What's new

Espresso Machines

OK, I drink a lot of coffee, I'm in the market to decide to replace or fix my ~10 year old Saeco Super-Automatic espresso machine. It was a good machine and had a good run. It went in for repairs earlier this year and $250 later: I happily ran my machine for 6 months before I'm having issues again. Faced with yet another bill for the machine in the same year it was fixed (now a different issue): I'm thinking that spending on a new machine would be lower cost in the long run.

I'll be breaking out my Moka in the meanwhile...

With two kids: my budget is <$1k. But I'm not above looking at non-automatic machines (I just loved the convenience). I've been looking at a number of new machines but honestly don't know how they all compare at that price range.
I'm also considering:
- Nespresso which I used to have in my old office (but pod costs will run me ~$200 more / year than whole beans)
- a conventional espresso machine (which could use ese pods when I'm lazy)

What does everyone have here for Espresso machines?
Has anyone used the ESE pods?

You can't just poll to find the right option for you. You really have to start with your specific needs/wants and go from there. If you were happy with what your superauto produced and if convenience trumps all else for you then another superauto or a Nespresso could be a good fit.

A semiauto and grinder would be a good option if you're looking for better quality in the cup than what a superauto or Nespresso can produce and if you're willing to deal with the learning curve. $1K should be just about the cost of a package consisting of the entry level setup typically suggested by espresso enthusiasts: the CC1 and Vario.

If you're going to use pods then there's not much point (IMO) in going with a semiauto and grinder. You have to use properly ground (and the grind will change over time) freshly roasted beans if you're looking to get the best quality in the cup. IMO pick a direction and go with it versus trying to find a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none solution. If laziness is a concern then go with a superauto or Nespresso. I've never found it to be a big deal even when I feel lazy to grind, dose, tamp and pull but YMMV.

What does everyone have here for Espresso machines?
FWIW (won't be relevant to your budget) I have the Alex Duetto 3.0. If you're considering a semiauto then definitely do not leave the grinder as an afterthought. I have a Super Jolly but I'm looking to upgrade to something like the K30.

Last edited:
To echo takeshi's advice, if you ultimately decide to go the semi-auto/manual route, make sure to budget for the grinder FIRST. You don't want to get a nice machine, then find your pulls are subpar simply because you can't dial the grind appropriately.

There are some GREAT options out there in your specified budget, and even better options if you are able to increase it a bit.

Sounds like your passion is more drinking than making.

What everyone else has won't help you but I never pass up a chance to play show and tell :001_smile

proxy.php

proxy.php

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
10 years is pretty good for a home kitchen grade superauto. I am liking my delonghi magnifica which is also superauto. The price was right, too.

Depending on what was repaired 6 months ago and what would get repaired now, maybe your Saeco could run for another 10 years. :)

I use a manual lever so I don't have much specific advice to offer. One thing to consider is how many other ways you make coffee when your espresso machine is working; e.g. french press, drip, etc, and if those are part of the equation it would help justify getting high quality a stand alone grinder if you did not already own one. Which would then change which espresso machines to consider.

I've a decent burr grinder to get me a decent pot, French press or moka. I pulled out my moka this morning for some coffee and, to be honest, if it were lager (8-10 cup rather than 4) : it would be quite convenient.

I've always liked manual or semi auto machines but never owned one so I've reaped the convenience of the Super. I make my coffee for the day in the morning and take it to work with me (as the coffee at work is vile and that I switched to decaf).

I have one or two cups on the weekends - and I can easily spend the time then. But during the week, between getting two kids fed and out the door, convenience is appreciated.

The one thing a good automatic will do is give you consistency from cup to cup, every time, plus they are less messy to use. I have the Gaggia Academia, which replace several Jua Capresso models (both semi and automatic models). The Gaggia does a superb job at frothing milk, so if you drink a lot of milk-based coffee drinks, it's a good way to go. One caveat, however....the Gaggia Academia does a great job at flushing itself out after brewing, but the warning to empty the dregs tray is based on number of pulls, not a sensor. If I wait until the machine tells me to empty the tray, I will have overflow on the counter. Also, the coffee is not as hot as I'd like it to be, but 20 seconds in the microwave corrects that.

For $1k, the Astra Pro is as close as you'll get for a serious quality machine, and it's $1050. But it doesn't sound like you have an espresso grinder, which means another $275 minimum for a Cunill TRanquilo or Baratza Preciso. That blows your budget.

Check wholelattelove for refurb super-autos.

This would probably be a bad fit for someone that wants an automatic... But if you are mechanically inclined and are restricted in what you are willing to spend I would suggest looking at the used restaurant/espresso supply stores in your area. It is often possible to pick up a used commercial machine for very little... You are definitely making compromises as a commercial machine normally requires: being plumbed in; external pump; takes up alot of space; produces lots of heat; etc. I picked up a single group LaPavoni Bar for a couple hundred dollars and it served me well for several years. It needed a good cleaning when I got it but worked pretty well once I learned how to use it. The total amount spent was less than 500 including replacing the pressure stat with a PID controller.

Depending on timing and location used (or lightly used) equipment can be quite a savings.

Ruckin.

Top Bottom