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars!

I would advise a broad cross section of what Gillette has offered across the years, all of which are relatively easy to find in the UK. An old type, a new, a flare tip, a tech, and a slim adjustable.

I would suggest an Old Type, a Tech, a SuperSpeed and a Slim. These show the evolution of Gillette design and are readily available at reasonable cost.
As I bought Gillette razors over the years, I didn't think of the purchases as a collection. Matter of fact only one vintage razor I own came with a box, a mid 1940's gold ball end Tech. I believe I started shaving with a flare tip SS in the 1960s and bought a ball end tech later. What I have today seems to represent key models from the 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's. Old Type, NEW, Fat Handle and Ball End Techs, a '48-'50 Aristocrat, the last of the old type SS (1st quarter 1954), Flare tip SS, 195, Slim.

If a person had one each of the above, that pretty well covers Gillette's evolution from the 1920s to the 1960s. All are easy to find and reasonably priced. Or buy a Super Speed, Tech, and adjustable and call it good.

Off the top of my head, I'd say these are the essential Gillette safety razors, as they're all readily-available and at reasonable prices, due to said availability:

Old Type (open comb)
Tech
Super Speed
Slim Adjustable

Note that I'm not fixated on versions, years, etc. We all have particular favourites- pre-war vs. post-war Tech, what tip Super Speed, single ring vs. double ring Old Type, etc. But discussing that with someone just dipping their toes into the ocean that is wet shaving would just confuse them and give them the idea that this is a less-accessible hobby than it actually is. As I've said elsewhere, part of the beauty of wet shaving is that you have an opportunity to collect genuine antiques- greater than 100 years old- that you can- and should- actually use. As I've read, an Old Type that spent some years of its life in a WWI soldier's dopp kit will probably outlive any of us, since its construction makes it virtually bomb proof.

So, jump in with both feet, the way I did with my first purchases of a 1947 Super Speed and a VIking's Blade Chieftain Jr. Don't go overboard when discussing the kinds of razors that everyone "should have." Are my 1961 Fatboy and 1948/9 Aristocrat nice razors to have? Absolutely, and I love them. But fixating on the difficult-to-have can distract from the necessary-to-have.

I recently started this very quest (to build a small collection of representative Gillette models), and I decided to break them up into families:

Old Type- dbl ring, sgl ring, pocket, etc
New- long comb, short comb, deluxe, etc
Tech- pre/post war, ball end, zamak, etc
Superspeed- 40s, flare tip, red tip, etc
Adjustable- fatboy, slim, etc

Of course then there are the New Improved models, the various Aristocrats, Milords/Miladys, etc., but I think one each (or more) of the first 5 “families” cover the major eras of Gillette design.

And once you’ve got at least one of each to try, then you can dive deeper into the style(s) that most tickle your fancy!

I would also recommend getting a Slim Adjustable, which is basically all Super Speed versions into one razor…
Isn’t the difference in the Gillette Super Speeds just handle weight - the red tip being heaviest? The adjustables allow gap adjustment, which isn’t going to be the same as different weights. That’s my understanding anyway, but I’m no expert and I’m happy to be corrected about the variations in Super Speed models.

Adjustable Slim!
Different levels for shaving and a relatively cheap way to get into vintage.
Someone mentioned earlier an adjustable and a Tech about covers the essentials. I'd throw in the Old Type and/or NEW. But if someone wanted to capture the essence of vintage Gillette razors, an adjustable (195/Slim) and Tech covers it. The Old Type, NEW, and an early TTO would be optional.

Someone mentioned earlier an adjustable and a Tech about covers the essentials. I'd throw in the Old Type and/or NEW. But if someone wanted to capture the essence of vintage Gillette razors, an adjustable (195/Slim) and Tech covers it. The Old Type, NEW, and an early TTO would be optional.
I mentioned the Slim as the gateway to all the others since it covers a lot of bases. What I should've done is read the thread title correctly since it says Gillettes (plural) and not just Gillette (singular)🤣

I would say don't bother with vintage Gillettes, modern razors are soooo much better. (Thereby leaving more in the wild for me to potentially find):lol:

But seriously, and I'm just another echo in here, everyone should have a Tech. There's a reason Gillette made them for so many years. And the Slim is one of the best razors ever made.

Top Bottom